your good (or not so good) customer service interactions of late

mcr-85

WKR
I had an eyecup go sticky and not working properly on a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42s. I'm sure it was from dust and dirt. I emailed Zeiss and had 2 brand new eyecups in the mail in a week. I was pretty happy with that.

JaredW

Lil-Rokslider
Luckily I have nothing but good to say about some recent customer service experiences.

Leupold- Most recent was a VX-Freedom scope, reticle looked like ink smudge, evidently they aren't using wire anymore. As expected they replaced the reticle. They also replaced a pair of their cheapo chinese binos that I scratched the lenses.

Vortex- Bought a scope secondhand that had a badly scuffed turret cap, called to order a new one and they wouldn't let me pay for it. It arrived in a giant box, WTH?, the box contained a bunch of knick-knack stuff including a decent ball cap.

Sent Vortex my work binos for the eye-cups to be repaired (10x50 Viper HD) they sent them back with three of the four lenses replaced, new eyecups, and cleaned up like new.

First Lite- Boundary rain jacket, inside lining material started to flake off all at once, looked like silver glitter all over me. Jacket was a few years old but not abused, they replaced it by the value, which meant I got their lesser jacket the Vapor in exchange. Vapor jacket started doing the same thing, called them back up and they sent me a new one with no hassle.

Jaccard- A spring broke in my 10+ year old meat tenderizer, lifetime warranty, asked about upgrading to a much better model, charged me $10 to upgrade.

Under Armour- Had a pair of Wall Hanger boots, loved them for elk hunting, found out they were being discontinued so I ordered a second pair and put them in the closet. 2 years later when I get them out to start working out in them for last years Idaho hunt, the soles immediately start coming off. This was my lesson learned about storing unworn glued on sole boots. Instead of informing me of my idiocy, UA gave me a store credit for the value of the boots.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I also had a great experience with Hornady. I have their Lok-N-load progressive press. I broke a part. Had no idea about their warranty and called to order the new parts. Fully covered including shipping. Back in business in a few days.

Voyageur

WKR
Had a pair of insulated Muck Boots that I wore for less than two weeks start delaminating in the heel area. Took them back to Scheel's (where I bought them) and the only question asked was if I wanted an exchange or refund. I chose a refund in order to do some more research on rubber boots. One of several reasons I support Scheel's.

For the waterfowl hunters- I had an issue with my Momarsh dog blind legs collapsing on their own. Momarsh promptly sent out 4 new legs to be safe. Great customer service.

Fatcamp

WKR
Had a pair of insulated Muck Boots that I wore for less than two weeks start delaminating in the heel area. Took them back to Scheel's (where I bought them) and the only question asked was if I wanted an exchange or refund. I chose a refund in order to do some more research on rubber boots. One of several reasons I support Scheel's.

Bought a pair of Kings gaiters early this season that didn't function well. No questions asked from Scheels and they actually marked them as a product that needs improvement to be sent back to the manufacturer.

MT257

WKR
Good:
Swarovski-the spring is going out on my focus wheel. Called got a work order within minutes, will send in after season.

Undecided:
RCBS-I had a die locknut, lockup and not come loose. Called about warranty. They asked if I was orignal owner? I said no the die was made well before I was born but my father who gave me the die is original owner. Said sorry can't help ya out with warranty...so if I were to have my father call them up they would warranty it for free I am guessing?

Bad:
Black Gold- windage bar on my Ascent verdict snap. Called them up they said I would have one in the mail that day. 3 days go by hear nothing, receive no email with tracking. Call them up say they have no idea of my parts being sent or even my call they say it'll go out that day. Call back next day said it didnt go out and would go out that day. Hear nothing by the next day finally talk to someone and kinda get stern with them about have so many interactions and nothing to show for it. Said it would be nice to have my equipment function and not have worry about calling for a tracking number. Not sure if I will continue to use their products. Will be interesting to see how their CS is now that they got bought out.

Bearsears

WKR
I had a slight tear develop on the frame pockets of my Seek Outside pack. Im pretty sure it was my fault slamming it into the back of the truck with a sandbag on it. I Facebook messaged one of their staff to ask about getting it repaired and cost. They shipped a new one that day for free.

