You can buy one piece of gear....what is it?

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty new to back pack hunting, and there are a lot of things that I want to buy. This site has helped narrow down my searching/testing a ton allready. Now to prioritize.

If you were starting over, with no gear, what are the first 3 items you would buy (brand/model)?

OP
G

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
My list stands like this right now:

1. Kirafu DT1 (ordered)
2. Kifaru shelter, I am thinking a mega tarp or similar, but not sure yet.
3. I am thinking Kuiu raingear

Gman

WKR
These guys have it right. Pack, shelter, sleeping bag. Many ways to go from here but those three things if done right make all the difference between an enjoyable backcountry experience and not wanting to go out again.

Yukondog

WKR
DT1
Mont Bell Super Spiral Down Hugger #1
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 (though I would trade for a megatarp. Partner is not excited about floorless shelter. Would save over 2lbs and have more room)

On the other hand i have been considering selling my T2 and buying a Duplex frame and a couple of different bags to put on it accordingly.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
On the other hand i have been considering selling my T2 and buying a Duplex frame and a couple of different bags to put on it accordingly.

I also have a T2. When I first got it I thought this thing is huge! But now I am not so sure. I do a lot of late season backpack hunting and the extras fill it up
fast. There is a DT1 in my future.

Pack, shelter, sleeping bag would be my top three.

The next step in choice depends of some other factors. Trip days, time of season(s), solo or partner, game animal hunted, location, cost your willing to spend and level of comfort or weight you will want to carry for items number 4 and beyond on your list of things to get on list part 2 :).

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I would buy a Supercub with a 180hp or larger engine and tundra tires. :) That will allow me to get that much further away from everyone else.

My real list would be the following.
1. Good pack Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 (Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, KUIU, Osprey, Barneys, etc)
2. light tent or shelter/tarp Terra Nova Laser Photon 2 (Terra Nova, Big Agnes, Hilleberg, GoLite, Kifaru, etc)
3. Mont Bell Super Spiral Down Hugger #1
4. Lowa hunter GTX Extreme boots

Yukondog

WKR
The Duplex Frame works great. I have the T1 for it and also the cargo panel. My first hunt of the year is a truck camping type hunt. I bought a couple different bags to attach to the cargo panel and I'm ready for day hunting. Can carry my water, kill kit and food for the day and then have the panel to haul out meat. Then last week of elk we are packing in for 7 nights and the T1 bag will go on for that. Awesome system!

dotman

WKR
1) Kifaru KU5200 Pack
2) Kifaru Supertarp/Annex for solo, with partner Megatarp
3) Quality Sleeping bag around 2lbs

1. DT3 (duplex frame) with cargo panel and two long pockets and two small hip pockets. This set up goes a long way.
2. A good lightweight shelter (I personally have the shangri la 5 with a nest from seek outside but a Kifaru Sawtooth is high on the list)
3. A sleeping bag and pad

These are the three items I would make sure to go top end with for maximum comfort and weight savings.

Ditto to a previous post...
Kifaru pack: DT1 or 2, Timberline 1 or 2, KU 5200 or 3700? Depends on hunting style or load capacity needs/wants.
Kifaru Shelter: Super Tarp/Annex or Megatarp/Annex w/corresponding stove.
WM Badger

tstowater

WKR
I would start this way:
1. A good pair of boots that fit. Too many threads here to recreate the wheel. If you can't walk, you can't hunt, period!
2. A good pack. For some reason, this group is sold on the Kifaru packs, but you may want to consider others.
3. I'm generally a gun hunter so I would go for a tack driving, long range custom rifle with top optics. Your pick on brand & caliber. No preference on bows.

Unless you have a bigger check book than most, it is going to cost a small fortune to do it up "right". Figure out what you want to hunt, when you want to hunt and where you want to hunt before you get crazy. Might figure out that what you would like won't work there. Get gear that will function in different environments if possible or that you can build on.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pack or Boots in my world. Shelter would come after that, I survived many seasons in cheap tents that placed in cover did just fine.

JasonWi

WKR
1. Boots (with sore/cold feet your unable to hunt for very long)..I use Lowa sheephunters
2. Performance clothing(something that keep you comfortable in multiple conditions)...I use both Sitka and Kuiu.
3. Backpack (MR, Kifaru have both done really well for me)..MR longbow/CC and the Kifaru TL1. I prefer to bring heavy loads out on the first trip.