X-bolt or T3X?

Hunter25

FNG
I’m looking at getting a new rifle for all around in north west Canada. Already decided on a 7mm Rem Mag, just debating on between the Browning x-bolt hell’s canyon long range, and the new tikka t3x veil wideland. I like the 26” barrel of the browning over the 24.3” of the tikka but like the smoother bolt on the tikka, need some insight on both here, thanks in advance

2five7

WKR
Have you gone to a store and handled each? I'd pick whichever fits you better. Both are a great choice for what you want to do.

Wrongside

WKR
It's personal preference in the end. You couldn't give me a X-Bort over a Tikka. But others will feel differently. Either will probably shoot well enough. Can you get to a store and handle both?

Spoonman

WKR
You need to go check them both out! I am one of very very few people that had a issue getting my tikka 7mm (also hate the twist rate) to shoot. A group better than 2” was nearly impossible to achieve !?!? I have 3 browning xbolts (300wm,300wsm,7mm) and all shoot great and have zero complaints at this time. You just need to make sure the rifle you pick feels good to you! If it feels good and shoots good then none of our opinions matter!

I have a Tikka T3 SL (not T3X) in 7RM and a Browning HCS in 300 WM. I shoot Barnes Vor TX 160’s from the 7RM and 165’s from the 300WM. Both are MOA shooters. The Tikka has a 24” barrel while the HCS has a 26” plus brake. I like and hunt with both but tend to grab the Tikka more often.

manitou1

WKR
IMO the XBolt will control recoil better. The 60 degree bolt lift, 26" barrel and the three position safety makes the XBolt win for me. Shot my truck with the Tikka while unloading one evening... a story for another time. Will not own a rifle with a two position safety now.

gbflyer

WKR
IMO the XBolt will control recoil better. The 60 degree bolt lift, 26" barrel and the three position safety makes the XBolt win for me. Shot my truck with the Tikka while unloading one evening... a story for another time. Will not own a rifle with a two position safety now.

Dang. Did it survive?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Go check them both out and see which one feels better. The Tikka are a good price and are very reliable I haven’t heard too many bad reviews on them. I just can’t get over the feeling of the plastic stock. If that doesn’t bother you though they are hard to beat for There price

Not the same caliber but I sold my Browning x-bolt stainless .308 for a Tikka T3x. Very happy with my choice. My Tikka shoots better than the Browning did and I like the stock better. Now that they aren’t using the duratouch the Browning stock is no better than the Tikka.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Handle them both and buy what YOU like. My dad owns both. His browning shoots great. Nothing wrong with his tika just never appealed to me. Might be the stock idk.

manitou1

WKR
Xbolts have a tendency to shoot well too. Two five-shot groups from two different Xbolts on first 160 gr handloads tried.

Attachments

• 20200222_132338-1.jpg
    20200222_132338-1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200222_134906.jpg
    20200222_134906.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 85

mmanincor

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 280 in both makes so comparison is apples to apples. Both very nice and accurate guns. I prefer the Tikka.
Good luck and enjoy.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t have or ever shot the x-bolt, but heard they are great shooters. I do have a 6.5 creed and 300wm in the tikka t3x, and both shoot under 1” groups at 100 yards w factory ammo

OP
H

Hunter25

FNG
Thanks everyone! I’ve handled them both not side by side but so far I’m leaning towards the x-bolt, just more that apeals to me and covers more bases for what I like, but I’ll have to pick them both up side by side just to be sure

If you want to shoot handloads or longer high BC bullets, the Xbolt will have more mag space. Tikka has a better trigger. If you want to modify with aftermarket goodies, tikka has many more options. You'll want to put a libsaver recoil pad on a tikka, browning comes with top notch recoil pads.

The two hunting rifles I use most are a factory 300 WSM and now a custom tikka in 7 SAUM. Both are great.

EastMT

WKR
I have the XB LR in 26 Nos, Hells Hells canyon in 300 WSM. Both shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups. I haven’t done a 20 round group with either of them, but I may this summer. I’ve had tikkas, they shoot great I just never was attached to them. Great gun, I just like the browning tang safety, bolt release, 60 deg, personal pref is all.

26 vs 24, I’d say that’s pretty negligible, I will say on the 26” LR if you have it on a pack and walking through alders or thick low brush, you will have your leatherman out sawing 6” off by the end of a goat hunt hahaha.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the stock and finish on the xbolt better. I like the trigger on the Tikka.

Yiu can expect sub-moa accuracy out of either.

I have a an Xbolt Pro in 300 WSM and it is a little picky. I get ok accuracy out a few loads but cloverleaf with Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X.

Flip a coin and then put twice the effort into choosing the right optics.

>>>----JAKE----->

There isn't a wrong answer, but after handling both I voted with my wallet and chose the Tikka. No regrets.

Mag space on SA Tikka's is easily solved in 20 min. in your garage with tools you probably already have.