Yet another “boot help” thread

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I need some help with boots, please. I live in MS just outside of Memphis, TN and there is no place to try on western hunting type boots around here. Here’s a short version of what I’ve tried so far. I have the Crispi Dakota now. I bought them in 2017 before my first out west hunt. They didn’t fit great but I went with the “I’ll make them work” attitude. Really, the only complaint I have is the toe box seems a little narrow. In the mountain I’ll get blisters on the tops of toes 4 and 5. In the flat lands, they do just fine. I’ve put a ton of miles on these things and they’ve held up well but I need something this year that is a little wider in the toe box. I ordered the Hanwag Makra GTX in a 12 and it felt a little narrow and short so I sent them back and got a 12.5. The length is better but feel it’s still a little narrow. I’ve measured my feet like those guys at GoHunt do in their video and I don’t think my foot is a “wide”. With a thin sock they are 11.3 millimeters wide. Now I’m looking at trying the Crispi Thor but buying a ton of boots and sending them back is going to get real expensive real quick! It cost me $22 to send back the first pair of Hanwags. Here is a pic of the Makra and the Dakota. Any suggestions? 94A23118-6A83-4589-9C7E-396FA68A60B7.jpeg

Shupe88

WKR
I wear either crispi valdres or the Idaho’s daily. I survey for a living so I spend almost all of my days in the mountains. Appalachian mountains not the Rockies lol but I had to go with a wide. The toe box is perfect for my foot with a wide size. I also have the hanwag trappers in a regular size. Very comfortable boot but I should have also got a wide in those. I have had my toe nails turn black on a couple bear pack outs while wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try thr Crispi Nevada or the tall version is the Guide I think.
Order from black ovis. They have a code Rokslide10 and a return label from them is $7

Thanks! I didn’t know that.
The thor i do not think is known to hold up long term.
I have also shyed away from a boot with fabric. It fights an even bigger up hill back staying water proof. As the fabric usually soaks up water then all that is left for defense is the membrane.
A good leather boot that is treated sheds the water better and it doesn't sit on the membrane and I have had better luck.
The Nevada is a pretty high volume forefoot and you may not need a wide.
But I'd give black ovis a call.

I switched to Solomon 4d’s from Asolo’s specifically for the toe box. They’re super roomy but the heel still locks in nicely. Might be another option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
It sounds like your forefoot is on the wider side but might not require a “wide” boot. I have a very similar situation and have had the best luck with Lowa Ticam 2 for a stiffer boot and Crispi Lapponias for a more Felix less option.

The Lowa Ticams are built on their Alpine last which is a bit wider than the standard but not a true “wide”

the Lapponias carry a wide shape all the way to the toes so it doesn’t narrow and squeeze my 4th and 5th toes like a lot of other boots do.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like your forefoot is on the wider side but might not require a “wide” boot. I have a very similar situation and have had the best luck with Lowa Ticam 2 for a stiffer boot and Crispi Lapponias for a more Felix less option.

The Lowa Ticams are built on their Alpine last which is a bit wider than the standard but not a true “wide”

the Lapponias carry a wide shape all the way to the toes so it doesn’t narrow and squeeze my 4th and 5th toes like a lot of other boots do.
I found the Lowa's but the Lapponias might be being discontinued. They are out of stock on the first 4 sites I checked, including Crispi's.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had good luck w/ Lowa Tibet GTX and Asolos (both non-insulated)

I just picked up a pair of Schnee Granite II’s w/ 200 grams of insulation and they are phenomenal! I bought them for Elk and Mule Deer hunting.

Good luck with your boot search.

sivart

WKR
Don't bother with the Thors. My foot is same width as yours, and the thor is way too narrow. Crispy will tell you that. Try the Summit. wider sole than the thor and more durable.