Yote gun- 22 creed or 6 creed

Planning on putting together a cheapish dedicated yote gun, 700 short action, grayboe stock, aics mags and a 22inch barrel(#4 or varmint contour). It’ll get topped with a 6x or 3-9 SWFA. Heavily leaning towards the 22 creed based on speed with 95 SMKs vs 107 SMKs in the 6mm. Barrel life and pelt damage aren’t a concern. Anyone have experience with either/both? Other thoughts, concerns or recommendations?

Last edited:
I am in the it does not matter camp. Unless you are a highly skilled shooter, both will get the job done well beyond the range at which you can connect. You aren't going to be shooting often, so recoil isn't a consideration. If you might use the gun for other activities, then that might swing my thoughts. Is factory fodder more readily available in one over the other? If you are a reloader that's not a variable.

Last edited:
OP
CApighunter
I am in the it does not matter camp. Unless you are a highly skilled shooter, both will get the job done well beyond the range at which you can connect. You aren't going to be shooting often, so recoil isn't a consideration. If you might use the gun for other activities, then that might swing my thoughts. Is factory fodder more readily available in one over the other? If you are a reloader that's not a variable.
I handload everything, it’ll likely never see a factory round either way and it’ll be strictly for yotes and informal steel plinking.

OP
CApighunter
6mm-284. Why get something boring when you reload?

Jeremy
Definitely a laser but it might be hard fitting into an AICS mag with the 105+ grain bullets... 3200 fps should be attainable with 95gr SMKs (.600bc) in the 22 creed with less recoil than a 6mm. Just ordered a #4 1-7 twist blank, now to source an action.👍🏻

amassi

WKR
Definitely a laser but it might be hard fitting into an AICS mag with the 105+ grain bullets... 3200 fps should be attainable with 95gr SMKs (.600bc) in the 22 creed with less recoil than a 6mm. Just ordered a #4 1-7 twist blank, now to source an action.
I've been enjoying the 22 creed. I'm shooting 88 eld-m because I had a bunch, it also shoots 77 lrx and 83 hammer hunters well if I wanted to plink a blacktail with it.
3200 will definitely be on the warmer side of loads. Probably easier with sizing down hornady 6 creed brass. Peterson and adg 22 creed brass have less cap.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve several 6 Creeds built on Kimbers for my kids. Getting 3050ish with factory 108s and can easily mimic that with handloads. I’m sure a 22 Creed would work for yotes but there isn’t much I wouldn’t shoot with a 108.

OP
CApighunter
I've been enjoying the 22 creed. I'm shooting 88 eld-m because I had a bunch, it also shoots 77 lrx and 83 hammer hunters well if I wanted to plink a blacktail with it.
3200 will definitely be on the warmer side of loads. Probably easier with sizing down hornady 6 creed brass. Peterson and adg 22 creed brass have less cap.

What barrel length did you go with? Originally I planned on 20-22 with a heavier barrel but now that I ordered a #4 I’m thinking more along the lines of 22-24 inches.

amassi

WKR
26" & h4350
Stopped on an accuracy node, not velocity or pressure.
24" would have been sweet

OP
CApighunter
26" & h4350
Stopped on an accuracy node, not velocity or pressure.
24" would have been sweet

Awesome. Would there be any issues necking down 6.5 creed brass? I’ve got a couple hundred pieces and a jug of 4350 laying around from a 6.5 I no longer have.

amassi

WKR
Awesome. Would there be any issues necking down 6.5 creed brass? I’ve got a couple hundred pieces and a jug of 4350 laying around from a 6.5 I no longer have.
I've read it miggt need to be neck turned as all.

I just got done screwing a 22 creed barrel on a tikka T3x action, 7.5” twist barrel finished at 22”. With the suppressor and rl26 I am shooting 88 elds @ 3160. I stopped there because I have been using the rifle for prs matches and can’t exceed 3200. It’s a mild load and it shoots well.

I have loaded up some 95 smks that I plan on trying in the next few days to see how they fly. I plan on using this rifle for coyotes this year and I am sure it will work well.

If pelt damage isn’t a concern, I’d pick 6 mm anything over 22 anything for a better BC and better anchoring on marginal shots.

When I burn out my 243 AI barrel I’ll try a 6CM next. I don’t anticipate any real world difference but it’s fun to play with new things

amassi

WKR
If pelt damage isn’t a concern, I’d pick 6 mm anything over 22 anything for a better BC and better anchoring on marginal shots.

When I burn out my 243 AI barrel I’ll try a 6CM next. I don’t anticipate any real world difference but it’s fun to play with new things
I switched from a 22-250ai to 22 creedmoor simply to not have to fire form any longer. Theres plenty of very slick heavy 22 projectiles with great bc. Negligible difference

OP
CApighunter
Got the blank and the stock today, bottom metal is on the way. Just need to source an action and it’ll get sent off to Jeff at Rivers Bend Gun Co.7B8FB04E-45D6-46C7-8E17-4B975A987E70.jpeg

Might be too late or not the OP's thing, but Brownells is having a sick sale on this Howa 6mm C barreled action
I bought one as I could not resist the low price and want for a 6mm C.