Xtherm for wide sleeper?

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
6’ 5” 260lbs side sleeper here. Which is a terrible thing to be for elk hunting. I should get a discount on tags for the all disadvantages I have to deal with.

I use the Xtherm now with the for-mentioned deflate just enough to keep your hips ofthe ground. It works but still tough.
I would be open to anything that would be a better solution but so far it’s the best I have seen.

And my hunting partner the next tent over complains every time I move. Lol

Are any of the exped mats capable of inflating by mouth? I ordered one and sent it back, no option to inflate other than pump sack, and it was annoying trying to get it deflated. I couldnt get it back in the stuff sack. And are they as tough as a nemo or xtherm? It seemed like it would puncture easily. I have about decided the mat comfort is most important to me vs weight savings. I like a rectangular thick mat and would like a high r-value like exped has to offer, but am skeptical about the other trade offs

Are any of the exped mats capable of inflating by mouth? I ordered one and sent it back, no option to inflate other than pump sack, and it was annoying trying to get it deflated. I couldnt get it back in the stuff sack. And are they as tough as a nemo or xtherm? It seemed like it would puncture easily. I have about decided the mat comfort is most important to me vs weight savings. I like a rectangular thick mat and would like a high r-value like exped has to offer, but am skeptical about the other trade offs
I'm 6'4 anywhere from 210-240 depending on workout routines and diet. So I am also skeptical of only a 2.5 inch pad like most of the thermarest series. As soon as I get 10 posts Ill be trying to sell a thermarest xlite, just because I cant stand my elbows hitting the ground.. need a rectangular

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm 6'4 anywhere from 210-240 depending on workout routines and diet. So I am also skeptical of only a 2.5 inch pad like most of the thermarest series. As soon as I get 10 posts Ill be trying to sell a thermarest xlite, just because I cant stand my elbows hitting the ground.. need a rectangular
Did you get the 25in wide Xlite or the standard 20in? Exped pads are the same width as the Xlite 25, so no help for elbows there. The Exped valve dumps air pretty quick, not sure why you had trouble with that. You can be as skeptical as you want on pad thickness, plenty of big dudes been running Thermarest pads for decades. They work just fine. You don't want to inflate any pad with your mouth, builds moisture and moisture builds mold in your pad and deteriorates the insulation inside. The pump sacks are much better for inflation, and quicker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Did you get the 25in wide Xlite or the standard 20in? Exped pads are the same width as the Xlite 25, so no help for elbows there. The Exped valve dumps air pretty quick, not sure why you had trouble with that. You can be as skeptical as you want on pad thickness, plenty of big dudes been running Thermarest pads for decades. They work just fine. You don't want to inflate any pad with your mouth, builds moisture and moisture builds mold in your pad and deteriorates the insulation inside. The pump sacks are much better for inflation, and quicker.

The Xlite I have is not rectangular, its the mummy, so despite it being 25" at the widest point it isnt comfortable for me around my elbows. I'll be selling it soon. It does look like the rectangular version of the exped winter has a deflate valve in addition to the inflate, which I would think would help a lot as well. The one I tried had one valve and was difficult to keep a steady deflate. I may do a trial run with the xtherm with a company like REI that will allow you to return if you dont like it. I think this is fair with these type of items anyway. If the xtherm max is comfortable then it would seem silly to double the weight, but if I feel like I'm touching the ground, then I would probably go with the exped. Good sleep is most important to me vs weight reduction, but certainly try to balance the best I can. Thank you

The Xtherm is good. But the Exped Winter Down mat is even more gooder. Same weight but an inch thicker. R value of 7. No crunchy noises.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Xtherm is good. But the Exped Winter Down mat is even more gooder. Same weight but an inch thicker. R value of 7. No crunchy noises.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Must be the UL, or HL winter mat, because the Downmat 9 is a pound and a half heavier