XLR Element For Hunting and Competition

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last few years, I have swapped out a few of my more traditional stocks with Element Chassis from XLR. I find that I really like the versatility and ergonomics, and I like to keep my rifles similar to each other to help with consistency. I also like the fact I can add or remove weights to go from competitions to backcountry hunting with the same chassis.

I'm working on an article discussing the pros and cons, so I wanted to start a thread for discussion and questions. Let me know your thoughts!

Update 12/11/2022. My review is complete.

XLR Element 4.0 Chassis Review

This is my Tikka 300 WSM in the Element 4.0 MG

Colorado Buck - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
My first and only knock against a chassis is using it on a horse in a scabbard. If I could solve that issue then all my guns would have them.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yup. I know you can get tactical scabbards but they’re awfully big. I also like an open butt because I need to be pulling the gun quickly.
I have a local leathercrafter that could probably whip you up something pretty cool! He mainly does holsters and purses but is very talented at what he does! He lives right up the road from me so I could take him my rifle for the mold piece. Im sure you have someone around you too but figured I would throw it out there!

kickemall

WKR
I have a local leathercrafter that could probably whip you up something pretty cool! He mainly does holsters and purses but is very talented at what he does! He lives right up the road from me so I could take him my rifle for the mold piece. Im sure you have someone around you too but figured I would throw it out there!
Thanks, I hadn't really thought about that and will look into it. I may be in contact as my main gun has an Element on it.

z987k

WKR
I hunted with my XLR MG 4.0 this year. I'm undecided if I like hunting with a chassis. For the hunt I thought we'd do, which was sit around and wait for game to come in, it's more than fine. I like how you can easily put it on a tripod, how it packs down so easy with the folding rear.

What I ended up doing was a good bit of hiking, and I'd way rather have had my fieldcraft for the weight savings and the chassis offered nothing helpful so it's extra weight didn't pay for itself. Despite building it about as light as I could on the action I used(tikka), it's by far my heaviest rifle.

Sitting in a field, taking shots past 500 yards, I think I'd prefer it. Very stable platform that fits me perfect due to the adjustability.
Side of a mountain, probably not.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I hunted with my XLR MG 4.0 this year. I'm undecided if I like hunting with a chassis. For the hunt I thought we'd do, which was sit around and wait for game to come in, it's more than fine. I like how you can easily put it on a tripod, how it packs down so easy with the folding rear.

What I ended up doing was a good bit of hiking, and I'd way rather have had my fieldcraft for the weight savings and the chassis offered nothing helpful so it's extra weight didn't pay for itself. Despite building it about as light as I could on the action I used(tikka), it's by far my heaviest rifle.

Sitting in a field, taking shots past 500 yards, I think I'd prefer it. Very stable platform that fits me perfect due to the adjustability.
Side of a mountain, probably not.
I definitely understand that. I think my lightest chassis rifles are about 9 or 9.5 pounds and can be on the heavy side for mountain hunting.

IMG_20220921_204514_977.jpg

On my recent antelope hunt, I used my comp rifle that has a really heavy barrel and the aluminum Element 4.0 with C-6 buttstock. It weighs about 15 pounds, but I knew I wouldn't have to walk more than about a half mile or so at a time, so it wasn't a problem. The cool part is that I can add my weights and have that rifle at 22 pounds in a matter of minutes if I want to shoot a match with it.

FB_IMG_1647282002408.jpg

Reactions: XLR
I value versatility over all things and have moved to chassis for hunting only, I don’t shoot competition. So for a hunting only perspective I addressed weight by staying traditional on scope/rings similar to what you’d see on an ultralight mountain build. I chose rear end that is fast adjustable on lop for number of reasons like still hunting with pack on, heavy clothes, multiple shooters or smaller shooters. You can two point front carry with it without pack on, short makes that work well, Kifaru gun bearer always a gold standard also but regular rifles ride better in those and still use it for chassis rig, 8 1/4 lb scoped rifle. It’s short and handy for blinds as well. The beauty of these lego guns is you can set em up for multiple tasks. Mine was all hunting 0-600 predators and big game. We still use more traditional aids like Harris bipods for certain duties, shooting sticks, or over pack. We don’t use the tripod stuff that’s in fashion now. It won’t combo to competition as well as purpose built for both. I’d rather have one for each discipline imo even though you can lego them for each far better than trying to take a traditional rifle over to competition. Love the pistol grip control and feel, love the adjustable lop on the fly, love the 10 round detach mags and love that you build them on the kitchen table, no smithing required. Everyone can play.

Attachments

• B5D378FE-7EDA-45F9-85D3-4078A90B4BF6.jpeg
    B5D378FE-7EDA-45F9-85D3-4078A90B4BF6.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 160

crich

WKR
Handling an aluminum chassis in the cold has been my main reservation keeping me from switching my hunting rigs over. I haven't thought about them not fitting into a gun boot or scabbard. That would be another deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I love everything else that the chassis offers over a traditional stock.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Handling an aluminum chassis in the cold has been my main reservation keeping me from switching my hunting rigs over. I haven't thought about them not fitting into a gun boot or scabbard. That would be another deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I love everything else that the chassis offers over a traditional stock.
I typically wear gloves if it's cold so it hasn't been a problem for me. Also, I think the magnesium is warmer than aluminum but that could be just in my head.

You definitely have more limited options for cases/scabbards when using a chassis. But on the other hand, the folders can make it easier to carry on your pack in some cases.

In my opinion a chassis is not for everyone. I do personally prefer them for a lot of uses though.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Rubber moss color. I just cut it to wrap around the fore end

use a heat gun or hair dryer on high and it sticks really well. It will last at least a whole season if not 2-3.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
It’s survived 2 trips to AK like that. In 13 degrees blowing sideways and up to 80 F.

I’ve also used it on my duty gun for years.

Thats a good idea.
Just wont work for anyone that uses the built in arca rail for tripod shooting as thats directly where you would attach to your tripod.