You ever seen an 80 "INCH PLUS" Moose Rack......???

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
only in photo shop!

Man that guy is probably still chewin that meat!! Jeeze what a bruiser

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Butch King had a client that shot one down by Wildman a few years ago. I believe (though I didn't see it) that one was shot on the back side of Mt. Susitna around that same time frame.

kaboku68

WKR
Like the giant rams on Centennial Ridge in Canada the biggest Alaska-Yukon moose off the market on the backside of the Kobuk Valley Sand Dunes National Monument. They have a super abundant diet that is souped up on the limestone rich food and algae from the creek's plants. It has a hot springs that keeps it open 9 months of the year. This is on the back side of the dunes so I don't think that they are accessible by boat, so I don't know if anybody has hunted that population. I know that the Klutsch's guide on the Selawik but this is about 35-50 miles from there. The hot springs and dunes create a micro habitat that has a longer year. Wolves don't like it much there because they can fall in to the hot springs so they don't hunt those moose much, concentrating on the big herds of caribou that splinter off the Western Arctic Caribou Herd. Could you hunt it? The right pilot might land on one of the pothole lakes and brush out a runway outside of the national monument but the expenses and possible problems preclude it.

Scott Jones from Ambler Air used to take me down low to look at them. There were some moose that were definitely monster moose. This was 25 years ago so they might be gone.

I’ve seen some pigs come out of the Koyukuk river region, but none that were 80”. My buddy shot the #2 in the world back in ‘96 or ‘97 (not #2 anymore), but it was still only 78”. I have some pictures at home that I’ll try and remember to post up when I get back home next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk