Yet another 6.5 PRC question

Okay- here’s another thread about the 6.5 PRC. I’ve been mulling the direction I want to go with my next rifle. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a 6.5 PRC or a 280 AI, so I don’t want this thread to turn into a “get a 300 win mag instead” debate.

I’ll only use this to chase smaller game, with mule deer and mountain goats probably being the biggest critter it would be shot at. There’s a VERY small chance that I’d hunt elk or moose with it, but that’s slim to none. These two calibers hit a sweet spot for me with bullet availability (I plan to hand load eventually, but not right off the bat) and terminal ballistic performance on what I plan on hunting.

My only requirement for the round that I hunt with will be that it has to launch a 140-150 grain bullet at 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. My biggest concern is with the 6.5 simply due to the fact that it’s new and there’s not a lot of factory ammunition right now. The 280 AI is a proven round with a decent amount of factory loaded ammunition and I can also fireform brass by just shooting 280 out of it, so I’m not worried about it, but the PRC currently only has a handful of options.

I’m assuming the PRC will take off much like the Creedmoor did, but maybe not to the extent the Creedmoor has risen. What do you guys think will be the future of the PRC? There seems to be more and more support growing for the round, but who knows what the future will bring.

BjornF16

WKR
I like both rounds. IF Tikka offered both in Lite or Superlite, I would take the 6.5 PRC given your stated purposes.

I think the PRC is here to stay. I prefer the 6.5 PRC over the CM for the 200+ fps extra velocity. I'd like to see the PRC with as many factory ammo choices as CM. Of course hand loading allows whatever you want...

I have a Wby 6.5 RPM enroute (essentially a 6.5 PRC burning a little more powder). If it is a shooter, then there will be a CM Fieldcraft and Kimber MA 280AI for sale.

JakeSCH

WKR
I narrowed down to the same 2 options earlier this year and ended up going with the 6.5 PRC but both are fantastic choices. Main reason I chose the PRC over the 280ai is because I already own a dedicated elk / moose gun (300 WM).

If I didn't have the 300 WM I would have gone with the 280ai because I believe it is a better option for the occasional elk / moose (both will work).

Both guns will easily reach your requirements (140 gr @ 3000 FPS) with handloads. I have a buddy who pushes the 169 Hammers at 3062 out of his custom 280ai at a ridiculous sub 1" groups at 300yards. My PRC shoots the 140 berger's at 3068 in sub 1.5" groups at the same distance.

It honestly comes down to which one do you want to shoot more?

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
due to the 6.5 PRC being arguably the most talked about/wanted hunting cartridge, i don't thinks its going anywhere, and i would bet a lot of factories options will be seen in the next year to two to keep up with demand. shooting a 145 to 155 grain bullet at 2950 to 3050 with low recoil whats not to like.

OP
jlaner0408
I’ve always been leaning PRC from the start. The availability of factory ammunition is the only thing giving me pause. With the growing number of rifles being chambered in it, I would have to think it’s going to be around for a while. I guess I was just looking for reassurance that what I suspected is what everyone else suspects to happen in the future. I do wish the 280 AI was offered in more factory rifles though...

Have a 6.5 CM & 6.5 PRC. The PRC is a very accurate and efficient round. Trouble is most folks think it has identical shooting characteristics as the 6.5 CM, just faster. Well, outside of shooting the same bullet, it doesn’t - there is never something for nothing. So the PRC doesn’t quite fit in a true short-action rifle or magazine, and it has noticeably more recoil and blast than the CM. Now, it is flatter shooting a hits slightly harder than the CM, so I’d definitely prefer it for a 500+ yard shot on a tough critter like an Aoudad or a Tur. But the CM is right at home in a handy, light, short-action rifle, and much more pleasant shooting. With that high SD bullet, the CM is very effective on medium-sized game. So, the PRC should be even better.

My custom 6.5 PRC is a tack driver, and the ballistic/shooting pros all swear they’ve hit the ultimate “sweet spot” for velocity/shootability of a 6.5 bullet. I think they are right. But I see it as more of a long term market share threat to the 270 win than the 6.5 CM.

OP
jlaner0408
Have a 6.5 CM & 6.5 PRC. The PRC is a very accurate and efficient round. Trouble is most folks think it has identical shooting characteristics as the 6.5 CM, just faster. Well, outside of shooting the same bullet, it doesn’t - there is never something for nothing. So the PRC doesn’t quite fit in a true short-action rifle or magazine, and it has noticeably more recoil and blast than the CM. Now, it is flatter shooting a hits slightly harder than the CM, so I’d definitely prefer it for a 500+ yard shot on a tough critter like an Aoudad or a Tur. But the CM is right at home in a handy, light, short-action rifle, and much more pleasant shooting. With that high SD bullet, the CM is very effective on medium-sized game. So, the PRC should be even better.

My custom 6.5 PRC is a tack driver, and the ballistic/shooting pros all swear they’ve hit the ultimate “sweet spot” for velocity/shootability of a 6.5 bullet. I think they are right. But I see it as more of a long term market share threat to the 270 win than the 6.5 CM.

I feel like the relationship between the 7mm-08 and 280 AI (or 7mm WSM for that matter since it’s a short action round) is pretty similar to that of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC

All that is holding the PRC back is getting Lapua and other higher end companies to make brass for it. Once that happens the wildcat 6.5 saum and the reliable 6.5-284 will have some wind taken out of their sails. Flip a coin and go with it. I've got a 280AI that I love, but if I ever get around to it I'll get a lightweight 6.5 PRC built.

Have a 280ai that shoots 168 ablrs and 143 hammers great but just had to hve another rifle so HCA is building me a 6.5 saum in 22-24" barrel as my Mt gun. Just curious why no more love for the 6.5 saum

SDHNTR

WKR
While both the 6.5 PRC and the 280AI are wonderful rounds, I do not think either one would be great choices if you are limiting yourself to factory ammo. There aren’t that many options for either, yet. Maybe that will improve, but I say, if you really have your heart set on those two, bite the bullet and get a press. You’ll find yourself there soon anyway. Otherwise stick to the 6.5 CM and/or the 7mm Rem mag.

OP
jlaner0408
While both the 6.5 PRC and the 280AI are wonderful rounds, I do not think either one would be great choices if you are limiting yourself to factory ammo. There aren’t that many options for either, yet. Maybe that will improve, but I say, if you really have your heart set on those two, bite the bullet and get a press. You’ll find yourself there soon anyway. Otherwise stick to the 6.5 CM and/or the 7mm Rem mag.

I won’t be relying on factory ammunition. I just won’t be using hand loads right away- have a press, but haven’t used it yet.

HuntnPack

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is a good cartridge choice.
one thing to be aware of is some issue with 6.5 PRC chamber/sizing die specs & fired brass not sizing properly
Causing stiff bolt lift.

I’d consider a Sherman cartridge. Several good options to choose from.
6.5 MAX is my next one.
ADG headstamped, formed brass available. Dies, reamer, custom loaded ammo.

Last edited:

mmac

WKR
I just got a 6.5prc in an auction, so I hope it is here to stay. I wouldn't worry as much about the handloading as it seems like it would be more popular than the 280 over time and there seems to be some high quality custom load guys out there now to also use. Unknown Munitions was one I looked at the other day and they have sample sets etc. and a lot of offerings in this caliber. I do reload, but nice to have backups when lazy.

not to hyjack but Anyone taken any close shots with a PRC loaded with a eldx bullet? I've grown to love what a 178 eldx does in a 308 from 10yds to 400yds no pass through full expansion and instant death on antelope to elk.

I wanna step into a 6.5 prc and am curious how the 143eldx at almost 3000ftps does in the shorter ranges pertaining to expansion.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Have a 280ai that shoots 168 ablrs and 143 hammers great but just had to hve another rifle so HCA is building me a 6.5 saum in 22-24" barrel as my Mt gun. Just curious why no more love for the 6.5 saum

I have a custom 6.5 SAUM that is on it's second barrel. My guess is lack of factory ammo. I wouldn't be shocked if the PRC is a little less finicky with load development with the smaller case either.