Yolo Bypass

I drew a reservation (#29) at Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area for 11/30. Never hunted it before, but here is what I've found out from some research:

• It's a large refuge with a small area for assigned blinds
  • Hunting is typically better the closer you are to the freeway
  • Only one guest when hunting free roam
  • Lots of ground to cover on the levees. Since it's going to rain for a few days beforehand, looks like we will be walking a lot
  • Greenwingers and smiling mallards seem to be #1 and #2 shot bird majority of the year

I've driven by it on the freeway, but I'm wondering what the cover looks like. Is it marsh stool country or should I plan on brining Invisimans?

Any comments or pictures from prior hunts would be greatly appreciated.

qwerksc

WKR
good draw. I was there a few years ago, sweat line was 150 deep. My friend has hunted it a bunch, good bird numbers, pheasant as well. I bet ya, you could get a partner out of the parking lot.

OP
David Gough
good draw. I was there a few years ago, sweat line was 150 deep. My friend has hunted it a bunch, good bird numbers, pheasant as well. I bet ya, you could get a partner out of the parking lot.
Thanks for the insight. Looks like there should be some good weather for ducks. Excited to explore it. Any thoughts on the best way to get gear around there?

I drew a reservation (#29) at Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area for 11/30. Never hunted it before, but here is what I've found out from some research:

• It's a large refuge with a small area for assigned blinds
  • Hunting is typically better the closer you are to the freeway
  • Only one guest when hunting free roam
  • Lots of ground to cover on the levees. Since it's going to rain for a few days beforehand, looks like we will be walking a lot
  • Greenwingers and smiling mallards seem to be #1 and #2 shot bird majority of the year

I've driven by it on the freeway, but I'm wondering what the cover looks like. Is it marsh stool country or should I plan on brining Invisimans?

Any comments or pictures from prior hunts would be greatly appreciated.
Marsh stools are the way to go, I use a decoy cart and a jet sled for the most part. Sometimes I use I dry bag back pack if I plan on going far or light. Because yolo is so big you may have to do some walking before you find a spot you like, so a back pack with 4-6 decoys is what I would do. Also bring a nice spot light to see out into the pond so you don’t waste your time walking around out there.

OP
David Gough
Marsh stools are the way to go, I use a decoy cart and a jet sled for the most part. Sometimes I use I dry bag back pack if I plan on going far or light. Because yolo is so big you may have to do some walking before you find a spot you like, so a back pack with 4-6 decoys is what I would do. Also bring a nice spot light to see out into the pond so you don’t waste your time walking around out there.
Thanks for your insight! I really appreciate it.

learl

Lil-Rokslider
If you do plan on going north towards the freeway I’d suggest bringing a bike and backup setup, it’s 2+ miles to the ponds at the edge of the huntable area. If you have Gaia gps you can use the Freshsat imagery layer to get a good idea of which ponds are currently flooded.

OP
David Gough
If you do plan on going north towards the freeway I’d suggest bringing a bike and backup setup, it’s 2+ miles to the ponds at the edge of the huntable area. If you have Gaia gps you can use the Freshsat imagery layer to get a good idea of which ponds are currently flooded.
Thank you