Yellowstone Wolf Project Report

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Among another things, this was interesting
de4c859c183eb230df7b77b55f7708ce.jpg

38% and the majority of kills are bull elk? I guess those antlers don’t do much good. Just surprised that they kill more bulls.

And they killed a grizz!!!

Sorry no link but the news story I copied that pic from won’t let me copy the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Those bulls are off by themselves in bachelor groups in deep snow, they don't stand a chance. I find it hard to believe they only found that many wolf kills. Must not have looked very hard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
They've been known to dig them out of their dens when they are hibernating and kill them. Bear in that situation wouldn't stand a chance.

I would be willing to bet that of the bull elk that were taken, most were not hard-antlered....

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would be willing to bet that of the bull elk that were taken, most were not hard-antlered....
I bet you would lose that bet. Most of the bulls killed by wolves in Idaho are late season, winter kills that are hard horned. They just don't have a chance in the snow against a pack of wolves that can run on the surface of the snow

Michael54

WKR
Big numbers for a small sample size. That's just what they found. I would not be surprised if people start practicing the 3 s's. Unfortunately we have a population group that feels the need to fix stuff that isn't broken. Rumor has it they want to expand yellowstone further up into montana. I hope that isn't true. It seems like the real experts of the area (locals, and yearly hunters) don't know what they are talking about according to the academic "experts" who have studied these things for years from books smh. The wolf needs to go. If they want better herd regulation they need to issue tags. A bullet is alot more humane than being ripped apart by a pack of oversized dogs IMO.

mt100gr.

WKR
Among another things, this was interesting
de4c859c183eb230df7b77b55f7708ce.jpg

38% and the majority of kills are bull elk? I guess those antlers don’t do much good. Just surprised that they kill more bulls.

And they killed a grizz!!!

Sorry no link but the news story I copied that pic from won’t let me copy the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robby, did the article say that was park-wide or that those kills are suspected to be one pack?

ODB

WKR
I’ll tell you, the notion that predators kill only the weak and sick is flat-out bullshit. It’s all about opportunity.

It’s more apparent in Africa than here. But when you see the number of fully grown, healthy animals with scars from head to hoof, missing ears, tails and open, suppurating sores on them, you start to understand that everything is on the menu if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They see it or smellit they are going after it to kill plain and simple as to the bulls my experience says most would be hard horned and in deep snow all alone

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I was listening to a podcast with Dan Flores this morning and he was talking about the wolves in Yellowstone. Years and years with wolves and elk, then about 70 years of no wolves. The Elk are having to learn how to live with these predators again. It's interesting to think about. We push out all the predators and get used to not having them.... now we are readjusting. Makes me wonder if we are looking at too small a period in time when talking about the effects of reintroduction of these predators.

ODB

WKR
I was listening to a podcast with Dan Flores this morning and he was talking about the wolves in Yellowstone. Years and years with wolves and elk, then about 70 years of no wolves. The Elk are having to learn how to live with these predators again. It's interesting to think about. We push out all the predators and get used to not having them.... now we are readjusting. Makes me wonder if we are looking at too small a period in time when talking about the effects of reintroduction of these predators.

Yes. Flores’ student rinella touches on this idea in American Buffalo. Since defense methods are passed down, the knowledge has to exist before it can be passed down.

87TT

WKR
It comes down to which is more important. Wolves or us (hunters). 70 years ago there was a lot more room to escape and a lot less pressure from hunters. We pay to protect the game and now we are asked to share it with the wolves. If they get their way, we won't be hunting period.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
It comes down to which is more important. Wolves or us (hunters). 70 years ago there was a lot more room to escape and a lot less pressure from hunters. We pay to protect the game and now we are asked to share it with the wolves. If they get their way, we won't be hunting period.

^^^^ That's the end-goal.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider

It could be that we should strike a balance. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.