Your Emotional Intelligence or Handling Stress Tips/ Habits

RAAAR

FNG
I'm constantly amazed by the vast array of occupations and backgrounds on Rokslide. In the last year I've seen a lot of news feeds discussing emotional intelligence (though in the past it seems like this was more referred to as common sense, which isn't so common, apparently).

I also suspect there are multiple high stress careers represented on Rokslide. I'm always up for learning new stuff or different approaches.

So, Roklsiders, if you care to do so, please share some of your favorite emotional intelligence or high stress tips or habits for daily life.

1. I've learned over the years, with regards to text messages or emails, never type angry and realize the sender isn't necessarily owed a quick response. Give yourself a response window to reply, hour, day, week, whatever, to think trough the reply.

2. WIN. What's Important Now. The WIN principal helps me prioritize what needs done in the moment when the proverbial excrement has become airborne at accelerate velocities.

Whatcha got Rokslide?
After 23 years in the USMC, and a semi stressful job what I've learned is pretty basic

1. Work is work, it is not you. Don't let your job define you or ruin your life. Leave it at work, don't bring it to your family

2. People are most important.

3. You'll only regret time at work, never time away. Take time off, as much as you can to be with those who mean the most to you. You've got one life, spend as little as you can earning a living and as much as you can living.

Sapcut

WKR
Try this, I double dog dare you!

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

And in the lyrics in Praise The Lord by Russ Taff…. “Praise the Lord, He will work through those who praise Him”

When we throw up our arms (physically and/or symbolically) giving up our own inabilities we deny we have and give in to the mentioned above…crazy, you want believe it things happen. It is real and awesome. Just try it and try not to tell anyone. I dare you.

JjamesIII

WKR
I'm constantly amazed by the vast array of occupations and backgrounds on Rokslide. In the last year I've seen a lot of news feeds discussing emotional intelligence (though in the past it seems like this was more referred to as common sense, which isn't so common, apparently).

I also suspect there are multiple high stress careers represented on Rokslide. I'm always up for learning new stuff or different approaches.

So, Roklsiders, if you care to do so, please share some of your favorite emotional intelligence or high stress tips or habits for daily life.

1. I've learned over the years, with regards to text messages or emails, never type angry and realize the sender isn't necessarily owed a quick response. Give yourself a response window to reply, hour, day, week, whatever, to think trough the reply.

2. WIN. What's Important Now. The WIN principal helps me prioritize what needs done in the moment when the proverbial excrement has become airborne at accelerate velocities.

Whatcha got Rokslide?
First off- DITCH SOCIAL MEDIA. It’s mindless emotional clutter. I did about two years ago and found my time to be too valuable to waste chasing validation from strangers. This forum is as close to it as I get. I use Rockslide as an educational tool.
I would recommend a book that just came out addressing this very issue titled Peak Mind by Amishi P. Jha she’s a doctor of neurology that studies how the human brain works in both our ability to focus, and how we deal with mental stress. Ultimately, we have a lot of distress reactions mentally due to our modern culture dealing with professional, social, and external influences.
Why does this book stands out from all of the “self help” books? The doctor gives you tools to train your brain to focus and relieve stress in what people call “mindfulness”. It’s a clinical approach to training ourselves neurologically, rather than trying to suppress stress through unsuccessful coping mechanisms. She explains to you why these other attempts, in fact, don’t work, based on proven science. By utilizing tools like fMRI test and among others, she has quantified data that validates her theories.
I am just finishing the book, I am a work in progress. I, like many other people, recognize the importance of mental well being. Accept that stress comes with most any ambition that has a risk/reward relationship. It’s part of life. It’s the way we manage it that’s important. Meditation has been helpful and I hope that I can see further progress with amishi’s work. This is an area of focus, that admittedly, I have ignored for too long.

LandYacht

WKR
Not running my proverbial battery reserves down to zero and then coming home to recharge.

It required, ironically, an emotional intelligence training to realize that I was really good at managing my energy level for my workday, but wasn’t managing it for my home life. I was giving my whole “battery” at work and then recharging at home, but it was leaving my family on the short end.

I have now reconsidered what I allow my energy to be drained on at work and ensure that I am leaving enough in the battery to remain still charged when I get home. My work and family have become better than ever.

How you manage this is totally dependent on you. It sounds crazy and maybe even difficult, but once the light turned on for me it has been night and day.

The bigger challenge is making sure I am taking care of myself to recharge for the next day. Physical and mental wellness play a larger role in this than anyone cares to admit. Sneaking in some extra work after the family has gone to bed is not doing anything to recharge the battery for the next day when I should be sleeping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk