X impact fletching

I have a bitzenburger straight right fletching jig. I put some AAE max stealth vanes on with a 3 degree offset in a 4 vane configuration. However. instead of the vanes being 90 degrees from each other, 2 of the intervals were approximately 110 degrees and the other 2 were around 70 degrees. Am I doing something wrong or are these micro arrows just too narrow to use a 4 vane configuration?

Zac

WKR
Couple things could be causing this. One is you could have set the fletch config to the 75 x 105 setting. This will definitely give you a different looking offset. The other is that your nock may be a little sloppy on the index dial. You can try pushing down firmly on the shaft while fletching. Or better yet use the Zenith upgrade kit. You can easily fit four fletches on that shaft.

OP
N
@Zac thanks for the input. I was thinking about how sloppy the nock fit was in the jig, but I also thought if it was a sloppiness issue that the fletching spacing would not be so consistent albeit not congruent. I will check my settings. On a related note, does having the fletching spaced un evenly affect arrow flight?

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been finding if I’m not careful I will end up with that he same thing with the bitzenburger. I attributed it to nock slop and now pay particular attention to the spacing between fletching when gluing. Seems to have helped a bunch.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've been known to turn my arrows using the shaft instead of the fancy Bitz dial and that will create some issues if my nock slips a little.

Check which nock receiver set screw is engaged. Top to bottom, the spacing settings are: 3×120°, 4×90°, 4x75/105° (should be labeled on the jig). The set screw corresponding to your desired spacing should be flush and the other two screws should be backed out. Imperfect nock fit in the receiver can cause some spacing inconsistency, but it shouldn't be to the degree you're describing.
Screenshot_20200730-094752.png

Zac

WKR
@Zac thanks for the input. I was thinking about how sloppy the nock fit was in the jig, but I also thought if it was a sloppiness issue that the fletching spacing would not be so consistent albeit not congruent. I will check my settings. On a related note, does having the fletching spaced un evenly affect arrow flight?
Not really, it's just used for shooting off the shelf of a recurve riser.

OP
N
I'll bet I had a dumbass attack and I've got the thing set for 75/105. If I don't I am doing a heckuva job backasswarding my way into that configuration. Thanks for everyone's advice

OP
N
Problem solved. Had the jig set properly in the 90 degree selection, did not realize there is a bit of slop in the rotation and learned that each time I move on to the next vane I need to be certain the dial is turned completely to the stopping point. Once I did that it worked beautifully. Thanks for everyone's advice

Reactions: Zac

Trigger06

FNG
Glad you figured it out. Always feels good to solve a problem, especially one you caused yourself!

Zac

WKR
I suppose it does, however I think it takes an elite shooter to tell. My next you will be a LCA Vane Master Pro, that will pretty much eliminate it. The Firenock jig is better but it's really only set up for offset, and doesn't offer a helical option.