your absolute, bare to the bones sleep system?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Occasionally I'll use a very bare bones kit for hunting. Typically several things come into play when I choose to go this route- time is on the shorter side (one-two nights), mileage/elevation gain is on the longer side and weather outlook is very favorable.

In those instances I use a 12 oz eVent bivy from Mountain Laurel Designs, an appropriate rated quilt or bag for expected temps and a 50" z-lite pad. I choose a z-lite over an inflatable in these cases as I'm often delimbing some lower branches on a spruce or fir to get well underneath it and the risk of popping an inflatable increases.

This is not a very comfortable setup. If it does happen rain/snow the eVent bivy will keep me and my bag dry (as does the thick canopy of tree I chose- if there is one!), but there is no escape when needing to dress, eat or exit.

I don't use this system a lot, but it works in a pinch when I need to go fast/light.

Anyone else?

Bunkin

FNG
I have a USGI bivy sack that I have used on occasion in conjunction with a tarp set up. Not a fan over all. Would rather use a tent....

My "bare bones" sleep system isn't much different than my regular spike camp sleep system, with the only difference being my shelter and lack of a bivy. MLD solo Patrol tarp with clip in Zpacks solo bathtub ground cloth, both in DCF (just under 15 oz. including stakes, etc.), 14.5 oz. EE quilt, and 8 oz. Xlite pad all inside a 1.5 oz. large HMG dry bag/stuff sack pillow. Total wt. 39 oz.

Poser

WKR
This is risky, but I’ll sometimes go with a MLD “FTK” bivy + thermarest and quilt. The bivy is 5.5 oz and only water resistant. I do this when I am reasonably confident in the weather and always have the option to crawl under a fur tree if I have to. So far, so good.

tdot

WKR
My emergency kit consists of Hyperlite Mountain Gear 8×10 DCF tarp, Mountain Laurel Designs apex quilt, and an Exped Synmat. Total weight including stuff sack (this is the inflation bag for the Exped) and stakes is 47 ounces.

Tarp does double duty as a shelter from rain or sun while glassing, or during a break.

Apex Quilt is used to bulk up my ultralight insulation layers in case it is too cold for the. So this ends up being a wash, as I saved a pound on my insulation layers and now I can actually move in my insulation if I need to, without sweating everything out.

Exped mat is the most overweight item, but I like to sleep comfortably and this is the same pad I would use in my regular sleep system.

If I'm planning on spending the night, I might change my quilt depending on conditions and I would definitely add my HMG pillow.

Shraggs

WKR
I have a 10x10 cuben tarp, that I can pitch a number of ways. A Borah bivy, I think the same self inflatable 50” pad and my EE 20 degree quilt. With stakes just under 3 lbs.

Never carried it.

In those conditions I go with my standard: henesy hyper lite hammock, the same tarp over, sane quilt, plus an under quilt. 4 lbs and quite comfortable for an extra pound.

If trees are sparse: Lucas happi tent its is so light! Same quilt and bivy, and an exterm pad. Just a tad over three pounds.

Beendare

WKR
Shoot in my 20's I used to roll out my bag and sleep under a small tarp.

Those^ days are over.

My bare bones setup now is my Tarptent 2.2#, my light down bag- a pound and a waffle Matt over some pine boughs....but most I bring my Exped.

______

ShakeDown

WKR
SO DST, Matty McMat Face or NeoAir Xtherm and Hammock Gear Burrow Econ 20.

I just bought a Borah Gear bivy and plan to give that a go this season.

I’d really love a DCF DST.

I sleep super cold these days, and found that I can save a lot of weight by packing extra fuel for my stove so I can put a Nalgene full of hot water inside my sleeping bag with my. I wrap it in a sock so it doesn’t burn my skin.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sleep super cold these days, and found that I can save a lot of weight by packing extra fuel for my stove so I can put a Nalgene full of hot water inside my sleeping bag with my. I wrap it in a sock so it doesn’t burn my skin.

Yup, been doing that for years.

Randy

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to the OP, my minimal, but still tolerable setup, would be a z lite pad, sleeping bag, and GTX bivy. That is perfectly fine in decent weather. In rain I will set up a tarp, low to the ground while I sleep. I’ll pitch it up as high as I can reach if I need a place to hang out. Maybe build a fire at the outer edge of it. Makes things pretty tolerable when you don’t want to bring a tent.

My absolute bare bones in ideal conditions...I have just put a sleeping bag right in the sand in New Mexico, and also just kicked my boots off and laid on a z-life with a Woobie (like a blanket shaped synthetic quilt) draped over me.

Ideally though, I actually really like my MountainSmith Mountain Shelter LT. I drop the bivy sack if I bring a tent.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hot Nalgene bottle(s) in the winter definitely does the trick; I'll often bring two 16 oz Nalgenes as they fit very well in my boots- reheat the water in the morning, put in boots, thaw froze solid boots :)

I had a Golite poncho way back, definitely a bare bones shelter!

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
My ultralight set up is pretty similar to others. I sewed a tarp out of 1.1 oz silnylon and use a synthetic sleeping bag on a ridgerest. I can augment the warmth of the bag with wearing my puffy and dumping my pack contents into a game bag and detaching the pack body which is basically a cordura roll top bag I sewed and pulling it over my feet. It goes almost to my waist. I weathered a freak september snowstorm with this and was comfortable in my 25ish degree bag. These damn hot tents are starting to ruin me tho, or i'm just getting old haha.

I am only 5’6 though, so the pack fits a bit better than might be expected . I figure that the time to be comfortable while camping is not when I’m on a mountain hunt. The more weight I carry, the slower I go and more weight I need to carry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk