Your favorite features on your tipi

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
mfllood-
Thanks for the information on the Redcliff. It looks like a rally nice tent. I've been planning on vents and yours is advertised as being closable. I can't seem to find any close ups or details on how exactly it functions. I'd love to incorporate the option of closing them-any suggestions or help?

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
The SO tents, at least my Cimarron, have a flexible wire that's rubber coated that holds the vent open. You remove that wire and then there is a drawstring that you can use to cinch down the opening

WKR
Weed trimmer line makes a good stiff "wire" for those applications and doesn't seem to mind getting wadded up and stuffed in a sack.

If the wire is removable there is a 100% chance that I will lose it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
To be honest, I don't even close the vent that often. The reality is that you won't hold heat in a single wall, silnylon floorless tent for all that long at all even with it closed. That and after the fire goes out in the night, you will then need the ventilation to help with condensation that can build up while you are sleeping.

I think the best design was on my Nemo Pentalite where there was a velcro or zipper cover that went over the vent from the inside. That way, you could remove/replace it from inside the tent which is much easier, especially in the rain.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys-I can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences. Will make my tent a ton better and should mitigate those feelings of "I wish I'd done this different..." :).

Jeremy

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most everyone's comments so far. The only thing I would suggest is spend a lot of time contemplating the footprint of the tent, and don't be restricted to copying what is already out there. I put in a good 40 hours of time on sketchup coming up with several different designs, and modifying them and re-modifying them until I came up with a final design that I liked, and it ended up being a floorplan that you won't see in any commercial tents. If you have any other Rocksliders that live near your, ask to see their tents because sometimes they look and feel different in person than what you imagined. Think of the purpose of the tent, will it be solo or 2-3 man. If it's a 2-3 man tent, don't be shy about beefing up the materials since you can spread the weight out among 3 packs. I used the 1.6 oz Silpoly which added approx 8 ounces to the total weight but was much easier to work with, and should hold up better than a 1.1 oz material. Split up 2 ways, or better yet 3 ways, that extra weight is well worth it. I'm not a proponent of multi-use or one-size-fits-all type of gear. I want my gear to have a very specific use, and be the very best at what it does. You are doing it right though, by asking what everyone likes/dislikes about their shelters, you should end up with exactly what you want!

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Flydaho-
That's some sound advice. I'd be curious for what your footprint ended up being. I've fiddled around on sketchup which has certainly helped with measurements, calculating angles, etc. I want to be able to have room for 3 of us, but that's primarily going to be me and a couple of kids along with our gear and a wood cylinder stove that I plan to make. Kids that won't be big enough for a while to carry much anything of significance.... I ended up going with the 1.1 silpoly XL which will hopefully be a good choice (fingers crossed). The 1.6 would have been nice for the strength that you mentioned. I guess we'll see how it all comes out. I'm going to put in tie out points about 3 feet up from the bottom, two per panel. Those, coupled with the stake out points to the ground around the perimeter will hopefully help stabilize things should the weather go south.

Jeremy