Your Gear list for a 7 - 14 day Dall sheep hunt please!

My gear list from 2021 is almost exactly what @mtwarden has planned.

When I go back Ill bring some more splurges for the two to four days of being stuck due to weather. A mix of seasonings, some ultra cushy camp shoes... I made a list of stuff while in camp on day 12 and it's all food related. Nothing heavy, maybe half a pound of worth of things.

It's also really nice to have something like miso soup packets or fancy coffee or some sort of splurge to pull out of your pack on a rough day later in the hunt and split it with your guide, especially if you're tired and spirits are wavering.

I went ultralight and never missed anything major but quickly realized I could have brought more pounds of stuff and left it at the landing strip it I was so inclined, it would not have been a big deal.

We took off on a big multi-day spike out from the strip and brought only one spotter, one shelter, etc, really pared down so we could get a sheep out on our backs and the only thing that was missed was food -- things got pretty lean towards the end (like, a single piece of bread with a packet of jam for breakfast and a freeze dry for dinner) but we killed a ram and solved that problem. I've hammered the food thing a little bit, and Im traditionally not a big eater, but it's one of the very few things you can plan to guarantee your future comfort. You do a huge day of mountain hunting and adding the smallest pleasure to the end of it can work miracles for your energy and disposition.
Absolutely, 100%, yup 😃
Only fly in hunt I went on where I didn’t bring extras to leave at the landing strip was my first one. Just be sure you are well below your total weight allowance.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
My gear list from 2021 is almost exactly what @mtwarden has planned.

When I go back Ill bring some more splurges for the two to four days of being stuck due to weather. A mix of seasonings, some ultra cushy camp shoes... I made a list of stuff while in camp on day 12 and it's all food related. Nothing heavy, maybe half a pound of worth of things.

It's also really nice to have something like miso soup packets or fancy coffee or some sort of splurge to pull out of your pack on a rough day later in the hunt and split it with your guide, especially if you're tired and spirits are wavering.

I went ultralight and never missed anything major but quickly realized I could have brought more pounds of stuff and left it at the landing strip it I was so inclined, it would not have been a big deal.

We took off on a big multi-day spike out from the strip and brought only one spotter, one shelter, etc, really pared down so we could get a sheep out on our backs and the only thing that was missed was food -- things got pretty lean towards the end (like, a single piece of bread with a packet of jam for breakfast and a freeze dry for dinner) but we killed a ram and solved that problem. I've hammered the food thing a little bit, and Im traditionally not a big eater, but it's one of the very few things you can plan to guarantee your future comfort. You do a huge day of mountain hunting and adding the smallest pleasure to the end of it can work miracles for your energy and disposition.
Great point from 7layerburrito on small but meaningful end of day luxuries. We bring hot spiced cider packets. We sip a serving while waiting for a freeze dried dinner to warm and hydrate while we do the same. It's a great pick-me-up with a little sugar and no caffeine.

As an outfitter and guide myself, I can't stress this enough. Every year I end up with a newbie or two that always try to justify why they brought so much junk, by saying; "well, all the guys on internet said I needed it" ........
We folks from the lower 49 tend to bring way too much stuff.

Bring extra high calorie food.

On my 14 day sheep/grizzly hunt I lost 16 pounds (that is with a last minute large pizza, bag of tortilla chips, and a bottle of salsa waiting for my flight home). I basically lost 10% of my body weight and I was in top shape with little body fat.

I know in my column the final number would have nearly payed for a guided sheep hunt...insane how thus stuff adds up
For many of us, we would be better off and just as effective in the field if we just "paid ourselves to carry what we have" (save the money) rather than spend the money to get something that weighs less. There is a point where the weight is what it is.

For many of us, we would be better off and just as effective in the field if we just "paid ourselves to carry what we have" (save the money) rather than spend the money to get something that weighs less. There is a point where the weight is what it is.
I suppose your right. But then I’d just blow the extra money on coke & whores 😉

This stuff is my main passion in life. I don’t see it as problematic to spend the extra money on nice stuff. To each his own.

Last edited: