Wyoming’s Wilderness Area Nonresident Restrictions

I believe you are completely wrong on this unless you are talking about hunting females. It is over $800 non refundable to apply and gain points for male species in Wyoming. I did the math this spring and Wyoming was the most expensive.
It's most definitely refundable if you don't draw. I've hunted WY out of state for years. Deer points are 40 ish bucks, elk are 50ish. Can't remember exact prices. Take into consideration the quality of the deer/elk hunts available, especially in 2 to 3 point units, you cannot beat it.

But please, boycott and don't come! Hunting is terrible. Try Utah

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's most definitely refundable if you don't draw. I've hunted WY out of state for years. Deer points are 40 ish bucks, elk are 50ish. Can't remember exact prices. Take into consideration the quality of the deer/elk hunts available, especially in 2 to 3 point units, you cannot beat it.

It’s over $800 non refundable. Do the math. It’s the most expensive state to apply and build points in. I’m talking applying for oil also not just 1-2 species. If we are picking and choosing species it’s a lot harder to compare.

Nice edit. I never said anything about boycotting. I was just correcting misinformation on the net.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
You more than Welcome to change addresses. Better yet try and get more Non-Residents fired up, grab your pitch forks and boycott Wyoming all together. I'm sure that lack of revenue will cause our great state to reconsider how to manage lands.....not. If it bothered you that bad I'm sure there are better avenues than bitching on forums to get those regs changed. My guess....all you have done is gripe about it an haven't contacted anyone in any position to change it. Sometimes squeaky wheels are just that.

I have written the previous Governor on this issue twice. I think that I will try my luck with Wyoming’s new governor, Governor Gordon. It’s really not a fair law and if enough of us write him maybe it will initiate a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s over $800 non refundable. Do the math. It’s the most expensive state to apply and build points in. I’m talking applying for oil also not just 1-2 species. If we are picking and choosing species it’s a lot harder to compare.

Nice edit. I never said anything about boycotting. I was just correcting misinformation on the net.
800 non refundable for what? I just did a 3 point draw mule deer hunt this year that cost me a total of $515 buck over the course of 3 years of point+the draw and an archery permit. It was an unbelievable quality hunt. We saw some of the biggest bucks I've seen anywhere.

As I said, I've hunted WY for years out of state. I've done the math in my bank account

amassi

WKR
Weatherby moved their entire operation to wyoming to hunt, that's saying something.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR

False-
A deer tag with 3 preference pts in Nevada $815
Same tag in Wyoming $515.

The wilderness rule is dumb for sure, there is still a ton of land to hunt that isn't off limits. There are big animals in low point units...... it's somewhat affordable..... Don't know what else to do man. I can't get things to change in my home state, hard to think there's even a remote chance in another state.
This is the point folks. I wish I could hunt some of the wilderness areas too. Might work out someday with a resident buddy. I'd love to move there in the next few years. But holy cow, count your blessings.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Gordon is pro-wildlife. Investing millions in migratory studies and protecting migration routes. My opinion is to him less is more and I don't disagree. Sometimes fair isn't always equal and in this case allowing less people in the wilderness is allowing those herds to be stable. I don't think the loss of revenue from the few NR that are mad about the wilderness is a factor. Though I applaud you for doing more that just bitching about it. I'm not a fan of it changing.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Write to:

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon
Idelman Mansion
2323 Carey Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0010

Or call:

Phone 307.777.7434

Fax 307.632.3909

Good riddance if you don't like the rules don't apply or you can always move here and not have to worry about it. I always love how non residents expect states to cater to them instead of being grateful for the opportunity
Yea the whole states rights concept is a little different out here than some of our more easterly folks are used to lol. WY is a dang great state to live in. Cannot wait to move back.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
False-
A deer tag with 3 preference pts in Nevada $815
Same tag in Wyoming $515.

Nevada operates off of a bonus point system not a hybrid preference point system like Wyoming. It’s tough to compare

amassi

WKR
Nevada operates off of a bonus point system not a hybrid preference point system like Wyoming. It’s tough to compare

I see no appreciable difference as it pertains to drawing a deer tag.
I send both states money every year for a pt to eventually draw a deer tag
Both units I hunt take 3 pts to draw
One cost 300 more
The 3 pt unit in Wyoming is much better, and cheaper.

One cost 300 more

There ya go dirtytough. Seems pretty straightforward to me. It's not hypothetical, some of us have actually already done this and counted the money and noted the quality of our hunts

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Good riddance if you don't like the rules don't apply or you can always move here and not have to worry about it. I always love how non residents expect states to cater to them instead of being grateful for the opportunity

My gripe isn’t really with the state or it’s residents. The residents obviously benefit from the law but it is my belief that the state government, the G&F agency and the outfitters there are greedy.

You guys don’t know how lucky you are. In Oklahoma there is very little public land and the Texans have moved in and leased all the good hunting land up at ridiculous prices.

10% of the tags at high prices to keep your tags cheap is fair but the law which was created to increase the states outfitters and prevent me from hunting federal land that my federal tax dollar support is ridiculous.

wapitibob

WKR
WY 2019 point only fees:

Antelope, $31
Deer, $41
Elk, $52
Sheep, $150
Moose, $150

Non refundable fees will include the app fee $15, and 2.5% cc transaction fee.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
One cost 300 more

WY is the only state thus far to initiate a special draw. Of all the western states they are light years ahead of the game for fleecing nonresidents. I am ok with that. That’s my choice to pay more to up my odds but the wilderness restrictions are bullshit.