Yellowstone advice

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for any and all advice or pointers on visiting Yellowstone. Just moved to southern idaho so we’re pretty close to Yellowstone and are thinking of trying to camp in eastern idaho and check out some of the park. It’ll be our first trip of many I’m sure and will probably just be two to three nights. What are some must sees and some advice on avoiding crazy crowds of people or is that impossible to do?
We’re thinking of July or August or is there a better time to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Looking for any and all advice or pointers on visiting Yellowstone. Just moved to southern idaho so we’re pretty close to Yellowstone and are thinking of trying to camp in eastern idaho and check out some of the park. It’ll be our first trip of many I’m sure and will probably just be two to three nights. What are some must sees and some advice on avoiding crazy crowds of people or is that impossible to do?

Don’t miss the Tetons south of the park, that was my favorite place of all!

As far as crowds, that’s pretty hard to avoid anywhere near there. Hit the road at daylight, it’s a little quieter then.

Agree on Tetons. It was awesome.

are you looking to camp or just day trips In the park?

plenty of front country camping. Back country too but permits are an issue and you have to walkin a few miles. Not a problem if that is what you want but it makes it hard to sleep in the backcountry and still see the sights. I did a mix of both last trip.

YS is big. 40 mile drive between sights in some places. Traffic can suck. I spent a lot of time crisscrossing and waiting in traffic. Drive early in the AM To avoid some traffic. I would pick a few key attractions and break it into multiple trips.

- the geysers and pools are amazing. some better than others. We hit most of the big ones. Even the worst crowds weren’t too bad.
- the falls and canyon are awesome
- breakfast at the yellow stone inn
- saw more animals in the north east up by the Lamar valley - bear wolf bison, etc.
- the lake was meh

Tod osier

WKR

Off season is great for thinning the crowds. Early fall is awesome if it doesn’t conflict with hunting.

Be out looking for animals early and late in the day. Staying in the park helps with this.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t go in July or August! Like stated above. Before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
Never ever will I ever go to Yellowstone again in the summer. Way too crowded!!

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Agree on Tetons. It was awesome.

are you looking to camp or just day trips In the park?

plenty of front country camping. Back country too but permits are an issue and you have to walkin a few miles. Not a problem if that is what you want but it makes it hard to sleep in the backcountry and still see the sights. I did a mix of both last trip.

YS is big. 40 mile drive between sights in some places. Traffic can suck. I spent a lot of time crisscrossing and waiting in traffic. Drive early in the AM To avoid some traffic. I would pick a few key attractions and break it into multiple trips.

- the geysers and pools are amazing. some better than others. We hit most of the big ones. Even the worst crowds weren’t too bad.
- the falls and canyon are awesome
- breakfast at the yellow stone inn
- saw more animals in the north east up by the Lamar valley - bear wolf bison, etc.
- the lake was meh

I was thinking of camping near west Yellowstone somewhere with hookups and just kind of trying to see maybe 2-3 attractions a day if possible thanks for the advice I’ll pick 3-5 and try to see them and then repeat
Second time may be a little better as I’ll have a lay of the land

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They geysers and waterfalls are ok but there are so many people at those things that it’s really pretty lame.

I’ve been several times and I personally like the longer hikes and remote mountains because you won’t see anybody. That being said, avalanche peak is a cool hike that sees some traffic. My favorite hike there is the thunderer. I’ve never even met anybody else who has done it.

I was thinking of camping near west Yellowstone somewhere with hookups and just kind of trying to see maybe 2-3 attractions a day if possible thanks for the advice I’ll pick 3-5 and try to see them and then repeat
Second time may be a little better as I’ll have a lay of the land

We spent a night in west yellow stone. Cool little town. That Grizzly and wolf zoo was worth the stop. If you are heading into the park from there, leave early. That road gets a lot of traffic. M

mlgc20

WKR
I typically go to Yellowstone twice a year. September is my favorite time to go. The crowds thin out and the weather is great. Grand Prismatic Spring and Artist Point are worth dealing with the crowds. I would skip Old Faithful. That area has just turned into an outlet mall over the years and gotten crazy crowded. I hate it.

If your willing to get even a half mile off the road, you can get away from the crowds. There are some fantastic day fishing trips that are a blast. I did a weeklong hiking/fishing trip in July last year. I think I saw 10 people over the course of the week.

IMO, the most important thing is try to avoid eating at the places in the park. The food is terrible and expensive. And the crowds will be ridiculous. But, if you bring a cooler with food, there are some fantastic places to have a picnic and even do some fishing.

We went the first week of September last year. There were lots of people around the main sites but we spent a few mornings glassing in the Lamar and Hayden valleys and didn't see too many people. There was a wolf den that attracted a small crowd in the Lamar Valley. We would sometimes have 2 or 3 cars at the glassing spots with us but sometimes we had it to ourselves. I think the fact that we were out with binos on a tripod caused others to stop and get out.

I also learned that gasoline inside the park was as cheap or cheaper than the gas stations in West Yellowstone and Island Park, ID. But food is noticeably more expensive.

MTtrout

WKR
It’s been 13 years since I was there but have camped there about every month out of the year when I lived closer. With your proximity, I would suggest late September and October. If you don’t want to wait till then, you will still have fun but expect dealing with the masses and roll with it.

IMO Jackson Hole shines in the winter. We used to spend new year’s backcountry skiing and glassing up the winter wildlife.

We made the mistake of going over the 4th of July holiday. The crowds were unreal. That was pre-covid. I can only imagine it has become worse. If we go back it’ll definitely be outside of peak season.

Leave the asphalt when you get there. Most people never do. The north east and eastern part of the park is pretty special. Have fun!

WKR
There are two museums in the area that beat anything Smithsonian has to offer: Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody and the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois.

They are day trips from Yellowstone. I know of no one who has visited them that didn’t think it worth the effort.