Yes, Kimber roulette is real *Update*

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Even though I know their rifles are hit or miss, I saw an 84 Hunter Pro desolve blak, held it, and had to have it. Impulse buy of the month right there. The gun is amazingly light, the trigger is good, and cycling the action was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, I have to force the shells (6.5 Creedmoor) into the chamber the last 1/2" or so, and it shoots 2+inches at 100 with 130gr VLDs and 140gr ELD-M, and 5" at 300 w/ the 140gr ELD-M.

It's back at Kimber now, and the initial RMA process was really painless. I had a gal on the phone within 2 rings, and she was very nice and helpful. She had an RMA generated for me in a couple minutes after listening to my frustrations, and a prepaid UPS label was in my inbox that evening.

I'm hoping the rest of the process is just as painless, because I REALLY want that gun to shoot well. It's a dream to hold.

I know people on here like the Hunters, and this site is one that pushed me to buy one, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Adding update here as well as pg2
My follow up:
Kimber treated me very well and got my gun back to me in 2wks with a polished chamber and test targets showing sub MOA with 2 loads. I got MOA with the next range session. No one wants to have dealings w/ customer service, but the overall experience was very pleasant and exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
OP
PsRpOiGrRiAtM

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard that, and I had consistent form, and subMOA groups from my other rifles that day. Even shooting with the muzzle brake on to negate any extra recoil. If I'm the weak link in the equation, then so be it, but I at least hope that they fix the chambering issue.

My buddy has a mountain ascent in 308 that seems like it can’t miss if it tried. Shot sub Moa with a scope that was mounted un level and came loose after shooting. After that experience i was between a browning hells canyon and a kimber hunter. After seeing all the crap about them I chose the browning and don’t regret it at all

OP
PsRpOiGrRiAtM

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
If it comes back from them cleaned up and shooting well, then I'll be tickled pink. I've got some 127gr lrx ammo on the way, so I hope it likes that.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Not what I wanted to hear given mine just arrived at my FFL today. That said, my Mountain Ascent is extremely picky. Horrible groups with the factory loads I tried. Then I loaded some Hammer Hunters; punches nice little clover leafs with those.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry to hear all this, hopefully you get a good gun when it’s back from Kimber. I’m a big Kimber fan myself and havnt had any problems with any of them. I’ve been able to get them all shooting great with basic hand loads. Right now, my mountain ascent 300 win mag is shooting great with 200g accubonds and 166g absolute hammers. With the hammers it’s unreal. A few weeks ago I thought I’d hit poa then missed the target twice. When I walked down to look it was a cloverleaf. Love that gun.

My Montana would shoot factory about 1"-1.5" at 100 yards with most factory ammo I tried. I got it under MOA with some hand loads using the Lehigh Defense bullet. I know how you feel though as I absolutely love the feel of that rifle so I put a lot of time into finding something it will shoot.

There seems to be a lot of people that have Kimber models in 308 that shoot excellent.

hunting1

WKR
Mine have all been great! I had a buddy who was a PRS shooter and someone who I know can shoot and when he got his he was frustrated at his groups. After showing him a 1/2"-3/$' group it was explained you MUST hold the forearm on these lightweight guns. It was the same with my Remington Ti's (very particular on loads).

OP
PsRpOiGrRiAtM

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Mine have all been great! I had a buddy who was a PRS shooter and someone who I know can shoot and when he got his he was frustrated at his groups. After showing him a 1/2"-3/$' group it was explained you MUST hold the forearm on these lightweight guns. It was the same with my Remington Ti's (very particular on loads)
I'll be very happy (and slightly embarrassed) if it's truly me being the weak link. I had the forearm stabilized and held/braced with my hand against the front of my rest. I'm looking forward to getting it back. Regardless, the chamber either needed polishing or fixed with how hard I had to force the shells in there.

I'm blown away at the gun itself, and how stiff the polymer stock is. If Remington would've taken a chapter out of Kimber's book (and Bergaras) and had a stock that was that stiff and pillar bedded, maybe they wouldn't be regarded as such a joke in their last decade.

I had two. The first shot well, the second I never got to shoot - I ended up having to send it back due to the barrel touching the stock. It was painless, and I had it back in 2 weeks with a new stock and a test target.

The reason I sold them? Theyre too picky regarding form - It’s hard enough to find a decent rest in the areas I hunt, now add in the fact I can’t get comfortable and the adrenaline’s flowing and you’ve got a recipe for a miss… or worse, a wounding shot.

wapitibob

WKR
They’re for suckers and gamblers

Mine would jam on the feed shoe, called them and the guy said he’d never heard that before; asked him if heard of the Internet….
1-1/2” and $1,100.
On a kimber thread here a guy had the same problem, kimber used a dremmel on the ramp and sent it back. Hopefully they’ve learned how to fix their junk.

Not what I wanted to hear given mine just arrived at my FFL today. That said, my Mountain Ascent is extremely picky. Horrible groups with the factory loads I tried. Then I loaded some Hammer Hunters; punches nice little clover leafs with those.
Hammers are the easy button for a picky rifle. Struggled with handloads for my custom 280ai but quickly found an accurate load with the hammers.

CoStick

WKR
I have fieldcraft and kimber, all have shot great. I shifted from archery to these lightweight rifles and have never shot a standard or heavy rifle, I think it was a benefit. I didn’t have to adjust or relearn shooting form or habits.

Try different ammo. My T3X in 6.5 CM would not chamber two commercial loads (cannot recall which ones); I never tried to ram them in. But it had no issues chambering other brands.

Boreal

WKR
Had to do the Kimber 101 on both my Montana 6.5CM and Mountain Ascent 280AI. After that minimal work they have performed flawlessly and I love the cloverleafs I see when I bring them to the range. The terminal performance with the Hammer Hunters is astonishing.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had two. The first shot well, the second I never got to shoot - I ended up having to send it back due to the barrel touching the stock. It was painless, and I had it back in 2 weeks with a new stock and a test target.

The reason I sold them? Theyre too picky regarding form - It’s hard enough to find a decent rest in the areas I hunt, now add in the fact I can’t get comfortable and the adrenaline’s flowing and you’ve got a recipe for a miss… or worse, a wounding shot.

This about mirrors my thoughts. Had one, never again.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
On my 4th Kimber! A hunter in 7mm-08. 1-1/4" groups with several different factory offerings! Looking forward to handloading for it! All 4 have shot and functioned perfect. Best of luck and happy hunting!