Yo So. Texas! I got Nilgai questions

Has anyone here hunted the free range Nilgai in Texas? I've been mulling such a hunt over for a while now. I am told getting within bow range (and especially stickbow range) is darn near impossible and that most are taken at 200-400 yards with a heavy bullet of .300 or better. They are supposed to be very skittish but I have seen videos that tell a different story. They are doing really well in south TX and I have access to private property (cattle ranch) that has em on the property but am told "they don't hold still" and a bow won't work. That may be true or it may be a Texas attitude but I like the fact there is no season or size limit or even bag limit. So it's something to do any time of year. Anyone here ever chase em? Thought it might be a great option for the truck tent & ebike.

They taste damn good but all the outfitters I talked to when I lived on the coast in port mansfield gave off the impression that the hunts weren't the experience I was looking for. Riding around in a pickup bed ready to shoot might be some people's cup of tea though.

You are darn lucky to have private access. They can be killed with a bow. You need to find their dung piles and hunt them with the right wind. Or you need to hunt water. Trails can work, but they also have the ability to just bust new trails through the nastiest thickets. Spot and stalk would be super difficult unless it had just rained a bunch to make things quiet. Oh, and aim WAY forward. You need to get it in the V of the shoulder. The vitals are not like an elks.

Do you get to bring a friend ? ;)

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
So far I'm told they are very territorial, even dropping a deuce in the same spot over and over. During the rut the herds are tight and super spooky so still hunting is the best option, just gotta get lucky. A local guide also said 40% of those arrowed are never recovered...not even using blood dogs. The elastic skin closes up and there's nothing to follow. Very tough critters to hunt and kill. He hasn't heard of anyone taking a Nilgai with a recurve. Those who gettem are using compounds and shooting 40-60 yards. So any Nilgai with a stickbow would be special and I have access to property with a lot of em and adjacent to a reserve. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to be a hero or a zero. A free range Nilgai with a trad bow...think I might go for it in January and hope i get lucky with some latent rut action. No, they cannot be called in. Yes, they are excellent table fare. Yes, I have have to sit in a treestand or tripod as a last resort. Hmmmm....

They taste damn good but all the outfitters I talked to when I lived on the coast in port mansfield gave off the impression that the hunts weren't the experience I was looking for. Riding around in a pickup bed ready to shoot might be some people's cup of tea though.

No different then any other animal located on private property with no kinds of access restrictions. You want a sporty hunt? Go spot and stalk with a bow. Or try public land hunt where access methods and means of take are restricted.

I will say even on private if up their waryness 10-20x of a pronghorn

Last edited:
So far I'm told they are very territorial, even dropping a deuce in the same spot over and over. During the rut the herds are tight and super spooky so still hunting is the best option, just gotta get lucky. A local guide also said 40% of those arrowed are never recovered...not even using blood dogs. The elastic skin closes up and there's nothing to follow. Very tough critters to hunt and kill. He hasn't heard of anyone taking a Nilgai with a recurve. Those who gettem are using compounds and shooting 40-60 yards. So any Nilgai with a stickbow would be special and I have access to property with a lot of em and adjacent to a reserve. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to be a hero or a zero. A free range Nilgai with a trad bow...think I might go for it in January and hope i get lucky with some latent rut action. No, they cannot be called in. Yes, they are excellent table fare. Yes, I have have to sit in a treestand or tripod as a last resort. Hmmmm....

I’d say you have the right idea, would b a very fun challenge

Late Whitetail rut in STX is Jan also, if you have never been in an area with a real pronounced rut, you can have a lot of fun with horns and just a camera

They have something like a mythical reputation down here.... I have not killed one, but I've seen plenty of pictures of bow killed nilgai, and even some with trad bows. Use a big broadhead like a Simmons shark, or an Iron Will Wide cut, and I really don't believe you wouldn't get some sort of blood trail.

They're tough, with thick skin (1/4" or more), and the vitals are forward. But they still can't live with holes in their lungs.

No different then any other animal located on private property with no kinds of access restrictions. You want a sporty hunt? Go spot and stalk with a bow. Or try public land hunt where access methods and means of take are restricted.

I will say even on private if up their waryness 10-20x of a pronghorn

In south texas you may be right. Maybe it was just the people I contacted. I'd say riding around and hunting from one of these IS quite different from most private land big game hunts. Hell, I think it looks fun, just harder to spend the $ on.

Truck Deer Hunt_221.png

EastMT

WKR
Has anyone here hunted the free range Nilgai in Texas? I've been mulling such a hunt over for a while now. I am told getting within bow range (and especially stickbow range) is darn near impossible and that most are taken at 200-400 yards with a heavy bullet of .300 or better. They are supposed to be very skittish but I have seen videos that tell a different story. They are doing really well in south TX and I have access to private property (cattle ranch) that has em on the property but am told "they don't hold still" and a bow won't work. That may be true or it may be a Texas attitude but I like the fact there is no season or size limit or even bag limit. So it's something to do any time of year. Anyone here ever chase em? Thought it might be a great option for the truck tent & ebike.

I just moved to extreme S Tx, like 12 miles from the border. Nilgai is on my radar mainly because I hear they are delicious. There are some from the King Ranch to South Padre that roam around. Seen a few on/near the highway. Strange looking animal, can’t wait to try one.

I’ve heard they are tough, very skittish of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
If what he is saying is true sounds more like using a stick bow is irresponsible...

OP
Where's Bruce?
If what he is saying is true sounds more like using a stick bow is irresponsible...
...or it means the hunter must exercise serious judgment when selecting his broadhead, research the positioning of the vitals, get very close, shoot true and get both lungs.

Is it just me or are the younger generations getting a little too...
wd.jpg

Last edited:
In south texas you may be right. Maybe it was just the people I contacted. I'd say riding around and hunting from one of these IS quite different from most private land big game hunts. Hell, I think it looks fun, just harder to spend the $ on.

View attachment 223845

It all about how you want to hunt your hunt, Some get smart of the high racks quick.

Some guys hunt the tidal flats out of air boats, some go on a walk about.

As with anything pressure really dictates how hard or easy it’s going to be.

OP going to have his work cut out chasing them spot and stock with a stick bow. I hope he documents his trip well. We’ll be cool to follow along

I just moved to extreme S Tx, like 12 miles from the border. Nilgai is on my radar mainly because I hear they are delicious. There are some from the King Ranch to South Padre that roam around. Seen a few on/near the highway. Strange looking animal, can’t wait to try one.

I’ve heard they are tough, very skittish of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure and put in for all the LM WMA hunts!!!

OP
Where's Bruce?
One thing I have learned is that in Texas, they prefer to drive around looking for game they can drive up to, shoot, load into a vehicle and haul away. The notion of quartering and packing an animal out of a heavily wooded area with no vehicle access is downright nutty to them. They don't understand the mind and ways of a true western spot & stalk hunter. So that is my plan, get away from the roads and still hunt the deep timber where the herds feel safer, where there is cover and there is no "normal" hunting pressure. Seems like a logical approach anyway. Not beating up on Texans, just noticed some cultural differences that I believe will serve me down south.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
You'll need more. A heavy .300 or better based on my research. But I understand, I just finished my first 6.5CM. It's sighted in but otherwise unused.

POF6.5.JPG