xbolt 300 wsm ammo

Just picked up a new toy for elk hunt later this year.

It's an xbolt pro 300 wsm, I'm thinking to shoot 180 grains.

Question is, before I go out pick up various ammo to see which is best...
Has anyone got the same, and which ammo did you finally settle on?

thanks,
Joe

ericF

WKR
I hav an X-bolt Stainless stalker in 270 WSM and then separately a Sako A7 in 300 WSM. I load for both, but have bought factory ammo before as backup and the Barnes Vor-tx have been great in both. In fact for the 300 WSM the 165 grain Barnes Vor-tx has the same POI as my handloaded 168gr TTSX. If you use copper Barnes recommends loading down one size and that is why you see 165 gr in their Vor-tx line instead of 180 gr.

The two loads I’ve settled on for my 300wsm xbolt stainless stalker are with 180 accubonds and 200 eldx. I shoot handloads but found that nosler trophy grade 180 accubonds and hornady precision hunter 200 are both very accurate in my rifle as well. That is where I’d start unless you want to save money with fed blue box 180s which were also very accurate.

I never got Barnes to shoot well out of it in handloads or factory offerings.

OP
J
Thanks guys.
I'm not going to hand load. Don't plan on going though enough ammo to make it worth while, so cost of over the counter ammo is not too big a concern.

the Accubonds are on my list as well as the Barnes. It's interesting Barnes recommends downloading one size. Is the 165 grain starting to get light for elk?

The point with loading down for all copper is to push them fast enough and far enough. I think Barnes recommends 2000 fps impact for expansion (although the number is irrelevant as long as the concept is understood).

The main point is the faster the impact the better the result as the bullet will open more and cause more damage.

And no 165 isnt light as Elk have died from plenty of 150 to 160 gr bullets from 308, 3006, 7RM, 7 08, etc. What really matters is terminal velocity and bullet performance. For all copper bullets the general consensus is lighter and faster will perform better than heavy and not opening.

What I think is lost is the fact that inside 300 or 400 it makes little to no difference in my opinion.