Year to Year Bucks

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I was real fortunate to get a 4th season Mule deer Tag for Colorado unit 11, I hunted the property last year for Elk and saw a lot what look like quality bucks. I have never hunted Mule deer but have been hunting whitetails for over 40 years. I still don't have a great handle on how to judge a rack but I only want a decent head and a great experience. My concern is are Mule deer like whitetails and have a consistent rack year to year or is it dependent on other factors and they change a lot year to year? I'm hunting alone this year as my partner could not make it. I have my glassing setup that I'm using for Elk and will use for the deer, are they going to be like Elk and you have a moment to setup or is it they move too quick ?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Places like Colorado are less likely to have variation in drought years then dessert deer are. If there was good bucks last year you should be in good shape this year with the extra late season dates. They should give you time to judge them if your glassing from a vantage point.

For the most part I'd say they are consistent year to year. I am a big shed hunter and it is quite common to find the same antlers year to year and during their growth period they are definitely consistent, although once on the downhill slide they can do some odd things. I had found a beautiful 5pt and the 5th tine was a 13" inline, found it next year (no doubt that it was the same buck due to antler characteristics) and it was heavier, yet missing completely the growth of the 13" inline. No broken or deformed or anything, just simply not there. Best of luck to you!

Dirtbag

WKR
Unit 11 has been in extreme drought this past year. You'll probably see some good bucks but the drought may have hampered growth overall. By 4th season though you may be looking at migratory bucks that summered at higher elevations. Its a tough call.

Not to hijack the thread but what are the chances the buck has zero growth or almost non existent growth..found a buck last year after season. Found his shed this year. My buddy killed a buck this year same area that is almost spot on identical measurements to the shed.

WCB

WKR
There is no rule saying a deer has to grow (or shrink) from year to year. If they are almost the identical measurements...they should like identical and chances are they are the same deer.

TO the OP...There are factors like drought/feed/water, injury etc. Mule deer are just like WTs in that basic frame configuration will be similar but obviously extras can show up etc. A big 4x4 doesn't turn into a medium 3x3 from one year to the next.