Yet another 6.5 PRC question

I like both rounds. IF Tikka offered both in Lite or Superlite, I would take the 6.5 PRC given your stated purposes.

I think the PRC is here to stay. I prefer the 6.5 PRC over the CM for the 200+ fps extra velocity. I'd like to see the PRC with as many factory ammo choices as CM. Of course hand loading allows whatever you want...

I have a Wby 6.5 RPM enroute (essentially a 6.5 PRC burning a little more powder). If it is a shooter, then there will be a CM Fieldcraft and Kimber MA 280AI for sale.
Dibs on the CM :)

Last edited:
not to hyjack but Anyone taken any close shots with a PRC loaded with a eldx bullet? I've grown to love what a 178 eldx does in a 308 from 10yds to 400yds no pass through full expansion and instant death on antelope to elk.

I wanna step into a 6.5 prc and am curious how the 143eldx at almost 3000ftps does in the shorter ranges pertaining to expansion.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Plan on having the core separate from the jacket. At close range it's no different than Hornady's SST bullets.

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
not to hyjack but Anyone taken any close shots with a PRC loaded with a eldx bullet? I've grown to love what a 178 eldx does in a 308 from 10yds to 400yds no pass through full expansion and instant death on antelope to elk.

I wanna step into a 6.5 prc and am curious how the 143eldx at almost 3000ftps does in the shorter ranges pertaining to expansion.

Killed a bull with a 6.5PRC last Saturday at around 80 yards. Bull jumped up out of his bed just as the gun went bang so the shot wound up lower than I would have liked. Through the joint just below the shoulder into low chest and just barely hit the heart. Considering the amount of bone that the bullet had to navigate to get there, I have to say I am incredibly impressed. The ELD-X couldn't have done a better job, and it's not my favorite bullet so that's saying a lot. As far as expansion goes I can't say, I didn't open up the cavity to find it because it was too damn cold and I was a long ass ways from the truck. Moral of the story: it works fine up close, at least it did in my experience. If you look in the bottom left corner you can see the entry hole. Steep uphill shot and the leg was still slightly back from being bedded so you can imagine the trajectory of the bullet.

Attachments

• 20201024_100451.jpg
    20201024_100451.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 90

WTFJohn

WKR

I've seen two cows killed sub 100 yds with 143 ELX out of my 6.5PRC (22" barrel, 2860ish fps), both made it about 15 sloppy steps and fell over dead. Parts of the core and jacket were found inside the off shoulder and against the hide; neither had an exit wound. Same bullet/caliber last season had identical performance for my brother's cow at 200 yds.

I'll be shooting some of the Unknown 127LRXs tomorrow and plan on using them for a handful of my remaining tags if they shoot well.

BadDogPSD

WKR

More medium range than short, but this was a 143 ELD-X 440 yards on a mule deer. It was angled toward me. Hit 2-3 inches below the spine and took out two ribs and pretty sure shredded the liver (we did the gutless & deboned) We found the bullet base and a large fragment (need to remember to weigh these) right before the pelvis. Took a few steps and died within about 15 feet.

Attachments

• 20201012_142317.jpg
    20201012_142317.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
jlaner0408
I just got a 6.5prc in an auction, so I hope it is here to stay. I wouldn't worry as much about the handloading as it seems like it would be more popular than the 280 over time and there seems to be some high quality custom load guys out there now to also use. Unknown Munitions was one I looked at the other day and they have sample sets etc. and a lot of offerings in this caliber. I do reload, but nice to have backups when lazy.

I plan on either loading the new federal 130 grain terminal ascent or one of the 140 grain nosler varieties, but the options for when I get lazy is what I’m hoping companies start offering more of

EmperorMA

WKR
I feel like the relationship between the 7mm-08 and 280 AI (or 7mm WSM for that matter since it’s a short action round) is pretty similar to that of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC
I don’t agree. The 6.5 Creedmoor design handles the longer, heavier bullets much better than the 7mm-08. In fact, I’d say there really is no 7mm equivalent to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Of course, custom builds and judicious hand loading can mitigate that advantage somewhat, but that's a lot of money, time and tinkering just to get a 7-08 to a place where it can do about 90% of what any off the shelf 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle can already do.

Last edited:
OP
jlaner0408
I don’t agree. The 6.5 Creedmoor design handles the longer, heavier bullets much better than the 7mm-08. In fact, I’d say there really is no 7mm equivalent to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Of course, custom builds and judicious hand loading can mitigate that advantage somewhat, but that a lot of money, time and tinkering just to get a 7-08 to a place where it can do about 90% of what any off the shelf 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle can already do.

Where am I comparing the Creedmoor with the 7mm-08?

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Put me in the 280ai crowd. The PRC just doesn’t offer enough over a 6.5 creed to get me excited.
Thats where im at. When deciding on my lightweight deer sized game rifle and running the numbers on the CM vs the PRC other than the added energy (which i didnt need because both are adequate on deer sized game) there was no noticeable advantage out to 600 yards which is were 99% of my shots will be so I went with the creed. If I was going to be regularly using it for larger game or shooting 600 plus yards then the PRC would have obviously got the nod.

I just bought myself a 6.5 PRC. Not that there are many options for anything right now. But I did notice more options in this ammo shortage for 6.5 prc already. Hopefully many more when we get out of this shortage. I’d rather not pay $100 for a box of ELDX. By the way. Who wants to split a case of 1000 rounds of it for $750 10 ways?

Sako76

WKR
I own both, Legendary Arms Works in 280 AI shoots 1/2" with Nosler Trade Grade 140 Accubonds and 162 grain Hornady ELD-X's. My GA Precision in 6.5 PRC is back at the shop for accuracy issues, I fully expect it shoot great when I get it back! The 168 Berger is next for my 280 AI.

I vote 280 AI. Just a better all around cartridge. From coues deer to moose the 280 AI can do it all. I had both for a minute. Ended up selling the PRC. Kept the 25-06 and 6.5 Creed for the kids. The Ackley shoots 175 Bergers at 2980 fps and it just lawnchairs animals and shoots tiny groups with ease. Super easy to handload for with a number of different powders and bullet weights.