Youngest to get the Colorado big ten?

I've got a buddy who's killed 7 of the Colorado big 10. He's in his mid thirties, and all he's got left is black bear, mountain lion, and rocky mountain big horn sheep. (Yes, he's already killed his desert big horn)

I was talking to him today, and asked him if there are any verified resources to see the ages of everybody who's killed the Colorado big ten. He didn't know of any.

We realize that the rocky big horn tag may take a very long time to get drawn, and this conversation may not matter at that point, but it's still fun to consider!

Who's the youngest person you know of to kill the Colorado big ten?

CoHiCntry

WKR
I've got a buddy who's killed 7 of the Colorado big 10. He's in his mid thirties, and all he's got left is black bear, mountain lion, and rocky mountain big horn sheep. (Yes, he's already killed his desert big horn)

I was talking to him today, and asked him if there are any verified resources to see the ages of everybody who's killed the Colorado big ten. He didn't know of any.

We realize that the rocky big horn tag may take a very long time to get drawn, and this conversation may not matter at that point, but it's still fun to consider!

Who's the youngest person you know of to kill the Colorado big ten?

Would be interesting if there's any records of this but I doubt it. The youngest is probably someone with a lot of disposable income to buy some of the hard to draw tags at auction. Getting the big 10 isn't really that hard but drawing the tags are!!! I'm pretty close myself and have been since my mid thirties but mountain goat & especially desert sheep may take me into my old age before I draw!

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Would be interesting if there's any records of this but I doubt it. The youngest is probably someone with a lot of disposable income to buy some of the hard to draw tags at auction. Getting the big 10 isn't really that hard but drawing the tags are!!! I'm pretty close myself and have been since my mid thirties but mountain goat & especially desert sheep may take me into my old age before I draw!
Agreed, it would be worth noting who's done it by drawing all the tags vs buying them, and who's done it archery only, etc.....

OP
Lil-Rokslider
To each their own I guess but imo, keeping track of stuff like this doesn't do anything good for hunting. It turns it into some kind of big wiener contest.
I hear that argument to some degree. But we keep track of stuff like this in literally every other part of life. It's just interesting. Would it change your perspective if we kept track of this without names attached? Just a note with their age, year completed, and town they're from.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I hear that argument to some degree. But we keep track of stuff like this in literally every other part of life. It's just interesting. Would it change your perspective if we kept track of this without names attached? Just a note with their age, year completed, and town they're from.
Honestly to me it wouldn't. I turns hunting into more of a competitive game about who can kill the most the fastest. Keeping track of stuff like this to me refers to sports- who was the fastest to so many wins, most home runs, most touchdowns, whatever. Hunting to me is not something that should be a competitive sport. I hunt because it is part of me. I do like to pursue big animals and have taken several. One of those I'm told would be top 50 in a state all time. However I never entered anything in a record book because it just feels like it cheapens the entire experience for me. I'm not bashing others that view it differently, just stating how I and some others feel. Hunting to me is a tradition and a way of life where each person should be able to measure their level of success by their experience - not what a record or a book tells us is success.

sndmn11

WKR
Any idea of his age when he got it done? And he did it entirely archery? What a legend

I just googled " 'justin davis' Colorado big 9"

I only care about half the animals and didn't realize there's 10, so maybe he is short one of your specific question.

I have harvested the 9. I do not have the 10. I still need a desert sheep to complete the 10. According to the CBA I am the youngest to complete the 9 species with a bow. I did it at 33 years of age. I did it all on public land and with no guides.

There are only a couple guys I believe to kill all 10 with a bow.

Not sure on who is the youngest for the 10 with rifle or bow. I have a neighbor down the street who is close to 60. He killed the 10 with rifles. And has multiple Sheep and goat. But those where the days of drawing tags easier.

For me it was always a dream from a young age to harvest all the animals of colorado with a bow. It was never a goal to be the youngest. It just fell into place. I think it’s cool to keep track of things. Kind of fun.

