You ever seen an 80 "INCH PLUS" Moose Rack......???

Caleb1986

FNG
If I did see that I would just let it go…what the hell are you supposed to do with 1200lbs of burger other than let the wolves eat it…let it breed and shoot a tasty cow…

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend who shot a 70.25" with his bow a couple years ago. It is extremely impressive!

OP
S

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have seen two, they were locked together from mortal battle. They were both more then 80" and less then 82".
I was hoping that others remembered (the 70's) when that set that was locked together was in Eberhart's Sporting Goods, across from Garry King's back after they both moved from "C" Street to Northern Lights Blvd.
Was hoping someone knew where that set is now. They did not belong to Eberhart, he just had them on display.
I think Eberhart is still alive. I drove Eberhart's Super Cub for one season, when he first purchased that super guide area, on the Alaska Peninsula.

Haha I wish I could shoot one that was 'only 78'"! :)

Yeah, you and me both!
Here’s a picture of my buddies 78” spread with a standard 4 x 8 sheet of plywood behind it. It’s a picture of a picture so not that great of quality.
a8b030c486046ac8fd4e0dccd730469c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of folks have seen more bull moose than I have, but out of many hundreds I've seen over the past 45+ years I would claim to have only seen one alive that I would guess was 80" or better. That's a great rarity. The one in Gary Kings in Anchorage many years ago was also over 80" as I recall but it was sort of an oddity - the palms spread outward almost horizontally if I remember correctly. Definitely a "non-typical" rack but very wide for sure.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Let me ask a question: I'm going to be going for a meat hunt instead of a trophy hunt. At what size does the meat lose it's "tenderness"? IOW, is it better to shoot a 40" than a 60"?

Let me ask a question: I'm going to be going for a meat hunt instead of a trophy hunt. At what size does the meat lose it's "tenderness"? IOW, is it better to shoot a 40" than a 60"?

Way too many variables to factor to answer this question. Just like any other undulate, moose reach their full trophy potential at whatever time in their life, then they start to go downhill and their racks decrease in size the older they get. So, you could kill a 50” bull that’s very old and potentially tough, but you could also kill a 65” bull that’s not super old, and potentially not all that tough. I don’t know how old the bull was on the 78” moose that my buddy killed, but I do know that it was well cared for in the field, and he gave me a front quarter off of it which was very tasty and not all that tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve never shot one that I thought tasted bad other than winter ones when they have no fat.

Oregonboy

WKR
Good lord! I can't imagine the pack out on any part of this moose.

Seeing that 78 inch bull against a 4 x 8 plywood really helps but things in perspective, holy moly.

ridgefire

WKR
Definitely some impressive racks on this thread. How do you measure a moose antler? It appears that rack is almost as wide as the plywood is long but a 4x8 sheet of plywood is 96".

That moose of Israel’s is the biggest most palmated beast I have ever seen a picture of. Nothing comes close. The day I flew into my Alaskan moose camp a Spaniard hunter was headed out and had taken a 76” moose the prior week. It was a monster. Fortunately I flew home with a 1/2“ bigger. There are some giants out there.