XBolt HCS observations

260madman

WKR
A few things I noticed about my new HCS. First is it fits me pretty well. Second is nice smooth bolt and the trigger isn’t too bad out of the box. It’s no early 90s 700 trigger but it’s not the worst trigger you can get from the factory. third the Barrel is floated but not real well.

Okay, now if you buy one of these take it apart. Separate the action from the stock and look at the bedding job. It’s not horrible but may need some trimming with a file or deburring tool around the front action screw hole And on the side of the stock. When you go to loosen the action screws you may have been like me and said “holy crap these are ridiculous”. Screws were horrendously tight And the rear screw was tightened before the front was from the factory creating bind. Put everything back together about a dozen times because there’s some tolerance stacking and the Cerakote on the screws is rubbing on the bottom metal. I worked the screws a bit and removed the coating on the mating surfaces and the shoulder of the rear bolt. It helped a lot. Work the screws in until lightly seated feeling for any resistance. Back them out and then snug the front screw up tight and then the rear but don’t over tighten the rear because theres hardly any support for it. I went by feel to where it wasn’t spongy. Took a few tries but I think I’m where I need to be. the action sat better in the stock after this and the barrel was floated better with more clearance. I tinkered on this for about 2 hours including scope mounting because I wasn’t in a hurry and the wind was blowing 20mph and I wasn’t going to chase Bambi with a stick thrower in this wind.

We will see how it does on the first range trip sometime this week. I put a 3-9 Super Chicken on it to keep weight down and the reticle is fairly thick at 6X where it will be set most of the time. I felt a Burris XTR2 was a bit portly for a rifle like this but I may change my mind in the future.

EastMT

WKR
I had never taken mine apart before this week, after 3 or 4 years. I too noticed a bit of the bedding was beaded up where it was touching the barrel. I chipped it off, but I guess it wasn’t necessary as it shoots good, but it annoyed me so I took it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
The whole binding thing is what got my goat. I may make a pillar or two to throw in it. Will see how it shoots first.

Schwarz06

FNG
I'm interested in hearing about the pillars if you end up doing that. I have the HC Long Range in 7mm Mag and I'm having a bit of vertical issue so I'd like to see what pillars might do its just that there's not much meat for the rear screw.