Xlite or Xtherm

Whisky

WKR
I currently have a BA Insulated Air Core pad. I'm looking for a lighter pad for early to mid season use. My bag is the BA Mystic so I have no insulation on the bottom. I may sometimes not even pack a bag and just use a light bivy and bag liner for early season use.

What pad would you go with? I like the price and little lighter weight of the Xlite, and since I already have a late season pad I'm liking the idea of dedicated early-mid season pad. But something tells me I might be better off going with the Xtherm and just use that pad all the time??? Thoughts??

Thanks

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
This past season I switched from a sleeping bag to a quilt. I use the quilt in such a way as to have no insulation on the bottom. I have the original Neo Air and decided with the quilt to get an Xtherm. I'm very happy with the Xtherm. It seems to be made of a thicker and stronger material than the Neo Air or the Xlite pads I've seen. It kept me warm at 0 degrees.

I may use my old Neo Air for summer backpacking trips but for the rest of time I will be using the Xtherm. I highly recommend the Xtherm.

Yukon

FNG
I also have the Xtherm and am a big fan.

Its 3 oz heavier and a bit bigger but depends on how much of an oz. counter you are. Comfort would likely be the same between the two.

The 3 oz. is worth the little bit of extra warmth for me. I never am too warm sleeping in the summer but can get too cold in the late fall and can also bring it out for winter hunts.

Depends on where you will be hunting with it though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the xlite would be a better choice, given you have the BA for colder temps.

I have the original NeoAir, and it is actually pretty warm for me.

Daniel_M

WKR
I''ve been using an Exped Downmat 9 for most all my hunting needs here in Alaska. I've racked up about 60 days with it afield and never had an issue. My next mat will be a NeoAIR XTherm at half the weight.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Depends on where you will be hunting with it though.

Hunting lot's of places, hopefully. But I reside in the not very warm state of ND and for the upcoming season it would primarily be used here. I've been in a blizzard the first week of Sept before. Last Sept I was hunting right after a cold front and snow system moved through the area, and it was lows in the mid to upper teens. I think I may have just leaned my self towards the Xtherm the more I think about it.

Keep the opinions coming, and thanks for everything so far.

Whisky

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
This past season I switched from a sleeping bag to a quilt. I use the quilt in such a way as to have no insulation on the bottom. I have the original Neo Air and decided with the quilt to get an Xtherm. I'm very happy with the Xtherm. It seems to be made of a thicker and stronger material than the Neo Air or the Xlite pads I've seen. It kept me warm at 0 degrees.

I may use my old Neo Air for summer backpacking trips but for the rest of time I will be using the Xtherm. I highly recommend the Xtherm.

I have all good to say about the xtherm going from a BAIAC. Never notice any noise.

Dave, any chance you could start a thread about using the quilt rather than a bag? I am intrigued.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have all good to say about the xtherm going from a BAIAC. Never notice any noise.

Dave, any chance you could start a thread about using the quilt rather than a bag? I am intrigued.

Steve, I've been planning to write a review on my quilt but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a trip coming up next week but after that I will try to get the review posted.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

I just got the Xtherm for the same exact reason.

jherald

WKR
X-therm. Went from the Q core to x-therm and have not been happier with a sleeping pad. One of the two BA pads I bought had a slow leak from the valve. I did some googling and found that is one of the more common problems with BA when you do find an issue with one.

X-therm. Went from the Q core to x-therm and have not been happier with a sleeping pad. One of the two BA pads I bought had a slow leak from the valve. I did some googling and found that is one of the more common problems with BA when you do find an issue with one.

Which was more comfortable? That Q-core SL is only a few oz heavier than the Xtherm but a full inch thicker too...

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
IF you are going to be selling the BAIAC then get the Xtherm, if keeping it get the XLite. I run my neo air most of the time, unless temps are expected to get cold like late fall or early spring then I take the BAIACs along. Saves weight/space and gives you more options as well as have back up pads incase one needs to be sent in for warranty work.

Craig4791

WKR
For those of you with the xtherm. What are you using as a sack to store it in? I just got mine the other night and was surprised to see that it doesn't come with a sack....

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Craig, I love my xtherm (many nights with it) and I save the weight and stuff it with my bag/bivy. The sack they send with it is undesirable IMO. It effortless to blow up yourself.

Craig4791

WKR
Ok ill look when I get home tonight. Haven't un rolled it yet just pulled it out of its box and looked at it briefly. Must be rolled up in it.....

Yep it was in there lol!! My bad.

Pretty cool that its half the size of my REI pad when rolled up!

Last edited: