your absolute, bare to the bones sleep system?

tdot

WKR
I'm like oenanthe, just a z pad and light bag in my youth have been done, then added OR bivy to the mix fend of rain/snow. Now, in my age I appreciate comfort more and never go without at least a tarp, or small tipi with exterm pad.

One thing I am wondering about for those using their trekking poles for a tarp/tipi center pole, are you moving camp every day? When I find a good central location that demands more glassing/hunting and I want to move around a little, but leave camp, I prefer at least one trekking pole to compensate for a bad knee, but also don't feel like allowing tarp/tipi to lay on ground. I have played around with using poles like B_Reynolds photo above,but I then would need to rob one of those poles back for the walkabout. I suppose this would be considered more of a spike camp type hunt than a backpacking hunt where you don't camp in the same location every day. Any good solutions out there you all have found that can allow some weight cutting and use of trekking poles with maybe just one trekking pole for a tipi and not have to bring the full center pole weight?
One of the things I decided to change after my sheep hunt this year was to have a means to leave my tent setup. I tore it down every day and that was frustrating. Hiking without poles wasnt happening for me. For next year I've gone to a smaller mid style shelter. I contacted Ruta Lucora and had a carbon pole made to my specs and also an extension for my Black Diamond trekking pole. I now have the option of leaving the tent with a single center carbon pole or if I want extra space while I'm in it, I can use the carbon pole and one trekking pole w/extension, pitched in an inverted V for max useable space in the tent. It should only add 100-150 grams and gives mea ton more versatility.

B how did that setup work for you extremely close to what I have in mind for my sheep hunt next August ,Thanks Billy

I love this setup. Works extremely well and is comfortable.
If I leave camp set up for the day, I take both poles and let the Duomid drop to the ground. I just throw my sleep system in a lightweight dry bag and leave underneath. I stressed about this before doing it, but in practice it’s worked just fine for me. If it was super wet and windy, it might make me a bit nervous, but I still think it would be fine. I have a carbon pole from Rota Locura, but I’ve quit bringing it with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking forward to trying out this new shelter here in the next couple weeks. Zpacks pocket tarp w/door and solo bathtub ground sheet. If I can make it work, it may just become my new “bare-bones” shelter.
1c73d74ddfb95ac9f815a8cd12a042e2.jpg

a10e1054d4c94a490565fe1022f80f29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ my buddy has the dcf pocket tarp/bathtub floor- he gets a ton of use out of his, pretty slick setup :)

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the same way; I like to leave the tent pitched sometimes, and always appreciate having my poles along, or at least one. Sometimes I cut a willow and use that to pitch the tent.

In my Duomid pictured above I use a single trekking pole with a short aluminum extender that came with the tent. That leaves one pole free anyway. If you do that, I recommend putting the handle at the top. In the campsite pictured above I had the trekking pole handle next to the ground, and a ground squirrel chewed the foam grip; in fact he ate about 90% of it! The little rascal gnawed a hole in my water bladder, too - I suppose eating all that foam made him thirsty.
Thanks for the tip...I'm working on extensions to get tall enough for my tipi, I'll be sure to keep the grips in the air!

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
One of the things I decided to change after my sheep hunt this year was to have a means to leave my tent setup. I tore it down every day and that was frustrating. Hiking without poles wasnt happening for me. For next year I've gone to a smaller mid style shelter. I contacted Ruta Lucora and had a carbon pole made to my specs and also an extension for my Black Diamond trekking pole. I now have the option of leaving the tent with a single center carbon pole or if I want extra space while I'm in it, I can use the carbon pole and one trekking pole w/extension, pitched in an inverted V for max useable space in the tent. It should only add 100-150 grams and gives mea ton more versatility.
Thanks for the referral to Ruta Lucora...I hadn't found them before now....

mcseal2

WKR
My emergency set-up is 5 sections of a thermarest z lite, Kuiu Superdown Pro set, and a Mytrailco poncho tarp. Items usually in my pack anyway. If rain or snow is at all likely the poncho/tarp gets replaced by a Seek Outside DST and rain gear.

My light kit when I’m planning an overnight is the Seek DST tarp or a Kifaru Paratarp depending on where I’m hunting. I use a longer piece of Z lite pad and HPG mountain serape.

For Alaska in the future I will probably take a Kifaru Lost Park jacket and pants in place of the Superdown Pro. If I have weight allowance I’ll add Superdown Ultra pants and a down vest giving me more options and more insulation. I’ve never had an issue with Superdown yet, but have always stuck with synthetic insulation in really wet places. My Kifaru Slickbag has always done so well moving moisture to the outside and drying me and whatever damp clothing I stuff in it I just really trust their stuff.

tttoadman

WKR
Six Moons Gatewood Cape and net tent. I have a old moonstone bag that is super light and compact. If I know I am roughing it, I will try to tough it out with a non insulated exped 5 class.

hiked in and fishing with a pack on my back on this trip, but this is the setup. This setup will take snow without collapsing.
IMG_1330.jpgIMG_4895.jpg