X-Bolt Overtightened Scope Base Screws?

BCD

WKR
About a year and a half ago I mounted a Warne-Tech rail on my Hells Canyon Speed 300WSM. The info that came with the rail recommends 25 inch pounds so that's what I torqued the screws to. Recently I discovered that Browning recommends 18 inch pounds for bases. Would there be potential negative impacts of having those screws torqued to 25 vs 18 and should I pull everything off and remount the rail and scope?

Thank You!!

Wrench

WKR
99.9999999% of the time the fastner yields to the thread. Over torquing the fastner *COULD* cause bolt stretch that *COULD* cause contact with the bolt or barrel causing accuracy or mechanical issues.

With all that said, if you're worried you can pull one of the longer screws and place the screw in a dial caliper to show if it has any hourglass or not.

Me, I too would leave it.

One last thing, lubricant on a fastner, be it oil or locktite will cause a higher torque than indicated....unless spec calls for wet torque.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Any other thoughts here? If ammo was readily available I would just pull everything off and remount and rezero but every round is previous at this point....

Keep in mind, there are different grade classes of screws, if the specs that came from the supplier of the screws said 25, then you are fine as far as the screws go. Browning likely has a safety factor built in at 18, so they don't have to give you a new gun if you over torque and strip the barrel.
I wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: BCD

JoeDirt

WKR
25 in lbs is a little tight for and 8/32 screw, I would leave it. I do 20 in lbs on anything new. If you ever remove it I would so 20 in lbs