X99 Bow String

GLB

WKR
Anybody using X99 string for your recurve? I have been using it for a couple years on my longbow and very happy with it. I like the stability and feel I get using it on the longbow

I received some for my recurve but haven’t tried it yet. I normally run D97 for recurves and wanted to give it a try.

Beendare

WKR
I think the BCY- X I have been using for a few years now is the same stuff. I like it.

My strings are a little quieter than some of the other strings I’ve had in the past. It could be partially due to the fact that I only use 12 strands and a continuous loop with wool wrapped around the ends.

I pre-stretch mine with a ratchet strap- Not very scientific, but I dont get much creep.

Reactions: GLB
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I don’t know what the difference is but I understand X99 is replacing the older BCY X
I didn’t think about the X99 very low stretch and effects as far as stress (if any more) on a recurve until I got the strings in the mail.
I didn’t worry about it on my Longbow as they are little less delicate than recurves.
The strings are built by Mountain Muffler Bow Strings and they build very nice strings.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, BCYX is low stretch, Not suitable for older wood bows. I shoot a combination of carbon limbs and have not had a problem.

I think it’s worth noting that there are other factors Related to limb stress. I shoot a fairly heavy hunting Arrow which puts less stress on the limbs. All of the problems we used to see with those old Oneida compounds was guys shooting very light arrows which left a lot of excess vibration and energy in the bow itself.
I think the same thing happens with Single string bows.

it’s worth mentioning that when I build my skinny strings, iPad the loops and I also beef up the serving so my noks fit. I sometimes mix in two strands of some 452 that I have in black along with the brown BCYX so that I can see the twists.

I’ve been using that material in my own strings for at least a few years on multiple bows even down to a 40 pound set up with a 380 green arrow and no problems

Kentucky

WKR
X99 is all I use anymore, the D97 I have gets used for padding in Flemish twist, or a colorful tracer in string.

I’m using 12/14 strands as well

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Anybody have a chart on the difference in new string material used today for stickbows ?
like 8125 vs Mercury, X99, 452 and etc.

Anybody have a chart on the difference in new string material used today for stickbows ?
like 8125 vs Mercury, X99, 452 and etc.
I was just listening to Kifarucast with Cody Greenwood and this exact subject was brought up. Tradlab saw no discernible difference in any of the fast flight materials, other than X99 and Mercury didn’t stretch as much.