Your BHA Dollars at Work?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I chose not to renew my BHA membership a few years ago. I feel like they do some good work, but dip their toes just a little too far into one side of the political spectrum for my liking. Regardless of your opinions, check out their selection (2021 academic year) for the BHA scholarship.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/first_bha_scholarship_awarded_may20

Now I'm sure this student is very deserving of financial support based on academic and other merits, but is this where you want your outdoor conservation dollars going? I feel there are plenty of students pursuing careers in management or conservation that need your support. Reinforces my decision not to entrust BHA with my membership.

Last edited:
OP
207-12A

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the student's words on being selected. Again, I'm sure he's deserving of some sort of scholarship, but there is zero connection to outdoor conservation or wildlife management. I'm not sure how BHA didn't take backlash for this, or maybe I just missed it.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I look at the greater good in everything. We have had people quite our state archery organization, our church, the company I work for yada-yada. One nitpicky little thing after another and they stomp off to their room.
If the mission meets my ideals I stay the course and avoid the noise.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I chose not to renew my BHA membership a few years ago. I feel like they do some good work, but dip their toes just a little too far into one side of the political spectrum for my liking. Regardless of your opinions, check out their selection (2021 academic year) for the BHA scholarship.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/first_bha_scholarship_awarded_may20

Now I'm sure this student is very deserving of financial support based on academic and other merits, but is this where you want your outdoor conservation dollars going? I feel there are plenty of students pursuing careers in management or conservation that need your support. Reinforces my decision not to entrust BHA with my membership.
Yep. You’re right. All too often there are entities that want you to throw your common sense away. To not believe what your eyes are seeing. To get you to believe these kind of moves are ‘good for all of humanity’.
BS!
When you call out these orgs that operate like this, they will completely dismiss your point, and likely, attack the messenger.
Your point is completely well taken, OP.

ODB

WKR
“One interesting fact about myself is that I am musically inclined but very bookish, being that I find myself enthralled in books more than worldly interests.”

What on earth is BHA doing?? How about selecting someone who actually connects the worldly interests that need attention.

Systematic(sic) barriers?
Promote ‘change’

How will this young man promote the hunting and angling his sponsor is supposedly focused on?

And for the 1000th time, if bHA has no interest in actually promoting hunting and angling, take it out of the name…entirely.

TSAMP

WKR
I understand in this age, some politics are required to operate as they do, and be successful with policy and change, But its becoming more and more apparent that BHA leadership LOVE politics, and sprinkle in hunting as required. Id prefer my orgs be the opposite.

Bottom line, Id bet if you offered Land Tawney a seat in political office, or the ability to draw any tags he wants the rest of his life, he is gonna slip off his first lite suspenders and sit his ass down.

I think I need a new orange hat.

Good freaking lord. So a scholarship to a single person from a frequently anti-hunting demographic and they're hoping he spreads the word? "sportsman are nice, they paid for my school"

I had to do a google search to try to figure out exactly what they are trying to do with that scholarship. The linked article is clearly missing context and makes no attempt at explaining the goal.

I’m pretty indifferent to the idea, but at last now I understand it.

A255A0DA-6222-4998-BE88-DC89E2FACFE5.png

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
BHA was founded by a leftist democrat. This isn’t surprising at all. BHA does a few good things, but nothing other organizations are not doing who are far more respective of our freedoms. BHA will never see any of my money. The hunting community is laterally working against their own interest by donating to BHA, they just are not aware due to BHAs clever marketing and outreach programs.

Hoodie

WKR
I'm typically a BHA defender. I think they do plenty of good work, and they've been vocal about issues that other (good) organizations have remained conspicuously silent on.

This is a head-scratcher. I could see the argument that you're intentionally looking to forge allies outside the community but calling that a reach in this instance is putting it lightly.

I don't see this as as the best use of dues.

A central argument about hunting as a form of conservation is that the strongest advocates for anything are those that rely on it in some real way. I just don't see the recipients suddenly deciding conservation is a top priority for them.