Yellowstone advice

There are two museums in the area that beat anything Smithsonian has to offer: Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody and the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois.

They are day trips from Yellowstone. I know of no one who has visited them that didn’t think it worth the effort.

The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEEF

FNG
I live in east Idaho so whenever buddies come visit we always gotta go see it haha. I try to cram touristy stuff in in 1 day if possible (most of the western half of Yellowstone). Then you can see the rest of Yellowstone how you please, try and enjoy a sunrise up in the Lamar River valley to try your chance at seeing a wolf/grizzly (bring binos), fish some rivers - superb fly fishing opportunities in park if you wanna get your hands on an authentic cutty, and like a lot of others have said GO TO THE TETONS THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER lol.

wyodan

WKR
Wait until it is the most crowded, then go. You will see some mind blowing stupid stuff from folks. Some people tell me this is wrong, but I root for the animals in there.

There are two museums in the area that beat anything Smithsonian has to offer: Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody and the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois.

They are day trips from Yellowstone. I know of no one who has visited them that didn’t think it worth the effort.
And the drive from the East entrance of the park to Cody is more beautiful than the park IMO.

jimh406

WKR
i prefer camping in the park because my favorite areas are a long way from the outside camping areas.

There is a Yellowstone app that can give you some ideas on things to see. Obviously, the best time to see animals is very early and very late. The best time to see people is during the day. Yes, you will have to skip building a campfire at night since you will still be driving back to the campground. :D

I prefer bringing a spotting scope to sit and watch either Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley. Do ask people with spotting scopes what they are looking at. Most people are very nice and will tell you. There is a reason that most people are hanging out in a particular spot with a spotting scope.

Unless you have a close by campground, you'll have a long drive in the dark with a lot of wildlife. You'll be surprised how many Grizzlies you can see if you stay put and have good glass. If you see a Ranger on the road, it's almost always a bear to see. If there is a parking area nearby, grab it, and walk to the "viewing" area keeping in mind that the Rangers/Volunteers are there to keep you from getting a close up confrontation with a bear. They carry bear spray. You should, too.

Do get reservations and checkin during the afternoon then proceed to a wildlife viewing area or other scenic area.

Some roads are limited to RVs, so keep that in mind. You can see a lot in a couple of days. Old Faithfull is actually pretty predictable for time, so look it up before driving there. Signs are up that say when the next eruption might be. I like the overlook to see Old Faithful, but grabbing an ice cream from Cafe and watching from the benches is good as well.

Some of the geyser parking areas near Old Faithful are very busy. Don't sweat the really busy ones. Not that they aren't great, but do you really want to spend a lot of time waiting to park when there is another one just a little down the road. Use the app to find the very best geysers, but don't sweat it if you can visit one. Visit it next trip. That's from someone who's been to most of them in the park.

Mammoth near Gardner is fun. There is a good visitor center there and usually Elk there to see. Otherwise, most of the animals I've seen including wolves an Grizzlies were at Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley.

I agree the Tetons are fun to see, but a long drive from West Yellowstone.

There are campgrounds with showers included, but also, some allow you to stop by and take a shower for a fee.

Looking for any and all advice or pointers on visiting Yellowstone. Just moved to southern idaho so we’re pretty close to Yellowstone and are thinking of trying to camp in eastern idaho and check out some of the park. It’ll be our first trip of many I’m sure and will probably just be two to three nights. What are some must sees and some advice on avoiding crazy crowds of people or is that impossible to do?
We’re thinking of July or August or is there a better time to go?

I went in August of 2021. Only for a day because we were there for Grand Teton. My advice.. Get 2 camp sites. For the first half of the trip you explore one side of the park and the second half of your trip you explore the other other half of the park

jek5224

FNG
Every area of the park is worth seeing once. If I go back, I'll spend the entire time in the Lamar Valley. The campgrounds in that area are walk-in only, but there are plenty of options in Mammoth/Gardiner or Cooke City/Silver Gate.

Phaseolus

WKR
I was thinking of camping near west Yellowstone somewhere with hookups and just kind of trying to see maybe 2-3 attractions a day if possible thanks for the advice I’ll pick 3-5 and try to see them and then repeat
Second time may be a little better as I’ll have a lay of the land

I agree, when we go again we’ll make reservations far in advance and camp at one location and day drive the Park. Our last trip was mid September and it was too crowded. We’ll go first week of October next time.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
21749981-5C75-40DA-9CC1-8D56BAF2D5B1.jpegWait until it is the most crowded, then go. You will see some mind blowing stupid stuff from folks. Some people tell me this is wrong, but I root for the animals in there.
Agree on the stupid stuff/folks. September 2018 in Yellowstone, witnessed a several van loads of a group of Asian tourist get out & walk towards some Bison that were crossing a creek and grazing. Fairly close to parking lot. One lady with a camera up to her eye kept waking towards a couple of bison cows. She got within 40’ & was clueless of her extremely dangerous action. A few other Asian tourists were within 20’ behind her Cow charged but thankfully it was only a bluff. Stupid tourist never lowered camera & never moved. I still have pics of this group of bison in my phone, and Asian lady is just to right of tree in this photo. We and the responsible intelligent tourist were ~’20 off the parking lot but a good distance from the bison. Asian lady almost got her butt trampled.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking for any and all advice or pointers on visiting Yellowstone. Just moved to southern idaho so we’re pretty close to Yellowstone and are thinking of trying to camp in eastern idaho and check out some of the park. It’ll be our first trip of many I’m sure and will probably just be two to three nights. What are some must sees and some advice on avoiding crazy crowds of people or is that impossible to do?
We’re thinking of July or August or is there a better time to go?

Tetons! I’d rather be in Teton NP or that area than Yellowstone. If we go back & likely we will, we’ll stay near Teton NP & skip Yellowstone. If you’re in rhe Jackson area overnight , then I highly recommend going to eat breakfast at Nora’s in Wilson. 👍 Only about 15 minutes from Jackson.BD1EEB67-B5E9-4180-BC99-FDC3973134CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Lastly, you just can’t make this stuff up….. , actual, real sign posted at one of the visitor center free standing restrooms in Teton NP. 704F14F8-2EF9-4145-8459-1D3DA8C91F3A.jpeg