Your ideal glass setup

I use Santiam 15x binos and a razor hd 22-48x65 spotter for hunting out west. I carry the 15’s on my chest in an agc. They aren’t the easiest to free hand, but I use a tripod or trekking pole and its fine.

After finding deals on used equipment, I think Ive narrowed it down to my ultimate setup. 8x32 geovid pros in chest rig, with 12x50 EL and kowa 553 for tripod work is close to covering all the bases when hunting. For scouting and finding game when close to the truck the BTX comes out and does incredible things. I debate selling the kowa and ELs and just running the 8x32 and BTX but for intermediate distances the BTX is sometimes too much and the 12s are just too damn good.

oryxman

FNG
I run GPO 8 by 42 for glassing and then use Vortex Razor 18 by 56 for spotting and this works well. I just ordered a pair of GPO 12. 5 by 50. If you have NOT CHECKED OUT GPO optics, you need to

oryxman

FNG
I run GPO 8 by 42 for glassing and then use Vortex Razor 18 by 56 for spotting and this works well. I just ordered a pair of GPO 12. 5 by 50. If you have NOT CHECKED OUT GPO optics, you need to

Shraggs

WKR
Second season with the ZEISS 8x42 RF and have zero issues ranging in the cold. This includes a Montana December trip and all season in Michigan. My binos stay in the truck so they’re in the cold constantly.

Most of my ranging in Michigan is under 500 yards, so take that into account. A few opportunities to range in the 800s without issue. I’ll see another December shortly in Montana again.

WTSN

FNG
I’m thinking the same as OP. 8s or maybe still a 10 on the chest and 15 or 18 on a trip. One day I’ll get there.

Shraggs

WKR
I own

Swaro 8x30 cl mainly archery
ZEISS 8x42 RF mainly rifle, a system
Swaro 12x50 optional glassing
Meopta 15x56 optional glassing
Nikon ed50 optional glassing
Nikon ed78 range, truck scouting

I prefer 8 in my chest pack for hand holding, depending on what, where how high etc one of the optional may go in the pack. Or left out. ZEISS is still very good glass even at 8. I carry the the granite peak tripod for stability at minimal weight.

If it’s one bino, hard to argue against a good 10x. Maybe just me but I like glass… ha. But maybe give thought to your long range hunting goals and then what that entails for optics attributes. Purchase strategically to end up with the mix of products to cover all your hunting.

I hunt the west and have been tweaking my setup for a bit but have come to a good place and at “value” price for me. I run 10x zeiss on my chest, 18x mavens on a tripod and 773 kowa. I pack all three for most hunts.
The only other combo I’ve considered but haven’t done for financial reasons, 12nl pure, Btx 85mm and stx

Last edited:

oryxman

FNG
I own

Swaro 8x30 cl mainly archery
ZEISS 8x42 RF mainly rifle, a system
Swaro 12x50 optional glassing
Meopta 15x56 optional glassing
Nikon ed50 optional glassing
Nikon ed78 range, truck scouting

I prefer 8 in my chest pack for hand holding, depending on what, where how high etc one of the optional may go in the pack. Or left out. ZEISS is still very good glass even at 8. I carry the the granite peak tripod for stability at minimal weight.

If it’s one bino, hard to argue against a good 10x. Maybe just me but I like glass… ha. But maybe give thought to your long range hunting goals and then what that entails for optics attributes. Purchase strategically to end up with the mix of products to cover all your hunting.
How are those Meopta glasses never looked through a pair?

For what, where and the way I hunt, I own my perfect optics set up. Kowa 8X33 Gennys in an AGC pack for offhand/run & gun/ stalking situations. 10.5X44 Gennys for glassing on the tripod. A TSN-554 spotter for final assessment before planning the end game. And finally, a Leica 1600 RF.

Shraggs

WKR
How are those Meopta glasses never looked through a pair?
It is very very good. Very close to EL, more robust with minor weight penalty, equal in detail except for edges. Better diopter adjustment to me. EL has way better eye relief if you where glasses and ever so slightly brighter.

Couple years ago I did a head to head for 8 month comparison of the 12s calked a shootout.

I had the 12x50 EL’s and 15x56 SLC’s at the same time and compared them many times and I always saw more with the EL’s because of the better glass than I did with the SLC’s despite having 25% more magnification.

If No budget I would have 8x32 NL’s in a chest harness, and then 12x42 NL’s for tripod use.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
As for which 15x’s, I have used them all, and currently use the Swarovski 15’s, however the Meopta B1 Plus is a better bino. I/we are averaging 1.5-2 seasons between having to send in Swaros for maintenance/repair.

Curious about the maintenance comment here, Form. I know you spend way more days in the field than most, but what is the main reason(s) you need to send Swaros in?

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on some 15x56 Meostar B1 Plus' based on reviews and recommendations and current sales going on...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious about the maintenance comment here, Form. I know you spend way more days in the field than most, but what is the main reason(s) you need to send Swaros in?

Focus wheels broken, eye pieces failing, getting knocked out of collimation, etc.

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on some 15x56 Meostar B1 Plus' based on reviews and recommendations and current sales going on...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Having used both extensively, and currently using Swaro 15x SLC’s…. I would take the Meopta’s every time.

Those of you running 8x out west for rifle mule and elk do you ever run those solo or always bring a spotter and/or 15-18x nocs?

Last edited:
I had the 12x50 EL’s and 15x56 SLC’s at the same time and compared them many times and I always saw more with the EL’s because of the better glass than I did with the SLC’s despite having 25% more magnification.

If No budget I would have 8x32 NL’s in a chest harness, and then 12x42 NL’s for tripod use.
I think that is dam near close to spot on!

I would go 8x42 NL (or 8x32) in bino harness.
12x42 NL for tripod glassing.
ATS spotter.

I have 2 out of 3 thus far. Strongly considering the 8x and adding the 25-50 eyepiece. That combo with 8x FOV 477 feet, 12x FOV 339 feet, and the FOV with the 25-50 eyepiece....interesting!

Last edited: