Yield From Butcher

ChrisAU

WKR
How in the hell are they supposed to know what to charge?
Its called 'hanging weight'

I started wrapping venison about 50 years ago, stuff my dad shot and butchered - not to mention the hogs and cattle we raised and slaughtered.

Sure are some internet cowboys that have a lot to learn about DIY meat processing.
But I guess that's what the internet is for.

lol what? They keep your separate from other peoples animals and charge you based on output based on what you get after they process it. Congrats on getting other people’s meat. And paying for bloodshot/damaged meat that gets thrown away.

I like how you shit on people who have a different perspective than you. Noticed it in many threads. No way in hell anyone here would pay based on “hanging weight.” That leaves the consumer open to a lot of abuse. Sorry about that, internet cowboy.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
lol what? They keep your separate from other peoples animals and charge you based on output based on what you get after they process it. Congrats on getting other people’s meat. And paying for bloodshot/damaged meat that gets thrown away.

I like how you shit on people who have a different perspective than you. Noticed it in many threads. No way in hell anyone here would pay based on “hanging weight.” That leaves the consumer open to a lot of abuse. Sorry about that, internet cowboy.

Really no one would pay on hanging weight? Guess you have no clue what your talking about because your charged for hanging weight whether its wild game or domestic animals.

ChrisAU

WKR
Really no one would pay on hanging weight? Guess you have no clue what your talking about because your charged for hanging weight whether its wild game or domestic animals.

I said no one here. Never heard of it, and I’ve used dozens of butchers for hundreds of animals.

Maybe it’s a difficult concept...but let’s say you take a deboned deer to butcher. I’ll use round numbers to help. You tell him to cube half and burger half. Cube is $1 per pound and burger is $2 per pound. You wind up with 30 lbs of cube and 40 lbs of burger. Guess it’s impossible to figure out that total bill for some in this thread?

The butcher is then incentivized to come up with all that he can, because he is payed on output. You know exactly what you got in pounds so he can’t overcharge you and if he gets lazy trimming and wastes meat he won’t be paid as much.

I said no one here would do it, lol at people saying that if it’s done any other way than “hanging weight” then that person doesn’t know what they are talking about. Sure I recognize people saying that’s a thing where they live, fine. But the ones in this thread saying it’s impossible for butchers to do math based on output are embarrassing themselves. And calling people idiots for saying that’s how a lot do it is simply ignorant, because I can promise you, that’s how a lot of people do it. Not everyone uses the same butcher.

muddydogs

WKR
I said no one here. Never heard of it, and I’ve used dozens of butchers for hundreds of animals.

Maybe it’s a difficult concept...but let’s say you take a deboned deer to butcher. I’ll use round numbers to help. You tell him to cube half and burger half. Cube is $1 per pound and burger is $2 per pound. You wind up with 30 lbs of cube and 40 lbs of burger. Guess it’s impossible to figure out that total bill for some in this thread?

The butcher is then incentivized to come up with all that he can, because he is payed on output. You know exactly what you got in pounds so he can’t overcharge you and if he gets lazy trimming and wastes meat he won’t be paid as much.

I said no one here would do it, lol at people saying that if it’s done any other way than “hanging weight” then that person doesn’t know what they are talking about. Sure I recognize people saying that’s a thing where they live, fine. But the ones in this thread saying it’s impossible for butchers to do math based on output are embarrassing themselves. And calling people idiots for saying that’s how a lot do it is simply ignorant, because I can promise you, that’s how a lot of people do it. Not everyone uses the same butcher.

Well then by your description your not taking them anything to hang your taking them boned meat which they probably weight and charge you for the weight you brought in because the little you loose from the trimming will be made up with what ever they mix in the burger.

Why would anyone bone there animal then pay someone to cube it for a buck a pound? Hell once it's debone why not cut the cubes yourself. At $2 a pound for burger getting 40 pounds made for $80 just doing this once about pays for a grinder so you could do it yourself. I'm afraid that butcher likes to see you coming because in your example the butcher makes a quick $110 for doing something that probably takes him about 15 minutes.

