Your BHA Dollars at Work?

ODB

WKR
Little or no experience is one thing, little or no interest is another. Lather, rinse, repeat.

WKR
Hope Maurice knows that his gun violence prevention issues should deal with Chicago type problems and not disarming all of America. I wouldn't have high hopes for that.

Pretty easy for me to never join BHA though for a number of reasons. The list keeps growing.

TheTone

WKR
Like others have said, head scratcher. If you’re going to have a scholarship have it go to someone in a resource program

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
To me it makes a little bit of sense but needs to be looked at with some nuance. If someone is already interested in hunting and angling AND is going into politics. Then great that person, vote, or advocate is already in the bag. "Preaching to the choir" type of thing. However, making early in roads with those who have political aspirations may actually "flip" someone on important hunting and fishing issues. I think the goal is to have someone who is likely public land and conservation-friendly and turn them into folks who also at least get and understand the interest of hunters and anglers. Hopefully extending that olive branch and reaching across the aisle so to speak to non-hunters pays off down the road.

I also understand those who think this should go to someone who is already fully immersed in the hunting and fishing lifestyle. Chess or checkers?

ODB

WKR
To me it makes a little bit of sense but needs to be looked at with some nuance. If someone is already interested in hunting and angling AND is going into politics. Then great that person, vote, or advocate is already in the bag. "Preaching to the choir" type of thing. However, making early in roads with those who have political aspirations may actually "flip" someone on important hunting and fishing issues. I think the goal is to have someone who is likely public land and conservation-friendly and turn them into folks who also at least get and understand the interest of hunters and anglers. Hopefully extending that olive branch and reaching across the aisle so to speak to non-hunters pays off down the road.

I also understand those who think this should go to someone who is already fully immersed in the hunting and fishing lifestyle. Chess or checkers?

i seem to notice those extended olive branches only go in one direction.

im still waiting on my scholarship from HSUS

TheTone

WKR
Reading about it more it’s only offered at one university and seems to be funded by an individual not by BHA, if so why even have their name attached to it?

mlgc20

WKR
In a related story, I read that the Cattle Raisers Association is offering scholarships to political science students involved with PETA. Their goal is "to immerse future elected officials in our work and values as cattle raisers and eating steaks, in hopes that they will advocate on behalf of raising cattle for meat."

Okhotnik

WKR
I chose not to renew my BHA membership a few years ago. I feel like they do some good work, but dip their toes just a little too far into one side of the political spectrum for my liking. Regardless of your opinions, check out their selection (2021 academic year) for the BHA scholarship.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/first_bha_scholarship_awarded_may20

Now I'm sure this student is very deserving of financial support based on academic and other merits, but is this where you want your outdoor conservation dollars going? I feel there are plenty of students pursuing careers in management or conservation that need your support. Reinforces my decision not to entrust BHA with my membership.
BHA has donated nothing, not one cent, to fight states banning trapping. The org does nothing to help sportsmen. The fact that the BHA head, Land Tawny is a huge anti gun activist pretty much says it all.

Safari club, mule deer foundation, RMEF. much better orgs

Okhotnik

WKR

What important "hunting and fishing issues"
' will a political science major, with no hunting and fishing background, address working as a BHA rep? More gun control? More trapping bans in states? More wolf introduction? More predator seasons shut down? More western states paying BHA social media heroes to pimp out their hunting areas on over stressed game animals?

Hoodie

WKR
BHA has donated nothing, not one cent, to fight states banning trapping. The org does nothing to help sportsmen. The fact that the BHA head, Land Tawny is a huge anti gun activist pretty much says it all.

Safari club, mule deer foundation, RMEF. much better orgs

I'm a member of both RMEF and MDF. Both fantastic organizations. As far as I can tell, neither of those organizations did much about the New Mexico trapping ban. RMEF posted an article about the ban after it had already passed. Mule Deer Foundation never mentioned it that I'm aware of.

BHA in early February and Early March (when there was still an opportunity to kill the bill):

RMEF in late March once it was a done deal:

Personally, I'd prefer the articles come out before the problem becomes irreversible. That said, RMEF and MDF are great on a ton of other fronts, and likely didn't see the issue as directly pertinent to their core missions. That's the only explanation I can think of.

RMEF did exactly the same thing when California was attempting to ban black bear hunting. Ran a short article celebrating the opposition's success in getting the bill tabled after the fact.

Okhotnik

WKR
I'm a member of both RMEF and MDF. Both fantastic organizations. As far as I can tell, neither of those organizations did much about the New Mexico trapping ban. RMEF posted an article about the ban after it had already passed. Mule Deer Foundation never mentioned it that I'm aware of.

BHA in early February and Early March (when there was still an opportunity to kill the bill):

RMEF in late March once it was a done deal:

Personally, I'd prefer the articles come out before the problem becomes irreversible. That said, RMEF and MDF are great on a ton of other fronts, and likely didn't see the issue as directly pertinent to their core missions. That's the only explanation I can think of.

RMEF did exactly the same thing when California was attempting to ban black bear hunting. Ran a short article celebrating the opposition's success in getting the bill tabled after the fact.
Can you trap mule deer or elk? Why would these organizations get involved in a trapping ban?

BHA gave zero dollars to NM to fight the ban . They sure give money to a lot of none hunting projects. You can’t get anything done in politics without money.

Does BHA offer the Land Tawney NRA scholarship yet?? Lol

Hoodie

WKR
Can you trap mule deer or elk? Why would these organizations get involved in a trapping ban?

BHA gave zero dollars to NM to fight the ban . They sure give money to a lot of none hunting projects. You can’t get anything done in politics without money.

No, you can't trap deer or elk.

"That said, RMEF and MDF are great on a ton of other fronts, and likely didn't see the issue as directly pertinent to their core missions. That's the only explanation I can think of" - Me, circa one hour ago (in the post that you just quoted).

But you used BHA not spending any money to oppose the trapping ban as a reason to support other organizations, then listed a bunch of organizations that also didn't spend any money.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see how that might not make sense.

I still think the scholarship is dumb.

Last edited:

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider

It’s not BHTA either though right? Yet still they did something. You’ve got a bone to pick with BHA that’s evident. The realities are that they have worked to prevent trapping bans even though it’s not in their name. One of the few to do so. In Oregon the board has commented on trapping bans and signed onto opposition letters to those bans. Even though it’s not BHTA.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider

Also, in some cases what is money going to do? Going to bribe someone? Throwing money at existing legislation or proposals doesn’t really have an impact. Getting the word out and making phone calls does. I’m sure some money was spent to advertise the opposition to these bills. But it’s not one you can just toss money at to solve. Especially considering that state chapters probably have less than 5k to spend in a year.

The reality with the scholarship is it went like this. The volunteer board member The Colonel was tired of dealing with politicians who had no ties to the military during his military career. He was dealing with the same thing volunteering with BHA. He was like hey I’ve got this idea. Took it to national and they agreed to help throw a little money to make his idea a reality. That’s it. You can get as conspiratorial as you want about it but that’s the reality of how it went down.

Same way another scholarship went down.

Last edited: