XS Big Dot Night Sights for Glock 20 Woods Defense

treillw

WKR
Doing some research into what kind of night sights to put on my Glock 20 for woods defense. Came across XS Big Dots. Seems like people either love them or hate them.

There aren't many firearms instructors out there (that I've found at least) who offer training for woods defense against animals. The next best thing I can come up with is to look at the tactical guys and take what I can from that and apply it. They are after-all similar high stress situations; instead of being shot at, you're just worried about being eaten. James Yeager has used XS Big Dots for years - since they were prototypes. John Lovell doesn't recommend Big Dots that I know of, but recommends a similar tritium setup - one dot in the front and one dot in the rear.

I also intend to have a RMR on the gun. I know there are many pros and cons to that. I'm open to giving it a try - if it gets filled up with snow or dirt and I can't see through the window, I'll just take it off and put it on another gun. I think it does have some big advantages as long as the window stays reliably clear. I've been using one off and on for the last couple years and so far I have not had any issues. John Lovell has some great youtube videos on the pros and cons of red dots on pistols. Threat focusing is the biggest advantage I see. Do some practice with some moving targets, and you might see what I mean.

Questions:

Has anybody used Big Dots for a woods defense gun?

Anybody used Big Dots in conjunction with a red dot?

Can you still hit a target at 30-40 yards accurately with Big Dots?

I wonder if that enormous dot would "overwhelm" the red dot and distract your attention. The red dot is supposed to be the primary sighting device. Iron sights are just intended for a backup.

Other thoughts?

Most of the people I see who don't like big dots on youtube etc don't seem to have much/any real life high stress gun fighting experience, for what that's worth.

Thanks!

CiK01

WKR
I can’t speak for the RMR, but I have XS Big Dots on several hand guns. I am faster on target and more accurate with them than I am with 3-dot and heinie straight eights. If it’s a gun I am going to carry for personal defense, it gets the Big Dots on them.

I tend to try and peek around the front sight on other setups and that makes me inaccurate. The big dot set up keeps me from doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I can’t speak for the RMR, but I have XS Big Dots on several hand guns. I am faster on target and more accurate with them than I am with 3-dot and heinie straight eights. If it’s a gun I am going to carry for personal defense, it gets the Big Dots on them.

I tend to try and peek around the front sight on other setups and that makes me inaccurate. The big dot set up keeps me from doing that.

Can you reliably hit a smallish target at 30 -40 yards with them?

CiK01

WKR
Can you reliably hit a smallish target at 30 -40 yards with them?

Never tried. Most self-defense situations don’t call for that type of distance.

If you need that type of precision though, I would think there are better options out there.

Beendare

WKR
I had the Big Dot on one of my Glocks.....meh....I took them off and went to the fiber sight and like it a lot better.

My reasoning was that since I need reading glasses now as my eyesight has deteriorated....the bigger sight would be faster acquisition.....nope. It was just weird.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
As I think about it more, my hunting partner might appreciate me having some sights on my gun that allow me to pinpoint my shot placement a little better if Mr. Griz is gnawing on them and I decide to put a few rounds into him. Although you can't get much better than a red dot for this....

sndmn11

WKR
I went through one "mini academy" with the big dots on a g19 while my duty pistol was backordered. You can make accurate shots as much as you want to practice with them. Once my g23 arrived (the selected pistol for that agency) ameriglo Idot pros went on. I find level sight top/plane makes accuracy quicker, the paint outline front is simple to place, and the wide notch rear lets me see what is around my post.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I went through one "mini academy" with the big dots on a g19 while my duty pistol was backordered. You can make accurate shots as much as you want to practice with them. Once my g23 arrived (the selected pistol for that agency) ameriglo Idot pros went on. I find level sight top/plane makes accuracy quicker, the paint outline front is simple to place, and the wide notch rear lets me see what is around my post.

Do you like the Double dot?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I feel like it would be hard to tell which dot is which in the dark if there are only two - there doesn't seem to be a way do discern that easily without wiggling the gun around and you could lose track of which is which.

I don't see that front glow dot doing much if the gun has been in my dark holster or tent for hours in the night.

TheGDog

WKR
Eww! That XS Big Dot, to me, just look like the Glock stock sights problem, just magnified. 3-Dot night sights for me. Even with my horrible vision I can line them up just fine. None of this having to pay attention to the sight on the rear BS. Just line up the tops... make sure the in-between looks the same and Pew-Pew!

sndmn11

WKR
Do you like the Double dot?

