Your favorite shoulder harness? HPG, someone else?

OutdoorAg

WKR
The al a carte system of buying stand alone bags, frames, and suspension has me wondering - what's your favorite shoulder harness?

I'm thinking of putting together a Franken-Day Pack with a bag from Company X, Shoulder harness from Company Y (assuming I can get them to match up with webbing/buckles/etc)

Hill People Gear shoulder harness gets a lot of love. Anyone else have one they like?

My favorite shoulder harnesses have been Exo K2, K3 and Initial Ascent.

I have tried to like the HPG harness but I did not like the way it articulates to the suspension. The other issue I had was when I would shoulder the bag, the small piece of material at the lowest point on thr harness would flip up onto my back causing me to have to move around and try to snake my hand up in the middle of my back to fix it.

Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru were about the same for me, not uncomfortable but not as comfortable as my two favorites.

Eberlestock was awful.

I did not like the way Seek Outside fit my torso or how it's adjusted.

I have not tried a Kuiu icon suspension since before they changed into the current model. The very first Icon shoulder harness was pretty comfortable, but the frame sucked. The next generation, I did not like the foam they used.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I like the HPG shoulder harness for smaller packs. I find it works well up to the loads I tested with it at about 50 pounds. The reason I sold my lRger HPG packs is that he lumbar section rubbed my lower back and was not comfortable at all. I ,at be in the minority though since many love the lumbar area. For a belt less daypack, the shoulder harness is great.

Not a huge fan of the HPG shoulder harness. The shoulder straps are just too wide for me. I’m a big fan of the Seek Outside shoulder harness as well as Kifaru shoulder straps. I really dislike the stiff, overly contoured Mystery Ranch “yoke.”

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
KUIU Apex. Lots of padding. I had to buy the upgraded suspension because KUIU would not warranty my old one because they said I did not buy it from them. I ask them if they sold their products in stores and if not where else would I have bought it. But anyhow when I got the new suspension I tried the new shoulder straps, but went back to the Apex shoulder straps.