Your Best Hunt Ever.....

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We had a thread about your favorite hunting partner, so I figured we should have one on your favorite hunt.

So what is it, and what made it so memorable?

It would be hard for me to choose just one, so I'm listing 2.....

Last years Mountain Goat hunt with James (Bearhunter) would be in the top 3 for sure. I wasn't doing the hunting, but had a blast from beginning to end. The physical challenges, logistical nightmares and final result is what made it memorable, but the fact that James ended up being one of the coolest guys I've ever hunted with is what puts it on the top 3 list.

My first whitetail hunt in WI is one I'll never forget. I just got back from overseas and needed time off. I got to hunt for 30 days (and you could buy 2 doe tags a day), so I was flinging a lot of arrows, but I did kill a decent buck on public land (140's) and made two life long friends in the process.

RUTTIN

WKR
Probably when I got to watch my dad take his first deer with a bow, it wasn't the biggest buck in the world, but it sure was great to see him get it done after 54 years.

I have so many as well.

But the hunt that comes to mind is Unit 76 Idaho. I was hunting with my best friend and my uncle. My uncle took me on my first hunt. He was with me at 8 years old when I killed my first deer. My uncle is my dad in many ways. He is my idol in so many ways.

We were on top hunting Mulies. It was my Birthday (Oct 29) and we made potato pancakes for my cakes. (only thing we had..lol) My uncle is getting up in age and shot a good buck that I put the bed the previous night. I was excited to see him shoot it. The buck went really low (bad shot) and it was hell packing the deer up to camp. Although he didn't have the legs, it was the most enjoyable pain ever. To see his smile and excitement. I felt over joyed to return that deer to him. Anything I could do for this man.

I also watched by best friend shoot at great buck (170s) 10 times at 650 yards nandnever hit it. That was funny as hell. We laughed a lot. Great times.

I will never forget it.

TEmbry

WKR
Easily my 09 Kodiak island 12 day bowhunt for Sitka blacktails w a buddy of mine from Kentucky.

Tagged out on our 6th P&Y animal on day 11. Amazing time for sure.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted the entire 2007 archery season in S12 with my recurve. I was able to take my family and rented a cabin in Fairplay for the month of August. My wife took my young kids sightseeing all over CO and I hunted one ram almost every day of the season. I had him 4 different times under 40 yards and never had a good shot. It was still incredible for a Michigan boy to spend that block of time in God's country.

DSC06518.jpg

My little girl in front of Sheep Mountain. I took one day off during the sheep season, we went rafting down the Arkansas on her 7th birthday.

CA Notheastern junior elk tag

I was 16 and my dad previously helped his friend tag a good 5x5 2 seasons before I got my tag. We hunted are buts off missed 6 days of school a high school football game ( I was on the team but to me this was more important :) ) it felt like we hunted the whole state but anyways it was something I've never experienced before and I can't wait to go to Idaho this year anyways just chasing them around hearing the bugles and just the animal itself being so majestic and big it's something I never experienced and ill never forget it I was able to get 24" spike after a guy decided to shoot at the bull 600 yards plus we were after that was at least 350+ he blew it for us but that's hunting anyways it was something I'll never forget and hopefully this year I get to chase them again just in a diff state lol

I would post a pic but this is off my iPad and the pictures are on my computer that is broken :(

This is a tough one.........my 1st thought was, the hunts I haven't been on yet. The dreaming about what might be coming next year.

There was the time several years ago when I took my daughter bear hunting for the 1st time, she was about 10-11. We were sitting on a hillside glassing and out pops a cub at about 250. That kid started yelling "dad, theres a bear shoot it, shoot it! I got her calmed down and then explained that we are waiting for a bigger one. About a minute later mama popped out and she started screaming that ones bigger, shoot it!

I had to explain we don't shoot sows with cubs..........and she was one pissed off little girl. :)
I'll never forget that one.

trkyslr

WKR
This one is easy. When i took my first bull ever. It was my fourth trip for elk and i was in montana. Ihunted harder then ever covering ground (12-15 miles a day) looking for elk and on day 5, the magic happened. After chasing a herd wenfinally got in front of them and i made a 48 yard shot on the herd bull. He only went 60 yards and died in seconds. Hes a 332" 6x6, so for my first bull yes im spoiled. I injured my knee chasing this herd but my adrenaline got me through the 15 miles of pack out total. My first bull was my biggest hunting accomplishment to date.

Going on a 10 day backcountry hunt in the Eagle Cap and snagging three (4 guys) 6pt's in under 36 hours. Me on the left:

file_zpsce5ea482.jpg

Then hiking out early and running into a 3pt muley near the rig.......filled two tags in a handful of days.

Good friends, incredible country and plenty of meat for the long drive back to CA. Ahh, good times!

bowuntr

WKR
In 2009... 12 days on Kodiak. I shot 4 arrows and killed 2 p&y blacktails, a caribou and a fox. Incredible adventure that I will try to repeat someday. I love that place. Ed F

Have to be a tie for me.

In 2010,my wife killed her first buck in Arkansas. It was a wall hanger for here. At the time, it was bigger than anything I had ever killed. Then 10 days later I killed this one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 60

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sitting in a delivery room awaiting the birth of my first child (a boy) as I write this....with that said, I hope the best and most important hunts are to come. The ability to share experiences with loved ones is priceless.

I have tons of great hunts under my belt but a couple that really stick out are:

At age 14, I killed a 338" bull and a 19" skulled black bear only an hour apart. It was great fuel to a life long addiction.
Secondly, my first crazy backpack mule deer hunt. My hunting partner and I backpacked 9+ miles in the dark to a place I'd scouted some great bucks. When we hit our designated camping spot a storm came in. I clock wind speeds of 50 mph with gust in the 70's accompanied with 7" of snow. We had to stay in the tent for 14 hours straight. When the storm broke the animals came out of the woodwork (I saw 5 bucks over 150" which is unheard of in Washington). I ended up killing a solid 160" in a hole and had to stay an extra day without food, expect the deer (go meatmode). It took 12 hours to get the boned out deer and camp back to the truck.

Sea37

FNG
I'm sitting in a delivery room awaiting the birth of my first child (a boy) as I write this....with that said, I hope the best and most important hunts are to come. The ability to share experiences with loved ones is priceless.

I have tons of great hunts under my belt but a couple that really stick out are:

At age 14, I killed a 338" bull and a 19" skulled black bear only an hour apart. It was great fuel to a life long addiction.
Secondly, my first crazy backpack mule deer hunt. My hunting partner and I backpacked 9+ miles in the dark to a place I'd scouted some great bucks. When we hit our designated camping spot a storm came in. I clock wind speeds of 50 mph with gust in the 70's accompanied with 7" of snow. We had to stay in the tent for 14 hours straight. When the storm broke the animals came out of the woodwork (I saw 5 bucks over 150" which is unheard of in Washington). I ended up killing a solid 160" in a hole and had to stay an extra day without food, expect the deer (go meatmode). It took 12 hours to get the boned out deer and camp back to the truck.

Congratulations

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My grandpa was a hunting machine in his younger days. Owned his own business and would hang a sign on the door during deer season that said, closed until seasons over or we run out of tags. It was a month long back then. Finally drew a le Utah elk tag two years ago at 82 and brought his A game was standing at his side when he made the shot. Never seen him so happy big bull and his boys together for one last hunt. I'm so glad I got to be a part of it

6t4nova

WKR
My trip to South Africa last May. Can't wait to go back. Shot 7 animals in 8 days of hunting and got to see some amazing things. When I go back I am taking my wife with me and plan on staying for at least a couple of weeks.

tstowater

WKR
So far...., I'm going to go with a prairie dog hunt (wife calls it a shoot) 2 years ago. Dropped my 13 year old son off with a swiveling bench on an slightly elevated hill with a pile of dogs within 150 yards. 2-Rem 700's in 17 Rem set up with 12X Leupolds and lots of ammo. Came back a couple hours later and saw the biggest smile you could ever see. The smile and story he had are priceless. First time we (father-in-law and I) turned him loose on his own (he's been shooting since old enough to hold a gun. He has been drilled gun safety forever and was in a place where he was not able to shoot anything else0. Bought a stock from Boyd's once and sawed it off to fit--kid has been at it a while. Makes you happy when you know that you are doing something right.

Working on setting up a Wyoming antelope hunt for the two (son and father-in-law) of them this fall. I'm going elk hunting so I'm not sure I want to try that. Wife is okay with the concept. Will be a 71 year old and a 15 year old, just trying to figure out if I can just watch. Nothing like watching the kids shoot their first deer, pheasant, etc.

rodney482

WKR
2007 Quebec caribou hunt.. everyone had a blast, hunting was unreal, food was great.

79f8dfa7.jpg

IAHNTR

WKR
Just had this guy 2 weeks ago. I figure my best hunts are yet to come. Man they are work, but it's fun work. Sometimes while up in the middle of the night feeding I envision him and I traversing some remote mountainside chasing a far off bugle. Keeps me awake at least.

RSshirtandCalvinMedium.jpg