X2 Torso Length?

Drenalin

WKR
Looking at getting and Eberlestock X2 that I would use primarily for whitetail hunting, but also possibly as a daypack for an elk hunt. I've read a lot of reviews/criticisms of the pack due to the load lifters though and how it really only work for people with shorter torso lengths. My question is, approximately, at what torso length does this become a problem with the X2? I'm used to humping an ALICE pack, can't imagine the X2 is much worse than that - true or not true?

I've run the J117 Dragonfly the past two seasons. It's very similar to the X2 from what I understand. It is probably the most comfortable pack I've ever used when loaded with less than about 35#. As a day pack, I love it and have had nothing but great luck with it.

Having said that, the reason it's in the classifieds as I type this (at a price that might interest you btw), is that I am nearly 6'5" and with my long (23") torso, the load lifters are nearly level with my shoulders. So I'm going to a pack that has taller load lifters for when I want or need to carry more weight. That is literally the only reason I'm selling my pack. Otherwise, it's been everything I wanted out of an elk/mule deer pack and more. Durability is second to none IMO. They are packs that will last longer than we will.

Because of how well built and thought-out the Eberle packs are, I'm now looking at the long version of the F1 frame, and zipping on batwings. I already have the Eberle spike duffel so that will zip right into the frame.

IMO the waist belt and shoulder straps that Eberle uses on his packs are the most comfortable I've ever worn on any pack, hands down. It's like putting on your favorite sweater every time the pack goes on.

I'd say if your torso length is 21" or less, the J117 would carry really well. Not sure but the J117 appears to be 2.5" taller than the X2. Personally, I wouldn't try to haul meat in the X2 for that reason.

There is next to no lift on an x2 unless you're legally a midget. I've never used one or an alice but neither appear to have functional load lifters as far as I can tell. That said, the guy who taught me how to elk hunt uses an x2 and packs out the first load of his bull every year with one without complaining but he is a tough SOB.

I took my fresh out of the marines nephew elk hunting this year and he brought his Alice. I can't believe the loads he talked about humping around with that thing... He was happy to use a spare seek outside pack I had.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using an X2 for a few years now. The “load lifters” are not, unless you are very very short. I find they do help dial in the shoulder strap fit and the way the pack rides.

The X2 is my go to day hunt pack. I find it comfortable, easy to move in, will hold more than it should, and very user friendly. I have loaded mine with my gear and 1/2 of a nice mule deer buck. I had no issues with the weight (~70lbs with my day gear).

Being a former jarhead I have also carried excessively loaded Alice packs....the X2 blows it away for me. I can put more weight on my hips and off my shoulders with the X2, without it feeling like it is pulling me over backwards. YMMV of course....

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve been using an X2 for a few years now. The “load lifters” are not, unless you are very very short. I find they do help dial in the shoulder strap fit and the way the pack rides.

The X2 is my go to day hunt pack. I find it comfortable, easy to move in, will hold more than it should, and very user friendly. I have loaded mine with my gear and 1/2 of a nice mule deer buck. I had no issues with the weight (~70lbs with my day gear).

Being a former jarhead I have also carried excessively loaded Alice packs....the X2 blows it away for me. I can put more weight on my hips and off my shoulders with the X2, without it feeling like it is pulling me over backwards. YMMV of course....
Thanks for the feedback. What’s your torso length?

GLB

WKR
Yep no load lifters. However it is fairly comfortable pack within its limitations, think day pack with a chance to carry a small load of meat.
I packed out 2 Kodiak Blacktail deer ( not at the same time) with mine. One quartered out deer was 51 lbs and the other was 53 lbs. I only had to carry them about a mile but I would say that is about max a far as comfort with at weight.