And I don’t have a big weiner. Think it’s more average size or maybe on the smaller side.

Last edited:
OP
Lil-Rokslider
I have harvested the 9. I do not have the 10. I need a desert. According to the CBA I am the youngest to complete the 9 with a bow. I did it at 33 years of age. There are only a couple guys to kill all 10 with a bow.

Not sure on who is the youngest for the 10 with rifle or bow. I think it’s cool to keep track of things. Kind of fun. And I don’t have a big weiner. Think more average size.
Well done. I've heard that upon harvesting the 10th with a bow you will immediately notice increased length and girth.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My first thought was Justin, but I think I knew he still needed the desert. I'll tell you what, it's a heck of an accomplishment just to "draw" all three of moose, sheep, and goat before you're 40. But that desert sheep could be fleeting for some time at this point. I know a guy that has been putting in for over 3 decades with no luck at all. That's a tough one that might just require divine intervention. But good luck Justin, I hope you get it.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
My first thought was Justin, but I think I knew he still needed the desert. I'll tell you what, it's a heck of an accomplishment just to "draw" all three of moose, sheep, and goat before you're 40. But that desert sheep could be fleeting for some time at this point. I know a guy that has been putting in for over 3 decades with no luck at all. That's a tough one that might just require divine intervention. But good luck Justin, I hope you get it.
My buddy that I mentioned in the original post drew his desert sheep tag the very first year he applied for it. Everybody hates him.

Honestly to me it wouldn't. I turns hunting into more of a competitive game about who can kill the most the fastest. Keeping track of stuff like this to me refers to sports- who was the fastest to so many wins, most home runs, most touchdowns, whatever. Hunting to me is not something that should be a competitive sport. I hunt because it is part of me. I do like to pursue big animals and have taken several. One of those I'm told would be top 50 in a state all time. However I never entered anything in a record book because it just feels like it cheapens the entire experience for me. I'm not bashing others that view it differently, just stating how I and some others feel. Hunting to me is a tradition and a way of life where each person should be able to measure their level of success by their experience - not what a record or a book tells us is success.
I see where you're coming from because I've had this perspective too. And I get you're not bashing so don't take this as a counter "attack". But it's a bit short-sighted for anyone to think they know why people chase a hunting goal or a list as some like to call it. I decided to pursue a DIY super 10 a few years ago. Just as a personal goal. None of the animals I've taken up to this point have been submitted and they likely won't be after I'm finished. That includes a few book animals; a couple of which were in the mega category and are sitting in a box 3,000 miles away. Great for people that do, going to awards banquets is probably a great way to meet people and open hunting opportunities up. My goal is a goal that I'm strictly competing with myself and my limited resources and knowledge to accomplish. It's taken me to some cool spots including a cow musk ox hunt that I made happen last year which was a blast and a great experience. It was a massive PITA and its a trip I would've kept on putting off without a goal in mind. My last two groups to finish are an elk and antelope. Both will force me to travel to a place I'm unfamiliar with and learn a different way of doing things. I would never leave Alaska to hunt those animals if I didn't need to "check them off my list." The whole list thing is just too complicated to unknowingly assign a motive and everyone has their own reasons for having one. What about guys that want to shoot each deer sub species? They got a little member or just want to experience different parts of and hunts in the US?

I hear that argument to some degree. But we keep track of stuff like this in literally every other part of life.
That’s true, but look at the current state of the country… do we want to stick to that blueprint?

Things like this should be for personal gratification, challenging yourself, if you are into that stuff, I’m not, but I very much understand it….

To me, it takes the fun out of it, I understand some enjoy that stuff and it drives them.

Justin Davis is a good example, probably the youngest, done with a bow, but a super humble guy who just loves to hunt, not a braggart, done for his own satisfaction, not for recognition.

Sounds like your buddy is kicking ass, but everything doesn’t need to be a pecker measuring contest (not saying it is for him at all)

For those of us that are just happy to be able to hunt Elk every year, that seems like an impossible dream now unless you started applying for some of those tags at least 25 years ago.

