Xtherm for wide sleeper?

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ve not owned the xtherm pad, but I have found I prefer a pad that is thick enough to keep my hips from contact with the ground.
A 3.5 inch pad keeps me comfortable, even with my pad slightly under max inflated.

I have. Exped SynMat is much more comfortable. I have to take too much air out of the Xtherm to keep my hip off the ground.

5'8", 170 lb. Long waisted. Heavy chested. 30" inseam.

Last edited:
OP
Mdfowlman2
I have. Exped SynMat is much more comfortable. I have to take too much air out of the Xtherm to keep my hip off the ground.

I looked at the exped mats but gosh they’re all so heavy

sneaky

"DADDY"

Take air out or put air in to keep your hip off the ground? I'm 6'3" 200 and have never had my hip hit the ground on any of the X series pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
X therm and a near 100% side sleeper. Inflate fully, lay on the mat and deflate until hip is just off the ground. After a few times it becomes a pretty easy and mindless operation. I’ve done this with many generations of Thermarest and other brands of pads for decades so nothing special for X therm.

gelton

WKR
No doubt there are more comfortable pads out there but for the warmth and the weight, it's hard to beat an xtherm.

I have a fairly wide chest and I have the long and wide mummy-style... it's about 7 years old and still going strong. It's a bit longer than I would like and I could use another inch or two in width but ott it's good to go.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am a side sleeper and I have the Exped Downmat 9 XP and the Thermarest XTherm. The Exped is more comfortable to me but it weighs almost twice as much as the XTherm. I do wish I would have not worried about the couple extra ounces and bought the rectangular XTherm Max. Had I done so, I might have found it equally as comfortable as the Exped.

Yep. It's a good bad. But for the same money Exped makes a warmer and thicker pad for the same weight. I really like the Exped Down Mat. I sold my Xtherm to my partner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Mdfowlman2
Yep. It's a good bad. But for the same money Exped makes a warmer and thicker pad for the same weight. I really like the Exped Down Mat. I sold my Xtherm to my partner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Which exped are you saying is the same weight, warmer, and thicker?
The down mat is 10oz heavier

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my Xtherm for several years with no complaints. Warm and wide enough for my 6’1, 200lb frame. It is my go to sleeping pad for all but a few trips.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
They sure are now. I was having trouble finding one the other day. Ended up ordering a exped downmat HL large for a lot cheaper than an xtherm large.

Take a look at sea to summit ether light. I use a rectangular wide. 4 inches thick. My xtherm has been sitting in my gear closet since I bought this.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have slept multiple nights on both an Xtherm Max and Exped Downmats (7 & 9). The Xtherm Max was wide enough, warm enough for what I was doing and much lighter than the Expeds. The Expeds were thicker, more comfortable for me (side sleeper at least part of the time) and the difference is signficant enough that I always carry one of the Expeds in place of the Xtherm for myself. For what it is worth, my teenage son doesn't seem to notice the difference between them but I do.