Young Red stags

Jager

WKR
I took these pics a couple of years ago during a backpack hunt during the rut.

I prefer to use a high end compact digital camera, simply for the pleasure of stalking in as close as possible, and the simplicity of point and shoot, I do opt for a quality camera that has a high zoom however.

I caught these youngsters out on an open face early one morning. At this age these young fellas are still usually with their mothers, though during the rut, a mature stag will push them onto the outskirts of the mob while bunching up their mothers.

The following day after I took these photos, I found their mothers with a mature stag that I then harvested, really was a memorable hunt in the backcountry.

I do a lot of harvesting of animals that are inferior in genetics to improve the overall trophy class of the herds I hunt. Game mamagement for me is another very important/interesting aspect of hunting, just the same as gear fetishes. lol Mind, every animal I harvest is a trophy for me in one way or another.

Hope you find some interest in the images, thanks for looking.

Youngsters1_zps1ff18bb0.jpg

Youngsters2_zpsaaa328e1.jpg

Youngsters3_zps47fe6a44.jpg

Youngsters4_zps76233c04.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Ryan, weights can really fluctuate with different bloodlines and environments, but typically a stag in Aust. can weigh from 380 to 500 pounds, which would be at the upper spectrum. I have seen a well bred mature Stag standing beside 3 Elk cows, who absolutely dwarfed him, looked funny really.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Lol it works.

As our deer are not native to Aust. and not managed by any statutory authority, it is open slather, unfortunatley to the detriment of the herds trophy potential. All the good animals are shot and the inferior ones left to breed, hence, it takes a lot of effort from interested hunters to keep up the status quo. Thi does differ from area to area, but, yeah Mike it is a good excuse if your finger is itchy. jking