Your dream bull. What are you looking for?

I don't think about it much as I am not a real trophy hunter. But this is close, big juicy hams, long tasty backstraps succulent tenderloins and of coarse large antlers

You beat me to it! Nothing like hoisting three feet of great tasting steak in the air after popping it free from the elk!

I do really like brow tines that curve up sharply like a fish hook too!

RUTTIN

WKR
I like mass, long tines, and whale tales. I have saw some bulls shot that were big 5x5's scoring over 300 inches, those are kind of cool because of the big whale tales from the missing 6th point.

This is going to be my first season that I focus only on Elk w/o a mule deer tag. My goal is a 5X5 or Club ( a bull that I saw in the unit last year hiking out ). The unit has some GREAT bulls...I got to play around one night with a good 6X6 in the 310ish range. Cherry colored antlers with Ivory tips...made my drool :) So I had to apply!!!

ckleeves

WKR
I like huge tops, Don't really care what the first 3 points look like! I would take a 330 bull with massive tops over a 350 with big brows and 3rds. The biggest bull i have been along for grossed 355 and it was mostly below his swords and he just didn't look as impressive as some real top heavy 330 bulls.

Maxhunter

WKR
I've taken some nice bulls but I really want a 350 plus 6x6 for the wall. Hopefully that will become a reality once I draw my Arizona tag!

slim9300

WKR
A very clean typical 7x7 with long sweeping tines throughout. Lots of width. Long main beams. Lots of mass. Dark antlers with white tips. I like big whale tails too.

^^^ For a Rocky Mountain bull. My biggest went a touch over 300" so I could use a few 400" bulls before I die. ;)

I would much rather kill a giant Roosevelt than a Rocky though. Maybe 1/10,000 elk hunters will even have the opportunity to see a giant Roosevelt in their lifetime, let alone kill one.

This would be a perfect example of the Roosevelt bull of my dreams. Keep in mind that killing this bull (in anywhere but a game farm) would be like killing a 460"+ gross Rocky Mountain on public land.

Top-21.jpg

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Mine would be a 300 class 5x5...you just dont see too many of them

That would make me go 'pitter patter'... :)

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
Love big 5x5's. Like a big old mature south texas 8 pt. I saw one in NM a few years ago that would score extremely high. Would love to put a tag on a bull like that.

bnkwnto

FNG
I've hunted my whole life but I grew up in VA and I've spent most my adult life either overseas (belgium, HI, AK, Iraq, afghanistan etc) so I've never seen a wild elk in person. So my trophy bull would be any bull that came within bow range while tearing up trees, bugling and blowing snot.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
It doesnt have to be an absolute giant, just a good mature bull, at least 5 points on each side with good long tines, thick mass and a wide spread. I found my bull last year in a unit not know for elk and they just opened it this year. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would. Daniel

bobhunts

WKR
Something bigger than my first archey bull. I just can't seem to pass up meat on the hoof! I did pass up a 5x5 in unit 76 in Colorado a few years ago and went home empty. I figured a 6x6 or nothing ...so it was nothing for me. Spikes were legal there and did my damnest to shoot a spike on the last two days but momma kept things at bay for him. Would have been a cool skull mount although. The spikes were almost 36" long.Bob.

bobhunts

WKR
My dream bull is probably out of reach for a while unless God blesses a guy like me ( a bow hiker! ) with the shot of a lifetime. I do all I can to make my hunt as good as I can but never really see the big ones. They are always in the other guys pics not mine. I will say that I love to eat the first one I see and that might be my downfall.

bounds

WKR
I'm with NWHunter and a few others. Really dark chocolate horns with ivory tips on a big symmetrical 350+ 6X6. I just saw a pic the other day in the new Bugle magazine of one like this and it was beautiful.