Yeti 125 vs 160

Without turning this into my Walmart special is better than your Yeti banter... Or explaining why I like Yeti vs the other brands...

For those of those with these Yetis which is best for a boned out bull? I tried searching and couldn't find much. Asked on Facebook and all I got was how Yeti is too expensive... Well for you maybe... But for me it's cheaper than RTIC Leaning towards the 160.

I have a 35 and a 75. Obviously the 35 is a drink cooler. The 75 is good for half an elk or deer quarters.

I know these things are yuge. But honestly it's hard to move a loaded down 75. But they freaking work. I just unpack the cooler when I get home then unload the cooler from the truck.

I'd get a another 75 but I usually shoot my bull then shoot a bear off the elk carcus. So I need more room.

Would the 75 and a 125 be fine for a large bull boned out and a bear? Plus ice? Or the 160 and a 75?

Vaultman

WKR
I fit all 4 quarters of a spike elk on the bone in my Yeti 160. Not a lot of room for ice but some. All scraps, tenderloin, back straps were in a separate cooler.
It would NOT of fit a big bull or Cow on the bone. If you debone a 160 might be to big, even with a bear, but that is just my hunch.

edited for clarification.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it was me, I'd get the 160. I use a 200qt IRP and ya it's a beast, but it's also long enough that I can leave one end on the tailgate on my F-350 and lower the other end to the ground first, and then the other end. It will load that same way when full.

TSAMP

WKR
Seems like you need the 160 since your worried about space. I have a 125 and I can quarter a big iowa whitetail in that.

OP
TradLife406
I think a 160 would work. But a 210 would allow you to put ice on the bottom and keep your meat above it.

Perfect! I was blessed to be adopted by a Montana family. Won the freaking lottery on that one. So my drive isn't cross country. But it's a solid hour and a half to the nearest Town Pump. Then another hour and a half home. Now after years of riding the struggle bus we're consistently killing elk. So investing in a bigger cooler seems like a good idea. Especially something I can fill with ice and keep stuff cold after I get home and work on cutting it up.
The local meat locker where we hunt will store our meat for $20. Which is something we've done. But it's still a haul to get it off the mountain and there.

Thanks guys.

Geez you thought the truck debate was bad. Or the Glock vs 1911. But you start talking about cooler brands... Holy balls guys are more passionate about this than a Ford or Dodge!
I dunno my Yeti products work good. And yes not having to pay retail is a big reason I go that route. Can't see buying a different brand for the price I pay for Yeti.
I've had the cheaper Igloos and the hinges break and they don't stay latched.

pirogue

WKR
For one cooler, I’d say the 160. I have the Yeti 120(earlier model before the 125), and it was not large enough for an elk and ice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So now a 210 or a 160? The price isn't that much different...
I'd say the 210. But if you come back and say "210 or 250", I'll say 250....etc. I use frozen milk jugs for ice, so I like my space. Looking at the internal dimensions on some of these, the 210 might be best suited for quarters because it's taller.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Yetis are great and the cheaper coolers have their place as well.

You're going to want the extra room I think so the meat is not all smushed together, go with the 210. You might be able to put some small ice jugs between the quarters and primals to keep them separated. Better cooling that way.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
I've never been in a situation where I was disappointed about having extra cooler space. Just room for more Ice/frozen jugs/celebration beers.

Koozer

FNG
I have a 210, we can fit close to 2 boned out elk in it. Depending how much of the backstraps we cook on the mountain!!

yfarm

WKR
Buy a tuna kill bag particularly if you are not driving cross country. Can use it as a sleeping pad until you kill your elk. Folds up, takes far less space.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a 125. When I’m using it I wish it was bigger, when I’m carrying it, I wish it was smaller. Take a look at empty weight and outside dimensions and figure out how you want to use it. For example, I can barely get me 125 in and out of the truck when it’s fairly loaded (not full). It’ll help make your decision.

colersu22

WKR
I have a 210 and I looked at others when I purchased and liked how the 210 was taller and not as long as the 250 which makes it fit easier in the short bed truck with a weeks worth of gear for 2-3 guys. I have no regrets on my purchase and wish I had bought one earlier vs using a 150 igloo and 65 rtic since one cooler does it all.