In the busy season around here a butcher won't even take boned meat as they don't have the shelf space to store it and won't hang the bags in there cooler.

ChrisAU

WKR
Well then by your description your not taking them anything to hang your taking them boned meat which they probably weight and charge you for the weight you brought in because the little you loose from the trimming will be made up with what ever they mix in the burger.

Why would anyone bone there animal then pay someone to cube it for a buck a pound? Hell once it's debone why not cut the cubes yourself. At $2 a pound for burger getting 40 pounds made for $80 just doing this once about pays for a grinder so you could do it yourself. I'm afraid that butcher likes to see you coming because in your example the butcher makes a quick $110 for doing something that probably takes him about 15 minutes.

In the busy season around here a butcher won't even take boned meat as they don't have the shelf space to store it and won't hang the bags in there cooler.

As far as how they charge, you get an itemized receipt and it’s all vacuum sealed in plastic freezer bag material in 1lb increments which is incredibly convenient for cooking. Each pack is also labeled and dated. You get 20 1lb packs of burger, you pay for 20 1 lb packs of burger. If I had the time and space I’d do more of my own for sure, just not in the cards. What I’m describing is the norm down here, I do apologize for getting defensive but I got called an internet cowboy and told that I didn’t know what the hell I was talking about when I do 15 or so deer a year this way myself and many many others I know do the same, and I’ve used 10-15 different butchers/processors throughout Alabama and Georgia and aside from a few who had a single charge for a “standard cut” if you rolled a deer off the tailgate they all charge this way. None will harvest internal organs, and I enjoy studying how my shots affected the animal, and it’s easy enough for me to vacuum seal back straps, tenderloins, and roasts myself so I debone 95% of the deer I kill. Though the butcher I currently use will cut and vacuum seal those free of charge if you are getting anything else done with him, burger, sausage etc.

Tradguy

FNG
Sounds a little on the lighter side. I quarter and butcher all my own for various reasons but I have found a locker near me that will make these amazing deer snack sticks, and sausage. The best part is I can bring them deboned cleaned meat weighed out and they will give me that in product.

I butcher most all my game meat, have all my life. But I take most stock animals to the butcher and on occasion have taken game animals. I also take in my scraps to have sausage made annually.
We staple up our tags in our shop and write the yield on the tag when we're done butchering.

155# at the butcher, assuming skinned, gutted, head and feet removed, seems like the reported cut/wrap sounds correct to me. Not sure I understand why you'd grind the entire hind quarters though. Lots of good steaks and roasts on them.

I've always been charged by hanging weight and when I drop off scraps for sausage they weight it, calculate the batches to be made and price per pound of what I want made and charge me based on batch weight. The cooked dried sausage I get in return of course doesn't weight out at the batch weight. I've never been charged based on what I receive from a butchering job.

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to "incentivize" a butcher to give me the highest possible yield. Sounds like a recipe for no trimming at all. I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to my game processing.

Communication is key. I think its sometimes hard for butchers cause they don't know what you don't know. In their mind its all common every day and they don't have any questions about what's going to happen and the end result. Folks go in with expectations and lack of understanding and then feel wronged when things aren't like they expected. Discuss with your butcher what's going to happen, how they handle game meat, do they mix all the grind and then give you your weight, minimum batch size, do they mix customers meat in sausage batches, what time of year and how much do you need to bring to get your own batch of just your meat, ect....

cusecat04

FNG
Your yield sounds reasonable for what you had done and your shot description.

When I have the time I like to process things myself. Gives me full quality and portion control. When I don't have the time/inclination; my butcher is a family member that I've watched/helped a great deal.

We usually leave some cuts with more connective tissue together for longer cooking methods. Saves processing time and I don't feel like I waste as much meat that way. Something to think about when going the diy processing route.

I can say some people complain about yield from the butcher when they have not done a their job when taking the animal. I've seen some pretty shot up deer that once trimmed into edible table fare were not near the pile the hunter expected. Not what the case with this OP but something to think about when considering yield amount.