I have yellow rear, green front for tritium. Yellow glows less than green. My original academy was done with typical steel three dot night sights, my personal pistol at the time had Idot pros. If night shooting were not possible, I'd have plain rear, with the subdued yellow rear single dot there is something to reference if need be.

Well, I can only speak as a frequent competitor in USPSA matches, both local level and regional level matches. You would best be served to go with something like an RMR since it will give you your dot regardless of lighting conditions. That division is called Carry Optics and it is a very popular division since it crosses over well for civilian and law enforcement applications.

But really, no do-dad or gimmick is going to help if you don't practice with it. The greatest accuracy improvement device I ever purchased was a reloading press and lots of supplies. So just practice and practice and practice. A couple of thousand rounds will teach you way more than a simple sight change.

Good luck and try not to over think things when its dark outside in deep hilly forest and you are all alone. Just having a sidearm or rifle will give you confidence.

Shraggs

WKR
I run xs dots, big and small. I’m opposite of beendare in im faster for whatever reason with stacking the daisy. But I did shoot a very elite professional’s tricked g17 with that set up (fiber optic post flat blank rear).

Haven’t shot competition in many years, but I like the big dot there. Yep gets a laugh to see that on a browning hi power... for my g 20 sf I went small dot thinking I might want more precision if I decide to take a deer with it. I think 20-30 yards the big dot is as accurate as your willing to practice. Beyond that too much coverage.

my night xs version glows at night without help...

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
Speed is always going to be better with bold front sight. It just catches our eye faster and allows a faster sight picture. That being said, big front sights and precision rarely go together. Your definition of precision may vary. I also doubt those sights would cowitness with a slide mounted optic like the RMR. If you could see the sights through the optic, you may find two dots a little busy.

I ain’t an expert but have shot competition on and off for years - IDPA, USPSA steel challenge.

I tried the xs sights on my Glock for a while. I found they weren’t any faster within 10 yards when I am using my sights a little less (focus primarily on the front sight) and they didn’t line up as easily for longer shots. I actually had three misses on a 20 yard target in a match (low) and dumped them. In fairness I probably didnt give them enough time or training but after three matches, I went back to a more traditional sight. FWIW I don’t see many guns wearing them at matches and I am not sure if they make supressor / RMR height versions.

I tend to favor Ameriglo operators and trijicon HD sights with a bold colored outline on the front sight Around the tritium post. I like orange for the woods as green and yellow can wash out in a greenish wooded or grassy background. I also tend to prefer the two dot variety where the rear sight has one dot counter middle so you are stacking one on top the other in low light. Shoot enough with a 3 dot set up in low light and you will align your front sight to the left or right of your two rears at least once and be way off target.

speaking of lowlight, a pistol light is a comforting thing when Things go bump in the night. Surefire xc1 or steam light are great choices.

i am somewhat new to pistol mounted optics but they are a significant game changer for speed and accuracy. They do require some training to work properly. I have to adjust my head position up slightly to use the RMR and DPP on my Glock because of the increased height over bore. If you buy one for defensive purposes, get a good one a and do some research on your mounting set up. Use blue loctight and register marks. Make sure you get up with your battery changing regime and check your mount periodically.

lastly, on training, in addition to standard advice, consider some competition. It ups the ante on adrenaline and forces you to drive your gun under stress. For animals consider some specific drills. I found one from an outdoor magazine that simulated a bear engagement by having targets staggered starting at 20 yards and you worked inward to 3 yards As if charged. Moving targets if you can get access. Get off th x drills Where you shoot while dodging left or right. Use unusual targets - silhouettes turnd on their side. Small targets. Steel plates close to the ground. Break up that standard defensive shooting habit of looking for center mass on a human shoes target at 4-5 feet above the ground. Practice shooting from your back and laying on your side.

Last edited:

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I use Trijicon bright and toughs. I have always used 3 dot sights and have done all my training with 3 dots. I think its a matter of personal opinion and what you train with and are comfortable with.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have yellow rear, green front for tritium. Yellow glows less than green. My original academy was done with typical steel three dot night sights, my personal pistol at the time had Idot pros. If night shooting were not possible, I'd have plain rear, with the subdued yellow rear single dot there is something to reference if need be.

WHY DON'T MORE COMPANIES USE YELLOW REARS?????

That is what started me on this whole quest.

I have some trijicon night sights that have three dots with yellow rears and they are nice. All my other sights are green tritium three dots.

Then trijicon's supressor height sights are different from all their others. :rolleyes: