Wyoming’s Wilderness Area Nonresident Restrictions

I don't apply for Wyoming and I never have. The wilderness rule is the reason I don't. Total BS.

I stopped applying for New Mexico when they started their latest outfitter welfare program.

I quit applying for Utah when I realized all the non-resident tags given to the crooks running the expo.

I know those staes don't give a rip about me or my money. They have guys beating down their doors to hunt there.

I get plenty of tags in other states to burn all my vacation and then some.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Thank you!

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming G&F are the biggest crybabies that scream of there budget shortfalls every chance they get. I just wonder what they would say if the nonresident dollars were to fall off for a couple of years. I am sure that someone on here will chime in claiming that it is federal money that make up the majority of the department’s budget. I am not buying that. Without nonresident money Wyoming G&F budget would take a significant hit and do you think that the residents and outfitters will come to the rescue. I doubt it they seem to scream bloody murder every time their tag prices go up $5 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I don't apply for Wyoming and I never have. The wilderness rule is the reason I don't. Total BS.

I stopped applying for New Mexico when they started their latest outfitter welfare program.

I quit applying for Utah when I realized all the non-resident tags given to the crooks running the expo.

I know those staes don't give a rip about me or my money. They have guys beating down their doors to hunt there.

I get plenty of tags in other states to burn all my vacation and then some.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Well said. I was unaware of Utah’s issue. I will have to look into it.

I agree that nm outfitter welfare system is not right but nm is so cheap and I have been fortunate drawing tags there that Is why I choose to look the other way.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
While I agree wild the wilderness aspect of the OP post I cant get on board with the opportunity part. Aside from the BS wilderness law they offer generous NR allications. I cant see anything changing as it seems like the outfitters association has their hand on some balls in the states government.

Last edited:
Wyoming G&F are the biggest crybabies that scream of there budget shortfalls every chance they get. I just wonder what they would say if the nonresident dollars were to fall off for a couple of years. I am sure that someone on here will chime in claiming that it is federal money that make up the majority of the department’s budget. I am not buying that. Without nonresident money Wyoming G&F budget would take a significant hit and do you think that the residents and outfitters will come to the rescue. I doubt it they seem to scream bloody murder every time their tag prices go up $5 bucks.

Me, me, me I want to hunt the wilderness.

Wyoming could double their nonresident tag prices and they’d still sell out. They’ve got you where they want you and theres nothing you can do about it.

Boycott or apply and don’t make a fuss about it.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
States should set their own rules based on the input of their residents. Nonresidents opinions don’t mean much.

I’m an Idaho resident and have plans to hunt Wyoming and other western states in the next few years. It’s not my place to say anything about how Wyoming runs things. I should just be grateful they give some tags to nonresidents. They could give zero and it would be understandable.

I think that is a great idea. I would recommend the special draw. $1350 for a elk tag on the states marginal elk ground is more than reasonable.

I think that is a great idea. I would recommend the special draw. $1350 for a elk tag on the states marginal elk ground is more than reasonable.

Haha thanks for the advice. If the elk tag is marginal, go elsewhere. Maybe you should hunt your home state for elk. Wait... you’re just pulling tags from other states.

There’s this thing called supply and demand. If you weren’t aware, Wyoming hunting demand outweighs supply.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho if you had done your research WY 2 top trophy Elk counties are Park and Teton which happen to be predominantly Wilderness. Coincidence I am sure.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Legality aside you have to be a special kind of douche to agree with a state not allowing United states citizens from hunting on federally own wilderness area or any publicly owned land for that matter.

And even a bigger douche to be a nonresident and gladly bend over and take it Idaho.

slick

WKR

Hunting seasons must be winding down with all the name calling lately.

Elkhuntrr- besides you whining about it
and proposing a boycott, which we all know won’t be a thing.

What do you suggest as a solution?

Its one of those things, as a NR you don’t have any say in it, and it’s just how it is. Be fortunate that you can hunt there at all.

Edit: Just looked- 36 posts in. Great start.

Last edited:

Hunting seasons must be winding down with all the name calling lately.

Elkhuntrr- besides you whining about it
and proposing a boycott, which we all know won’t be a thing.

What do you suggest as a solution?

Its one of those things, as a NR you don’t have any say in it, and it’s just how it is. Be fortunate that you can hunt there at all.

Edit: Just looked- 36 posts in. Great start.

Exactly this.

At the end of the day, WY still offers some of the best nonresident deer, antelope and elk opportunities in the west. So either apply and hunt where you can, or move there and enjoy one of the last great hunting states in the US to its fullest. It's downright cheap to hunt there out of state compared to most other western states. And value to $, I'd challenge any tag/state in the west for nonresidents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wyoming has a bit of an "out" in that any resident can guide 2 hunters provided he doesn't accept any gratuity. I took friends hunting in wilderness areas several times back when I lived in Wyoming. Wish AK had that, in AK they have the provision you can guide a close relative, but not a friend.

So as an alternative to moving to WY or AK, you can make a friend in WY or marry someone from AK! 🙂

It's downright cheap to hunt there out of state compared to most other western states.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I believe you are completely wrong on this unless you are talking about hunting females. It is over $800 non refundable to apply and gain points for male species in Wyoming. I did the math this spring and Wyoming was the most expensive.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
You more than Welcome to change addresses. Better yet try and get more Non-Residents fired up, grab your pitch forks and boycott Wyoming all together. I'm sure that lack of revenue will cause our great state to reconsider how to manage lands.....not. If it bothered you that bad I'm sure there are better avenues than bitching on forums to get those regs changed. My guess....all you have done is gripe about it an haven't contacted anyone in any position to change it. Sometimes squeaky wheels are just that.