Sold X-caliber 6.5-06 Savage small shank barrel w/ PVA nut and dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had this up for sale a while back, but it is now off the action.

This is an X-Caliber barrel. #5 (Heavy Sporter) contour, 1-8" twist, 24" long, with 6 straight flutes, chambered in 6.5-06. The muzzle is threaded 5/8"-24. It will come with a PVA barrel nut. The weight of the barrel with nut is 3 pounds, 2 ounces. It has 145 rounds fired through it.

When I removed it from the action, I noticed a small blemish in the threads. This does not affect how the barrel threads onto or off of the action, as noted when I removed. I am not sure how it happened. The only thing I can think of is that I accidentally threaded a longer rail screw into the front hole when I was mounting the pic rail. The last picture shows the blemish.

Either way, I will discount the barrel because of this and throw in the almost new RCBS dies as well.

Price for the barrel and the dies is $425, shipped. Will also trade for a TC Encore barrel in a larger chambering with iron sights. It must have iron sights or at least be D&T for them.

I also have 63 modified PPU 270 brass that has been fireformed in this barrel, 50 Nosler 25-06 brass, and 100 Hornady 25-06 brass. The Noslers are all once fired. The Hornadys have 30 that are fired and the remainder of them are virgin. I will sell the brass with the barrel for $60.

I accept PayPal, Venmo, Money Order, or Personal Check from a long-term member with good feedback.

Attachments

• IMG-2897.jpg
    IMG-2897.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2895.jpg
    IMG-2895.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-2896.jpg
    IMG-2896.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-2899.jpg
    IMG-2899.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually thinking about a 6.5-06 barrel. I was going to order one but never did. I purchased dies but never order barrel.

A few thins that were holding me back was the fire forming part and having to use up barrel life and components to do so. Plus I wasn’t sure what barrel contour I wanted. Didn’t want to go too heavy as I wanted something that I could pack around on mountain hunts. Also was unsure about the twist as I would like to shoot the lighter 129 to the heavier 160s plus if possible. Lasting barrel life.

But the round just sounds so sexy and it is something that not everyone has. Plus I have a savage 110 06 that I could use for a donor. It is the older 110 with the flat back receiver. Would this affect the fit and being able to use it on that action? My first potential barrel purchase and semi custom build so apologies for all the questions and concerns.

Talk to me about contour, twist, and weight. And all the other concerns if you don’t mind. Thanks

OP
H
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am actually thinking about a 6.5-06 barrel. I was going to order one but never did. I purchased dies but never order barrel.

A few thins that were holding me back was the fire forming part and having to use up barrel life and components to do so. Plus I wasn’t sure what barrel contour I wanted. Didn’t want to go too heavy as I wanted something that I could pack around on mountain hunts. Also was unsure about the twist as I would like to shoot the lighter 129 to the heavier 160s plus if possible. Lasting barrel life.

But the round just sounds so sexy and it is something that not everyone has. Plus I have a savage 110 06 that I could use for a donor. It is the older 110 with the flat back receiver. Would this affect the fit and being able to use it on that action? My first potential barrel purchase and semi custom build so apologies for all the questions and concerns.

Talk to me about contour, twist, and weight. And all the other concerns if you don’t mind. Thanks

There is really no "fire-forming" required, unlike an Ackley or other wildcat. Just neck up some 25-06 brass and shoot it. Once it is necked up to 6.5, it is essentially 6.5-06 brass.

The twist on this barrel is 1-8, so it will handle the full range of 6.5 caliber bullets.

This barrel will work on your older Savage action. The threads are the same for every small shank Savage.

In regards to the contour, I went with a heavy sporter so that it would have enough barrel at the muzzle to thread 5/8-24. I went with the fluting to shave a bit of weight from it. As stated in the post, the barrel with the nut weighs 3 lbs, 2 oz. So, with a composite stock or lightweight chassis, you could build up a 8-9 pound gun, including optics.

I hope this answers all your questions.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response and for answering my questions. Missed the weight on your post my bad. Didn’t catch if you mentioned if it was threaded or not or if it has a brake.

Yeah makes for a pretty heavy carry rifle but a nice dual purpose bench and hunting rig.

What shot the best out of it? What kind of accuracy were you getting?

I’m trying to sell another rifle to afford this. Are you firm on price?

OP
H
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It is threaded 5/8-24, but no brake. I was using one of my suppressors on it.

I only tried three different loads in it. All with Rx-19. I got great accuracy with everything. The three bullets I tried were 120 grain Hornady A-Max bullets, 139 grain Lapua Secnars, and 143 gr Hornady ELD-X. Smallest 5-shot group was 0.483" with the 120 grain A-Max. Largest group was 0.713" with the ELD-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.