Your favorite features on your tipi

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I've been figuring out the details for my DIY tipi for a while now and was just thinking about adding tie out points further up from the ground on the corners. I'd read where some guys like having them for heavy winds. I thought I'd double check here, then realized I might be missing a great opportunity to see what you all really like about given features your tipi has. So, do you really like those extra tie out points? Vents? Tall zipper? Interior tie out/loops to run a clothes line? Are there things you wish you had on yours now that you've used it? I suppose while we're at it, I'd be happy to hear any things that you wish weren't there, too.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Jeremy

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I like everything you mentioned. Tall zippers,vent, i like my tie outs about a 3rd of the way up from the bottom. It just adds a little extra room in side and gets the side walls taught. I like a strong hanging point to avoid the pole sometimes. Only other thing i can think of is a sod skirt.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Mischief. I'm planning two vents with the noseeum netting and a zipper that goes most of the way to the peak with two zipper pulls. That way I can zip down from the top for more drafting if I really feel like it. I'm also planning two tie out points on the walls just like you said-about 1/3 of the way up from the ground. I have plans as well to put a loop of webbing at the peak to hang the tent instead of use the pole if possible. Though I'm wondering about the logistics of doing so with a wood stove pipe coming out the top close by....? Not sure that'd end up going well for me?

Jeremy

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
The majority of tipis made have the loop on top so its due able but im not a seamstress. 1 after thought depending how big your making your tent is put 2 zippers on the tipi. 1 on each side similar to the Redcliffe

Sod skirt really helps it seal to uneven ground. Loops near the top help for hanging clothes and LED light string.

I wish mine had a way to get to the zipper to open it without crawling into the corner. It sucks to try and open it in a hurry when you have to pee in the morning.

A couple feet of P cord tied to the zipper slide will help with that Gunner. Just make sure you flip it into the interior.
Features I like are
Tie out like mentioned.
I don't have a sod skirt but wish I did a couple times.

I don't think there is much else without getting ridiculous.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
The bad part of higher guy outs is they put slack in the bottom portion of the tipi, if you could tie them to a tree or something elevated it might work better...just don't trip on them when a bear is chasing you around at night.

The one thing I would like on my tipi is an air vent near the bottom that I could unzip from the inside when lighting a fire. I picture a half circle type opening maybe 18" wide. Maybe with a screen maybe not.

Tsnider

WKR
clothesline inside is huge to me. double zipper so it can be vented out. the guy out points seem to add a decent amount of room when setup.

my only experience with a sawtooth

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff. I appreciate all of the comments and ideas. Anyone else have strong feelings one way or the other on those corner tie out points up a little ways? I'm curious if they help significantly in the wind like I've heard.

Jeremy

Felix40

WKR
They definitely help keep the tent from flapping and bowing in the wind. I think mid panel is the way to go instead of corner though. The corners always seem to have perfect tension but the center of the walls can use help sometimes. Jmo

I like what my Seekoutside incorporates
-2 doors, zip up from bttm and down from top as well
- vent up top
-stake it tight or high (has built in universality)
-stove jack of course
-tie outs

On the tie outs, these are fairly low, mostly for when you are sleeping, they are placed about a foot above your head.
If they were higher they would lose a bit of that feature down lower (pulled away from sleeping positions)

- It has all the loops sewn in to do a clothes line
- Carbon center pole, adjustable too
- Rectangular foot print eases a quick set up
I just marked the corner tags with orange para cord for quick identification even at night so if I had to I could get the corners set, pole placed and instantly get in out of the weather.
-It is a true 3-4 man tipi with gear, stove and wood stash area for about 2-4 nights
- height is good enough for a 6'-2' guy
-weight is as reasonable as any other in this size and it packs down about a bowling ball size, not counting pole/stakes
if needed I could arrange the pole to fit inside the stove pipe of my lite outdoors set up reducing the space for the pole in the pack.

I really feel they nailed it for the most part, at least for my needs.

R_burg

WKR
I like what my Seekoutside incorporates
-2 doors, zip up from bttm and down from top as well
- vent up top
-stake it tight or high (has built in universality)
-stove jack of course
-tie outs

On the tie outs, these are fairly low, mostly for when you are sleeping, they are placed about a foot above your head.
If they were higher they would lose a bit of that feature down lower (pulled away from sleeping positions)

- It has all the loops sewn in to do a clothes line
- Carbon center pole, adjustable too
- Rectangular foot print eases a quick set up
I just marked the corner tags with orange para cord for quick identification even at night so if I had to I could get the corners set, pole placed and instantly get in out of the weather.
-It is a true 3-4 man tipi with gear, stove and wood stash area for about 2-4 nights
- height is good enough for a 6'-2' guy
-weight is as reasonable as any other in this size and it packs down about a bowling ball size, not counting pole/stakes
if needed I could arrange the pole to fit inside the stove pipe of my lite outdoors set up reducing the space for the pole in the pack.

I really feel they nailed it for the most part, at least for my needs.

Which Seekoutside are you referring to?

Yes it is an investment. An investment into the future of my solo hunts and partners hunts both.

The Gkids and I have camped in it several times already too, so it is more than just a hunting tent for sure and worth every dollar.

I looked hard at the sawtooth but didn't like the height or foot print
I looked at the cimmaron and the 4 man tut from Kifaru and almost got one of those....
- but in the end I thought what if I had more than me, 2 big packs like a 5-7 day trip and a big pile of wood for the stove and needed to set it fast and house a guy bigger than 5-8"..... That's why I went with the Redcliffe