Yellowstone/Glacier vacation

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what we did. We had to wait for the 3rd shuttle due to the line but only took about 30 minutes.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
The last 4 miles from the chalet to the bus stop is all downhill. Tough on my feet and knees. Just about would have preferred to walk back to Logan’s pass.

I would recommend carefully reading the park websites for travel related information. I believe 2 of the entrances are still closed in Yellowstone from the flooding. And for glacier you need to try to get a ticket for the going to the sun road, unless you have a reservation at one of the lodges or campground. The tickets are very difficult to get and are sold out within seconds/minutes. Again read the website for glacier because it is pretty difficult to get into this summer. Also fire season has started and it will be hit or miss on visibility and air quality but that’s nothing you can control.

Good luck
Here’s a tip.. Purchase an activity located within Going to the Sun Road. I purchased a $23.00 scenic tour on McDonald Lake to gain access. Just have to present it at the gate and your good to go. Think that’s the cheapest activity you can do to gain access. A visit to Polebrige is a must, you can gain access through the park or via 486. Huckleberry Bearclaw is 10/10.

Live by the West entrance of YNP. It’s always a zoo in the summer and I avoid it like the plague. Plan on getting into the park as early as you can to avoid congested traffic. We have family friends who live in Cooke city ( NE entrance ) she’s renting her house out to construction workers for the next 6 weeks as they do repairs. Access is a no good till mid October. Beartooth highway is worth the drive.

Last edited:

jbsmith1

FNG
Late to the show, but I'll add a second vote for getting the Gypsy app. The YNP/Tetons add-on costs $14 and is absolutely worth it.

We went to YNP/Tetons three weeks after the flooding and lucked out with the YNP north loop opening up while we were still there.

We also drove Chief Joseph up to Cooke City on the fourth of July. Great little town and I can't wait to get back to that area to drive Beartooth once it opens fully.

If you're coming/going through the east gate (Cody) and want a good, hot meal, look at Pahaska Tepee just outside the gate. The restaurant is open until 9 and serves some really good food and you don't have to rush back to Cody to find some late night food. Their ribeye and strip were just as good as the steaks we had in Cody.

As for the spotter, it looks like it made the trip. We had every animal on our list within 15 yards of the truck, except wolves and sheep. We watched wolves stalk elk in Hayden valley, but never did see any sheep.

bobr1

WKR
Here’s a tip.. Purchase an activity located within Going to the Sun Road. I purchased a $23.00 scenic tour on McDonald Lake to gain access. Just have to present it at the gate and your good to go. Think that’s the cheapest activity you can do to gain access. A visit to Polebrige is a must, you can gain access through the park or via 486. Huckleberry Bearclaw is 10/10.

Live by the West entrance of YNP. It’s always a zoo in the summer and I avoid it like the plague. Plan on getting into the park as early as you can to avoid congested traffic. We have family friends who live in Cooke city ( NE entrance ) she’s renting her house out to construction workers for the next 6 weeks as they do repairs. Access is a no good till mid October. Beartooth highway is worth the drive.
Interesting, when we’re you here last? This year you also have to have a separate ticket to get into the north fork entrance at pole bridge and they only give out 100 per day that are only good for 1 day. They are also checking tickets if you go in through camas road which they didn’t check last year.

“A North Fork Vehicle Reservation is required for each vehicle accessing the North Fork area of the park through the Polebridge Entrance Station from May 27 through September 11, 2022, from 6 am to 6 pm. 

The North Fork Vehicle Reservation (valid for 1 day) provides access for one private vehicle to enter the North Fork area of the park at the Polebridge Entrance Station. In addition to a North Fork Vehicle Reservation, a park pass (7-day, annual, or lifetime) is required at the time of entry.”

“The Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Vehicle Reservation Area includes all points between the West Entrance Station, Camas Entrance Station, and Rising Sun checkpoint”

I guess if someone wants to spend the extra money for an activity they could get in easier at the west glacier entrance. But there are no guided activities or tours at the northern entrance that I’m aware of.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago. We also got access to Many Glacier with the Lake McDonald scenic boat tour. We booked it for Saturday and Sunday and never got questioned. You could also just take the back route to Polebridge and bypass the park.

bobr1

WKR
Two weeks ago. We also got access to Many Glacier with the Lake McDonald scenic boat tour. We booked it for Saturday and Sunday and never got questioned. You could also just take the back route to Polebridge and bypass the park.
That’s good to know. I’m just used to people not planning and showing up here and then get angry and I hear it all the time at local places. You should read the reviews on recreation.gov for the tickets. People act like there lives were ruined because of the ticketing. When I ask if they looked at the parks website for visiting, it’s always a unanimous no. So I always tell people to read the park’s site. This year was worse for people including locals because you used to be able to bypass the GTTS road ticket as long as you got there before 6 or after 4. But now with the road construction they close the road from 10 pm until 6 am. I used to go to the bowman lake a lot to avoid the tourist but last year the ticketing system for the GTTS road overwhelmed the pole bridge entrance so bad they had to close it off at random times because it was so full. It’s sucks that they are doing a ticketing system for it now but it is what it is. I’m a veteran so I get into the park free but have to pay the $2 to get a ticket now if I want a guaranteed time to get in. I personally wouldn’t pay $20 plus for a guided trip or whatever to get in. But for tourists, it seems like a good option to get in. People should also look at many glacier and two medicine since they are not part of going to the sun and typically less crowded. Though many glacier can be a nightmare to find a camping spot.

OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the tips everyone. We just spent our first day in Yellowstone today. Spent the morning hiking around the canyon, and then hiked up to the top of mount Washburn in the afternoon.

Mt. Washburn was a little tough for the younger kids, but they were super happy to have accomplished it. The views from up there were incredible, even saw some bighorn sheep.

Attachments

• 433B2FC6-FEE6-48B4-B787-9F4917FBD18E.jpeg
    433B2FC6-FEE6-48B4-B787-9F4917FBD18E.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 78BC6BD0-CC05-4C8B-BB7C-DC7570D765E7.jpeg
    78BC6BD0-CC05-4C8B-BB7C-DC7570D765E7.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 852D6BB2-C34E-4292-94DC-0B3A6DF7CE75.jpeg
    852D6BB2-C34E-4292-94DC-0B3A6DF7CE75.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3329E18D-91F9-4085-89F0-76E36AA4771F.jpeg
    3329E18D-91F9-4085-89F0-76E36AA4771F.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 12
Going up to glacier after 5 is the way to do it. Was just up there 2 weeks ago and got to west glacier entrance right at 5. Light traffic and plenty of parking at Logan. Unless you want to do a bunch of hiking you still have plenty of time to drive the going to the sun road and see what you need to.