Your Favorite Broadhead for Elk

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting NAP 3 blade bloodrunners for Whitetail. Headed to Colorado for Elk this year. I am looking for a new 125 Broadhead. I have been looking at fixed 2 and 3 blade but would like to hear what everybody has had luck with. Even if it is a mechanical.

I really like VPA 3-blade heads, but really you have a ton of great options for fixed blade heads. I would first decide if you want a one-piece head that you plan to re-sharpen on your own, or if you want a head that uses replaceable blades with no sharpening. That should help you narrow down your choices. Plenty of good heads in both categories though.

PREZ

FNG
Slick Trick Viper Trick for me...125 gr. So far all pass thru's, 2 elk, kudu, zebra, gemsbok, warthog and about 20 whitetails.

92xj

WKR
30+ deer and 2 elk complete pass through with muzzy mx3 125s. I'm confident and really enjoy the broadheads. I just won 6 brand-new for 2017 RAD Rival 125 HPVs that I plan to shoot all summer and decide if I'll use them for elk. In hand and on paper they look real good. Plus, the owner of the company now is fantastic with great customer service, which means a ton to me and what I use.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used Wac'em Exits, Shuttle T's, Strikers, NAP Spitfires, GR Fatal Steel's, and Ulmer Edge's.......all in 125gr. All did the job well except the Ulmers (with a good hit), but the Spitfire and Fatal Steel put them down quick.

e74250dc94b4cf2009238a65f44783f6.jpg

If these fly like I expect them to I will be shooting these this year. Titanium ferrule and A3 steel.

The reason I am choosing these over a silver flame is the fact they have the bleeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
WV, you didn't say what your specs were.

Only certain heads I would recommend if you are shooting a sub 400gr arrow...otherwise just about anything will work in the right shot locations.

They are a bigger tougher animal by a long ways over whitetails thus my preference has evolved to a Tapered Fixed COC head design.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
WV, you didn't say what your specs were.

Only certain heads I would recommend if you are shooting a sub 400gr arrow...otherwise just about anything will work in the right shot locations.

They are a bigger tougher animal by a long ways over whitetails thus my preference has evolved to a Tapered Fixed COC head design.

I'm shooting 300 Spartans. With 125 field tips they weighed just north of 450.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good options out there these days! Engineered for max accuracy and penetration, our precise tolerances and optimal materials give hunters as much forgiveness as possible. Many new customers choose our Iron Will Outfitters vSeries broadheads after having past issues with hangups on shoulder blades, etc. With a perfect shot, most broadheads will seal the deal. We just want to give hunters as much room for error as possible, so the off chance shoulder blade shot still gets the job done.

(Our quest to engineer the best broadheads began with a hangup on what would have been a first elk kill, for a longtime whitetail hunter. You can read more about that in our Iron Will Outfitters story).

Good luck this fall!

View attachment 50479

Last edited: