Yellowjackets while quartering game.....

TexasHTR

FNG
Anyone have a suggestion where to get spray bottles for citric acid? Do you have to use a trigger style or can a small pump one like eyeglass cleaner comes in work? I mainly backpack so the smaller bottle would be ideal if it works. I've been intrigued about citric acid since watching the TAG bags youtube videos.

I don't have suggestions as to how to prevent them (although i have heard chili powder works). However, I would recommend you go see an allergist, get tested, and see if allergen immunotherapy (allergy shots) is an option for you.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like I need to look into the citric acid. How much do you typically carry for quartering a deer? Spray bottle?

I typically wear nitrile gloves and suspect they don't offer any protection. Ideas on gloves that would provide more protection without trying to quarter while wearing full on leather gloves? The headnet is a good lightweight idea too.

Thanks everyone!
Spearfishing gloves would provide the protection you are looking for while keeping dexterity. I size down, really snug to get on and use them for everything (I don’t pack them anywhere though, just keep in truck).
I’ve never been stung while breaking animals down, although at times it seems almost impossible to not be. I have been stung probably 20-30 times in the woods though. Walking over a nest, driving over a nest on a ATV, sitting at camp, etc. I’d definitely go to an allergist, bites and stings go hand in hand with spending a lot of time in the woods. It will happen eventually, better to have all the info you can when it does.

Stalker69

WKR
Man pack afull blowen bee suit, or wait tell after dark to brake the animal down. Are the only things I think might work 100%.

Is there anything that people use harvesting honey from hives that can be improvised from hunting gear or vise versus.

Any Practical way to use smoke?
They do make a hat with mesh around it that would offer head and neck protection. It packs down to almost nothing.

Austink47

WKR
Last time they were bugging us we just made a perimeter of sacrificial scraps on logs and hanging from branches About 10 yards out. That kept 90% of them busy. This combined with other deterrents at the kill site might be enough. But honestly just make your hunting partner part it out, get it in the shade, and do the rest at night. Why take the risk.

Beendare

WKR
I'm allergic to those Yellowjackets and on hunts I always have Benadryl or an Epi pen.

The key is to get right on that animal and get them cut up asap.

I had one bull I shot solo Archery season in OTC Co that 3 stings on my left hand and my arm blew up like a balloon. I had left the carcass to go get my frame pack...and left the Benadryl in my hunt pack. It was a bit dicey for that first load...but after Benadryl at the truck....I spent the rest of the day packing meat.

______

LostArra

WKR
I've been thinking about this although I've never had a problem while hunting I got blasted off a tractor last fall by a ground hive of some type of yellowjacket/hornet. I took about 8 shots to the head plus another 6-8 on my arms before I could stop the tractor, bail off and run. I made an ER visit when my eyes were shut from swelling. Just bad luck on my part as I was pulling a brush hop over some tall grass.

I've wondered if a Thermacell would help when field dressing an animal. It does help with gnats and mosquitoes when sitting in a treestand during the early bow season. It's simple and sure couldn't hurt to try it. Windy conditions will reduce it's effectiveness but it's safer than a fire for dry conditions. July 4 is coming up. You might look for some smoke bombs too. Short duration but the smoke usually hangs around.

Last edited:

Inrutt

FNG
I've read of two things to try:
Build implement smudge fire.
Make a trap with meat scraps and trash bags. I dont remember the specifics as it's been awhile since I read this. Author carried trash bags, baited them with blood, meat, or whatever. I think he used some type of chemical inside that knocked them out/killed too. Will repost if I can find more.
Commercial yellow jacket traps maybe?

Kodiak

FNG
I have had good luck with finely ground black pepper. I killed a bull on August 22 a few years ago and the bugs were BAD. I rubbed it on the quarters or on the outside of the game bag. It keeps Yellowjacket and flies off like a charm. I prefer it to citric Because you don’t need to spray it on. A little few ounces in a ziplock snack bag was enough for a whole elk

Wrench

WKR
I've had to deal with them and have had reactions myself. What I have found to work is get the blood and guts out and away as fast as possible and then find the easiest meat you can sacrifice that is wet with blood and hang it away from where you work the carcass.

Pepper and citric acid powder are light and cheap and will work to some extent. I try to minimize my time at the kill site, so if I can go gutless and work quick I will and if not, quarter and boogie.

If you have some meat for them to eat that isn't a challenge and isn't peppered,they will gravitate to it....but you'll always have stragglers.

There are some bee repelling clip on devices that certainly help....but the bees love meat and nothing will stop them.

Keep hide on everything you are not actively working and any scraps should be thrown well away from your work area.

Watch where you kneel and grab. I have had pissed off bees when I rolled carcasses over.

Last year wasn't too bad for me, the year before I was so deep in bees that I was nervous.

One last thing to consider is that the bees love water. If you can plan your hunts away from water it will only help.

wytx

WKR
Last time they were bugging us we just made a perimeter of sacrificial scraps on logs and hanging from branches About 10 yards out. That kept 90% of them busy. This combined with other deterrents at the kill site might be enough. But honestly just make your hunting partner part it out, get it in the shade, and do the rest at night. Why take the risk.

This works, put out some meat for them away from your carcass.

Read1t48

WKR
As others have mentioned, sacrifice a few scraps on surrounding branches, logs, or rocks. It will keep them busy.
Gutless method helps a bunch.

Also extremely allergic. Hymenoptera: Bees, wasps, yellowjackets, hornets and fire ants. Generally, it is very rare to only be allergic to one. The proteins in their venom is very similar. I generally wear full coverage loose clothes, leather gloves and a hat with a head net attached to cover the face and neck. Can be hot . Never be alone. Most hunting is done in such remote areas that help is really far away and you have to be able to survive. I have been stung in late November - after hard frosts and snow, so they don't really die when experts say they are supposed to! Good luck - and go get those tests!

I got stung in the upper lip 2 years ago. Been stung 500 times in my life. That one nearly killed me i got a text out and my buddy found me.

Attachments

• 07DB5489-3B7A-47C8-B20B-8D4577584BEC.jpeg
    07DB5489-3B7A-47C8-B20B-8D4577584BEC.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 28

FLAK

WKR
I bumped up against a nest of some little Satanic Black Wasps
in the Mtns. of N.Ga once while trout fishing. They lit me up!!
Took over 20 hits, mostly around the head, in my nostrils, inside my lips, temples, etc... Swelled up and had a headache for a while.
Had to work 3rd shift that night in a meat processing plant. One of my eyes had swelled shut completely by Midnight. Miserable.
They are something to be reckoned with.

It's a tough thing to have to deal with. The finely ground pepper works good. I used to be a log cutter, ground hornets were an everyday hazard. I've had them in my ears, up my pant legs down the back of my shirt. I definitely don't miss that aspect of the job!