Voyageur

WKR
About 3 weeks ago I sent my 8 man tipi in to Kifaru telling them it was 18 years old and just to be safe I would like the stake loops replaced. I also asked them to look the rest of the tipi over and fix any other issues they might find. A few days ago I got an email telling me the stake loops had been replaced and everything else looked good. Today I received my repaired tipi in the mail. The shocking part to me is that Kifaru called this warranty work and did not charge me a dime. Truly outstanding customer service.....way above and beyond what I expected.

ZPacks = Excellent CS.

Received a carbon tent pole without the rubber end cap. Quick email and received in return a "your part has shipped" notification, with tracking number. No questions. No issues. Just great customer service.

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I had the recoil pad come off of my kimber subalpine rifle on the first day of my hunt when I pulled it off of my pack.

Later in the hunt I slid down a cliff and tore up my stock pretty bad.

I called Kimber about the recoil pad as I thought that should not have happened, and I was unsure the best way to reattach it.

Kimber had me send it in on their dime. I got my rifle back in 10 days and it was like new. Brand new stock and they reshot it and included the .6 moa targets.

Well beyond my expectations and great overall experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you are in Alaska and looking to buy a snow machine, I recommend avoiding Alaska cycle center. A bunch of dimwits, not returning calls, ordering wrong parts etc etc, don’t get me started.

I consistently have great customer experience with CameraLand NY, always a pleasure to speak with Neil even when he has to tell me that my item hasn't arrived yet.

On the other hand, I had an unpleasant experience with Talley Manufacturing today. I encountered an installation problem that most people probably manage to avoid, but the experience I had with their tech support was truly awful.

I received Talley rings for my x bolt mountain pro. The manufacturer packaging mentions torque requirements, but it does not indicate whether the rings must be mounted front vs. rear. I mounted the rings, and noticed the fit looked off. I took pictures, emailed Talley, and then called their tech line for assistance. The technician let me know that it looked like I had mounted the rings in the wrong location. He let me know there should be a code of the bottom of the rings that includes an F or R to denote position. I suggested that many ring set ups I've purchased are universal fit, and I had checked the packaging, but found nothing to indicate that these were not universal. I suggested it would be helpful if Talley could include some labeling / instruction on the manufacturer materials indicating that the rings are position specific. He explained to me that doing so would be too much effort. I let him know that I am visually impaired, and having some instruction would have saved me a time, frustration, and stripping of one screw. He said, "not to sound too rude, but we designed these rings to be IDIOT PROOF. Now, I'm not trying to imply that you are an idiot, but..."

Regardless of the quality of the product, I will never buy from Talley again. Absolute lack of human decency and empathy. Your employees are your brand, your business is your customers, don't treat them like crap!

Attachments

• 20221110_080326.jpg
    20221110_080326.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20221110_080330.jpg
    20221110_080330.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 78
  • 20221110_080347.jpg
    20221110_080347.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 73
Great customer service from Maven. Several winters ago I was predator hunting and fell in the lava flows and chipped the glass on my binos. Called and asked about the warranty process. This was only 2 weeks before and upcoming Arizona hunt, I asked if they would be returned before then. They wouldn’t by but they sent me out a new pair to use on the hunt and just to ship them back when I was done. All on their dime. Hard to find much better than that IMO.

Also great from whitewater archery. Ordered some wraps and where they arrived the colors were off from the previous ones I had bought. One email and a picture and a few days later I had brand new ones.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
Great service from Maven and Kuiu. Mediocre but not bad from Kenetrek.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I had a good experience with Outdoorsman’s, bought a pan head and some adapter plates. They forgot a 1/4”X20 screw, one email to them and they sent me a couple that day. Another one was Schnee”s boots, my wife bought me a pair of pac boots as a gift, she was unaware of a coupon code. I called customer service and they honored the code and refunded the difference.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I stuck a zipper on a Mystery Ranch bag that they no longer make. I unleashed the fury to unstick it and ruined the zipper. They covered the bag under warranty and threw a bunch of buckles in the bag. I was a fan already but they completely sold me after that.