I see where you're coming from because I've had this perspective too. And I get you're not bashing so don't take this as a counter "attack". But it's a bit short-sighted for anyone to think they know why people chase a hunting goal or a list as some like to call it. I decided to pursue a DIY super 10 a few years ago. Just as a personal goal. None of the animals I've taken up to this point have been submitted and they likely won't be after I'm finished. That includes a few book animals; a couple of which were in the mega category and are sitting in a box 3,000 miles away. Great for people that do, going to awards banquets is probably a great way to meet people and open hunting opportunities up. My goal is a goal that I'm strictly competing with myself and my limited resources and knowledge to accomplish. It's taken me to some cool spots including a cow musk ox hunt that I made happen last year which was a blast and a great experience. It was a massive PITA and its a trip I would've kept on putting off without a goal in mind. My last two groups to finish are an elk and antelope. Both will force me to travel to a place I'm unfamiliar with and learn a different way of doing things. I would never leave Alaska to hunt those animals if I didn't need to "check them off my list." The whole list thing is just too complicated to unknowingly assign a motive and everyone has their own reasons for having one. What about guys that want to shoot each deer sub species? They got a little member or just want to experience different parts of and hunts in the US?
That’s awesome man!

I think the age thing was the off putting part to some, and I think there is a difference, and I have a lot of respect for your goal, and I completely understand your desire to do it.

Hunting has always been and always will be a way to test myself, not a competition against other hunters, or even a competition vs the animals we pursue, but a competition with ourselves, that’s someone who loves to hunt.

Trying to be the youngest person to complete it turns it into something different imo, that puts you in competition with other hunters, it sounds a lot more like “look at me”

That’s my perspective anyhow, right or wrong

Good luck on accomplishing your goal! Sounds like some badass adventure by default of the goals you’ve set for yourself

slick

WKR
He didn’t say don’t do the big 10.

My perception of Laramie’s opinion is that it’s about recording who did that the fastest and making it a known thing. Who cares if you did it at 10, 33, or 70.

I fall in line with Rosie and Laramie.
Justin and Mr Schmaltz sounds like you’ve had lots of adventures.

The guys that have killed all 10 are old. If he just wanted to get the 10, and be done with it, a ewe tag for sheep would solve that issue real quick. He could then knock off the bear, and lion, and have completed it. The desert for many, and really all, if you think about it, is the hold up for all the guys sitting on 9.

I used to be more in tune, but at one point say 6-7 years ago, there were only 2 guys who have killed the big 10, about 40 or so these days sitting at 9 I bet. Of those, all most likely need a desert to get to 10.

The odds are so slim with the desert sheep, I bet your friend could kill a ewe BH, and get back in the game and try for a ram further on down the line and still draw prior to those waiting to get that desert tag.

Sadly, the days of multiple sheep, goats, etc (2-3 big 8s) are long gone. That and cat prices are stupid high these days.

I think the age thing was the off putting part to some, and I think there is a difference, and I have a lot of respect for your goal, and I completely understand your desire to do it.

Hunting has always been and always will be a way to test myself, not a competition against other hunters, or even a competition vs the animals we pursue, but a competition with ourselves, that’s someone who loves to hunt.

Trying to be the youngest person to complete it turns it into something different imo, that puts you in competition with other hunters, it sounds a lot more like “look at me”

That’s my perspective anyhow, right or wrong
My perception of Laramie’s opinion is that it’s about recording who did that the fastest and making it a known thing. Who cares if you did it at 10, 33, or 70.
Maybe I just misinterpreted the OPs question. It felt to me like it was a question asked out of curiosity more than anything - especially since it sounds like this particular accomplishment has more to do with luck and time in the draw than anything. I didn't even know they register something like this in states.

At the end of the day, over a beer where we can all share more than a handful of sentences expressing our opinion, it's likely we all agree much more than we disagree.