Your Favorite Muley "Grip & Grin" Photo Contest

Evan, did you win it at the ISE show in Denver this year? I was at the Eastman booth when Marc Smith had me sign a couple of books that he was giving away at his seminar.

Muleyman, I think you should be my guide in Idaho this fall....hehe....that thing is a TOAD! Congrats!

Idaho is the only state I have hunted more than once but have yet to put my tag on a buck. Maybe this year :)

I actually won it in 2010. Marc came in to the shop to do a seminar. It was a great one...maybe his lowest attendance BUT it was great with the people we had there bc it was very personal and were able to ask a lot and have fun with it.

groe

FNG
attachment.php

This was the first animal taken with a Heads Up Decoy. I would have loved to see this animal in another year, but we knew he wouldn't survive the rifle season with these weird beams coming from the base. Probably can't see them well in this pic.

GR

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
groe, excellent buck! Love the bases. Questions:

1) What did you mean that he wouldn't survive the rifle season with those bases?
2) Tell us about the decoy- how effective is it? how do you use? where did you get it?

Thanks

groe

FNG
groe, excellent buck! Love the bases. Questions:

1) What did you mean that he wouldn't survive the rifle season with those bases?
2) Tell us about the decoy- how effective is it? how do you use? where did you get it?

Thanks

Robby,

Our muleys in KS are very visible. Muledeer sometimes in our area have a tendancy to get shot as 2 1/2 year old deer. Not that that is a bad thing, it just sometimes makes it hard for them to reach maturity. This buck had some very unique antler characteristics that made him look bigger than he really was and like me, anyone seeing him would have certainly tried to put him down. I guess what I was saying is that he was walking around with a huge bull's eye and given their visibility, someone would have offed him had I not...but you never know.

The decoy can be handheld, bow mounted, or clamped to a solid object. They have exceeded my expectation with effectiveness. I am not a Rokslide sponsor, so I don't want to get into it too much, but you can check out our youtube videos and website just search Heads Up Decoy.

Thanks
Garrett

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks groe! that answers my question on the buck and the decoy. I'll check them out. Love the idea of a bow mounted decoy.

And again, great buck!

Jaquomo

WKR
This one's my fave because it was a self-portrait with the camera balanced on my daypack, with the self-timer.

Attachments

• Lou buck cropped .jpg
    Lou buck cropped .jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
Robby,

Our muleys in KS are very visible. Muledeer sometimes in our area have a tendancy to get shot as 2 1/2 year old deer. Not that that is a bad thing, it just sometimes makes it hard for them to reach maturity. This buck had some very unique antler characteristics that made him look bigger than he really was and like me, anyone seeing him would have certainly tried to put him down. I guess what I was saying is that he was walking around with a huge bull's eye and given their visibility, someone would have offed him had I not...but you never know.

The decoy can be handheld, bow mounted, or clamped to a solid object. They have exceeded my expectation with effectiveness. I am not a Rokslide sponsor, so I don't want to get into it too much, but you can check out our youtube videos and website just search Heads Up Decoy.

Thanks
Garrett

I have gotten to build a relationship with Garrett ( THANKS MOM :) :) -- inside joke ) and he may not be a sponsor but as a Field Editor/Pro-staffer I am done with the Montana Decoys and the like. I have a I Miss September that is going bye bye and a HUD Muley Doe that is going to be used to FINALLY kill AIRPLANE!!! (read my hunting narrative "MASS") During the 2012 season in KS Airplane will hit the dirt!!!!

Thanks Garrett for a GREAT product.

Also,

Check out headsupdecoys.com

Mulie Doe
Cow Elk
Antelope Buck
Turkey
Whitetail Buck
Whitetail Doe

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I don't have any quality field photos from the 2006 buck. The buck died in a large standing milo field and didn't bleed at all. We walked right past him when blood trailing and didn't realize it. Thought the shot was farther back than it was so I expanded my search too soon. Should have picked that field apart and we would have found him. Anyways, found him 4 days later when the milo was harvested; coyotes had beat me to it. In the excitement of finally having him in my hands I just cut the head off, then thought to roll him over to study shot placement a little better. This would have allowed for some decent photos, but it was too late. I learned several hard lessons on that buck. There is a picture of the mount somewhere on here I think.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Darin!
great photo of the buck in the snow. That is quite an accomplishment in that unit with that weapon. WOW! Late archery on good mule deer is no cake walk, but you iced that one.

Glad you can post full size pics.

Still want to go to dinner if you get up this way.

OP
D

david long

........and the winner is?

........and the winner is?

BackcountryBull Post #63
BackcountryBull.jpg
Congrats BackcountryBull! Please email your name and shipping address, along with hoodie size to [email protected].

Thanks to all who participated.